↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Why do I bother with eBay? Help needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Why do I bother with eBay? Help needed
Every time I sell something on eBay I always swear I won't do it again, but I'm a mug. Anyone got any constructive advice for this scenario I'm in?

I sold an item back in April, no issues as far as I know and no contact from the seller since the sale. Today, over two months later, I get notification from PayPal that the buyer has requested a chargeback through their credit card provider and unless I can provide some sort of proof of something (not sure what) they will refund the buyer. Reason given for the chargeback is "charge not recognised".

You'll have to take my word for it that I did provide the buyer with what they paid for, but if we take that as read, what proof can I provide to Paypal? I no longer have the Royal Mail receipt for the postage, which I do usually keep for a while but not this long. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #634196 28th Jun 2017 6:07pm
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
You still got the address go round there and kick his Censored teeth in for being a Censored !!! The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #634201 28th Jun 2017 6:14pm
Bluest

If only it wasn't such a drive Laughing 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #634202 28th Jun 2017 6:17pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Contact ebay and ask why the buyer didnt launch a dispute if he had a problem with the item you sent, im sure the answer to this will be he didnt because he was happy with the item he brought. He then thought I will wait a while then get a chargeback. What kind of feedback does the buyer have? If there has been poor feedback that may strengthen your case. Hope this helps Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #634207 28th Jun 2017 6:37pm
Bluest

There is no dispute raised in EBay so not sure they'd be interested. I know they (EBay and Paypal) are one and the same, but they are conveniently separate when it suits them.

The buyer only has four pieces of feedback, but all positive. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #634211 28th Jun 2017 6:46pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I would still contact eBay and then depending how you make payments to your paypal (mine is by credit card) if yours is the same contact your credit card provider and explain the problem to them you may well be surprised how helpful a credit card comapny can be Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #634213 28th Jun 2017 6:51pm
Butchers Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I had this some years back I even had an electronic signature I'd sent the item recorded delivery and Paypal still refunded the whole amount of £300 to the scamming Censored Paypal always seem to be on the buyers side, not the sellers!

The other month I sold a headlining on eBay When I offered the guy insurance on the postage he emailed me back and said 'If the item don't arrive in perfect condition I would have to refund him in full and pay for the return postage if I wanted the item back!' I emailed him straight back saying I was going to save myself a lot of money and problems by refunding his money straight away!' I then sold it on here problem free!

Hope you get it sorted but don't hold your breath for a favorable out come Big Cry 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #634222 28th Jun 2017 7:06pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Bluest, sorry to hear about your ebay problems.

I think you have 56 days on Paypal to start and defend a charge back claim.

I know one trader who has been hit with chargebacks at 55.5 days so he had no opportunity to defend the chargeback claim. This is done as a deliberate, planned timed operation

In my opinion that is theft or fraud.

Unfortunately ebay is plagued with stolen items, fraudsters, scammer, idiots and illegal items.

We recently sold an item on ebay to an ebay idiot. Later that evening we got a request to cancel the order and the money was refunded the following day. Two weeks later we got an email accusing us of taking money out of his bank account and we were going to be reported to ebay. Barbara responded politely with the refund number.

I more then likely would have been slightly more forthright.

The idiot did not understand we can NOT take money out of his bank account. He paid by paypal and if no money in his paypal account PAYPAL can take money out of his bank account. Barbara refunded the money to the account which we got paid from which is the Paypal account!

I hate to say it but ebay is full of idiots, fraudsters, scammers and thieves.

Brendan
Post #634245 28th Jun 2017 8:08pm
Bluest

You are right Brendan, and I once again vow to never sell anything on there again. I'll try and stick to it this time.

Looking back, it's been 71 days since the buyer paid me for the item which I assume why this is Paypal chargeback and not a dispute via eBay. Fortunately, it's not an immense amount of money but I will still try to persuade Paypal it's not on. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #634263 28th Jun 2017 8:42pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Butchers Boy wrote:
I had this some years back I even had an electronic signature I'd sent the item recorded delivery and Paypal still refunded the whole amount of £300 to the scamming Censored Paypal always seem to be on the buyers side, not the sellers! <snip>

Hope you get it sorted but don't hold your breath for a favorable out come Big Cry

I had this a few years ago with an expensive item I bought from a seller in Belgium, which turned out not to be genuine as described. Ebay / Paypal instructed me to return it via a traceable means - which I did. Even though the item was delivered and signed for Paypal point blank refused to refund me.

I've used Ebay ever since it was a fairly small concern in the US only but their customer service has always been a bit iffy - same can sometimes be said about their bedfellows Paypal too. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #634267 28th Jun 2017 8:45pm
Bluest

I've just had a read of the Seller Protection Police on PayPal. It turns out that I am automatically protected from chargebacks as a result of unauthorised payments on the buyers card (which I think is what the buyer is claiming here). However, that protection only applies if I can provide valid proof of postage and proof of delivery, which I no longer have. Looks like I'm screwed. Chalk it up to experience. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #634271 28th Jun 2017 8:58pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Ebay is run purely for profit and is probably the biggest fence of stolen and fake goods in the world today. They have absolutely no interest in how the users are treated and maintain a completely indifferent attitude to their users.
The answer is simple, use eBay as a source of reference for availability and pricing, but buy or sell at your peril.
Personally, I would not go near them will YOUR barge poll.
Caveat emptor , and the seller as well
Swine 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #634273 28th Jun 2017 8:58pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Do people still use that site? In its day it was great. Then it became abused by crooks. Here in France it never really took off.
Post #634275 28th Jun 2017 9:07pm
Bluest

Well, Paypal sided with the seller because I didn't have the proof of postage any longer, refunded the buyer and charged me an additional £14 for the pleasure. Mad 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #637561 14th Jul 2017 10:04pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Sounds to me that the perfect remedy to using Ebay is using Ebay.
Hopefully you are now in remission and can take the time to sort out a permanent cure.If not, I suspect more of your money will end up in the hands of the crooks who use it. It took a £900 loss to made me realise that Ebay did not give a s**t about anyone other than themselves and Paypal are just a spinoff of the same outfit.
There is no fool like an old fool is a lesson well learnt
Commiserations on your loss.
Swine 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #637564 14th Jul 2017 10:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>