↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Why do I bother with eBay? Help needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
eBay the home of the home of the dodgy.

Twenty years ago, and yes, that is when I used to sell things on eBay, and it was good market place, not any more.

It is profits generated, and is linked to your bank.

PayPal part of eBay and is owned by eBay has our government looking into what money you have in this account, especially if you are on any type of social benefit or not declaring your proper tax, it is now listed as a question on claimants and tax forms.

if you are on benefits or a tax payer how much money do have you in your PayPal account is being looked at, that is because it is one of the few banks that is not regulated by UK banking laws, and as such is beyond the remit of UK declarations and the UK Banking regulation service, and also and more perhaps important is to pay what you owe on profits.
Those who do not wish to declare what money they earn and pay what they owe in taxes are being looked at, that is a good thing, but nothing to do with the honesty of eBay.

eBay, though there are probably some good deals to be had, once you pay them the fees deduct those and what you make in money for your item is nowhere near as good as you think.

With the exceptions of a few companies, some who are sponsors on this site, and let’s be honest the prices of those sponsors are usually higher on eBay than on their own web sites (check if you think that is not true) the rest of many adds have to be looked at to see if their items are legitimate .

eBay these days I would not trust it for one minute to buy a Defender part unless it is a registered company and even then I would go to their web site and get it cheaper.

It is not all about making money on a one off, some sponsors take note. It is about getting a customer that will deal with you time and time again, that is how you make money and eBay and some company’s forgotten that.
that. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #637569 14th Jul 2017 11:41pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I can't remember the last time I sold anything on ebay and it is only occasionally that I buy with it, usually only because what I want is not available in amazon marketplace. Mostly its the scale of the fees that puts me off, that and I am a hoarder. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #637582 15th Jul 2017 7:40am
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
My advice is once you've dealt with this issue ... cancel your eBay account,
That's what I've done , the site is full of scammers retards and dreamers.
Total waste of time and energy ! Have fun be happy
Post #637597 15th Jul 2017 9:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I may not cancel my account, as occasionally there are items you can't get elsewhere, but I will never sell on there again. I think as a buyer, if you use PayPal you are fairly well protected, but as a seller, you are left wide open to being scammed. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #637600 15th Jul 2017 9:24am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I had one recently. Sold two items on ebay to different sellers. Sadly it was all still set up to pay to my exes paypal account! Thankfully she refunded the blokes, one paid right away into the right account, other one stopped replying to emails. Ebay not interested of course, so he has a free item the thieving swine. Sadly ebay prompted me to send the items asap as according to them they were paid...I just thought it would take a day or two to show up in Paypal. What a joke. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #638671 20th Jul 2017 8:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CarMan

United Kingdom 
This is interesting! I have used eBay successfully for 10+ years without any dramas buying or selling.

However, as listed elsewhere here I now wish to sell a motorbike trailer and knowing eBay have a good audience I prepared the ad carefully last night only to be told by the system I needed to allow PayPal as a payment method which I am not at all keen on for reasons of cost and potentially a claim for non delivery even though the item was collected in person.

So, simply my question is, where should I advertise such an item?

Thanks. Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #648819 7th Sep 2017 6:08pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Use the system..

Advertise it as an Auction item for say 10 days.
In the listing make it clear the price you want.
Potential purchasers get in touch.
You follow normal safety rules..do not release until full payment is cleared.
Cancel item before Auction end.

Sold several cars this way...pretty easy TBH

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #648822 7th Sep 2017 6:34pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Thanks

Sounds like a plan
Post #648833 7th Sep 2017 7:22pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Just put cash on collection in the ad, if anyone does try to pay by PayPal, refund them. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #648838 7th Sep 2017 7:36pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
And get bad feedback Big Cry

I like Clemmo's plan
Post #648841 7th Sep 2017 7:46pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
I cancelled my Ebay account several years ago after selling an item at auction ( it went cheap ) and the seller left negative feedback with an expletive laden post. After trying to contact the buyer to sort the problem and getting no response I complained that I was not prepared to have those words used against my name on a public forum and asked them to remove the feedback as the buyer hadn't actually said what the problem was or responded to my correspondence.

The answer was no! all feedback is valid .

Cancelled my account and never used Ebay since and frankly I haven't missed it although I do like to trawl through the ads for a laugh and as others have said it is a scumbag paradise with very little comeback on the thieves.

. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #648845 7th Sep 2017 7:59pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
JJ - noted, so what is your preferred place to sell now?
Post #648848 7th Sep 2017 8:02pm
JJ

Just a thought Bluest but do you know what card provider is requesting the charge back, presumably if you can provide them with evidence of the sale then that satisfies the "not recognised" element .

Paypal is presumably the facilitator not card provider so it may be worth pushing back for a bit for more information. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #648849 7th Sep 2017 8:03pm
JJ

CarMan wrote:
JJ - noted, so what is your preferred place to sell now?

Here Very Happy

Amazon market place , sold a few bits on there ( mostly books though ).

I tend to freecycle a lot of stuff now and let someone else get the use out of an item. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #648851 7th Sep 2017 8:05pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Thanks but already for sale here and not overly keen to 'freecycle' my £500+ trailer Wink
Post #648856 7th Sep 2017 8:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>