↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Air con check and re Gas... Mine was very low :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Air con check and re Gas... Mine was very low :)
My Defenders is black and a 110, the past few days (I know its been unnaturally hot) I've thought the A/C just isn't getting cold..

So as luck would have it my local garage are doing a 'deal' for an AIR con check and refill £40

They suck the old stuff out (well a machine does..) and then weigh it and put oils / uv dye in and check for leaks, then re fill.

My car should have 625 grams of 'stuff' it had just 50 grams

I'm guessing I will have a fridge when I collect later Smile

Will report back
Post #633097 23rd Jun 2017 11:47am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I don't know much about vehicle AC, and your refrigerant was obviously low, but a load of garages recommend re-gassing every couple of years. Commercial building AC units can go for years without a re-gas. Maybe it is due to the type of refrigerant, the small quantity or the fact the joints are under more stress in a vehicle than in a building and leakage is expected??

Let's hope your AC is good on return Thumbs Up
Post #633099 23rd Jun 2017 12:10pm
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Had mine done....brrrrr.
Post #633117 23rd Jun 2017 1:54pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The two year issue is more about having them checked than actually regassing. It's just to check the level hasn't dropped to much and to check for leaks. The gas also contains oil to lubricate the compressor, so replacing that is much the same as doing an oil change on an engine.

I got mine done at Kwikfit last year, they driained it, leak tested it and refilled it. But then said it didn't seem to be cutting in so there was no charge. Still works perfectly now. Laughing
Post #633135 23rd Jun 2017 3:26pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
I would suggest that as your level was that low, you take it back in 2-3 weeks and have them check for leaks
Post #633148 23rd Jun 2017 4:17pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Who needs aircon when you can open your bulkhead flaps... Laughing Laughing
Unless you have a Puma Whistle BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #633150 23rd Jun 2017 4:29pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
gabe... they pressure test it with UV dye for leaks and run the system through... so I don't know where all the gms have gone but maybe its never been done since new...

Now when I get out I look like this... bbbrrrrr its flipin freezing

Thumbs Up
Post #633326 24th Jun 2017 7:27pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Rashers wrote:
I don't know much about vehicle AC, and your refrigerant was obviously low, but a load of garages recommend re-gassing every couple of years. Commercial building AC units can go for years without a re-gas. Maybe it is due to the type of refrigerant, the small quantity or the fact the joints are under more stress in a vehicle than in a building and leakage is expected??

Commercial building a/c systems tend to have metal piping throughout. In vehicle installations we have significant amounts of flexible hoses. IIRC that especially when new these hoses can be very slightly gas-permeable which goes some way to explaining where the gas can go whilst there are no detectable leaks. Also bolted to a hot engine is not the best place for a compressor which itself gets hot compressing the coolant gas.
Post #633349 24th Jun 2017 9:30pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Cheers Fifth Horseman Thumbs Up

It's the great thing about this Forum, there's nearly always someone who can explain.

Glad your cab is a bit more comfortable Stacey007 Thumbs Up
Post #633356 24th Jun 2017 9:53pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I had mine done after 6 years at a garage that had just spent € 12 000 on a fancy new machine. For € 60 it made a hell of a difference so I suppose it should be done every 2 years or so. I always find however that it takes a good 10 minutes to get fully going but then I often have to switch it off on a long spin. I'm surprised it still works to be honest being a Land rover and all that.

Post #633402 25th Jun 2017 7:44am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Fifth Horseman wrote:
Rashers wrote:

Commercial building a/c systems tend to have metal piping throughout. In vehicle installations we have significant amounts of flexible hoses. IIRC that especially when new these hoses can be very slightly gas-permeable which goes some way to explaining where the gas can go whilst there are no detectable leaks. Also bolted to a hot engine is not the best place for a compressor which itself gets hot compressing the coolant gas.

I think building AC pipes are also soldered at their joints, where as vehicle systems have rubber like O-rings. If the system isn't used enough the o-rings dry out and allow the gas to leak, which is why it's a good idea to run it regularly during winter too.

nb. running the AC with the heater demists your windscreen rapidly. Wink
Post #633432 25th Jun 2017 12:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1