Home > Technical > P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit
Hello All

I'm looking for some help. My local trusted independent is stumped. My local dealer is entirely useless, so not going to waste my time talking to them.

Engine (2.2) went in to limp mode last Sunday (quite hot day down here) and I thought I could detect more air noise than usual from under the bonnet. Fault code showing as P0101 Powertrain Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem. Previous experience suggested a problem with air hoses post turbo. These used to keep popping off, I replaced with BAS silicone versions which Land Rover subsequently replaced under warranty (without asking me) for the newer design by Land Rover. My assumption was that the newer Land Rover design had again failed, but engine bay too hot for me to have a proper poke about and couldn't see anything obvious. Managed to limp it home. A few days later, I drove it to the local independent to get them to investigate. Drove fine for about 2-3 miles, then when engine up to temp, lost all power again.

Have replaced Land Rover hose with a new set of BAS silicone hoses, no obvious leak or fault found in old hoses. Independent said it was MAF sensor at fault so a new one was fitted. Same error code (but presented in a different way - I'm not sure what this means). Swapping between old and new MAF sensors changes how far down the road it can be driven before fault is logged and it drops into limp mode, with the old sensor getting it further. I guess this could be down to the new sensor being more sensitive.

Local guys are stumped. Nearest competent main dealer is an hour away.

Any suggestions? If system logs a sensor error, could it fact be a chafing wire or dodgy earth somewhere else?
Post #633118 23rd Jun 2017 12:56pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
If it came to me I would be very tempted to open up the loom from the MAF sensor running backwards to the main loom just to Be sure.
It Could be a possible rub through?
Not saying it is but it's a good starting point before replacing components.

I've had a MAF wires rub through on a Transit which instantly gave it ABS/limp mode problems?

The loom on one of our work 2.2s was horrendously tight and would have easily caused problems if left.
I don't understand why they pull the looms so tight on these engines?

I take it your not getting any EGR related codes? 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #633127 23rd Jun 2017 1:57pm
walfy

Do you get the same noise as the hoses if they are split? I'm sure this is the fault code I had when I had issues. I went down the BAS hoses route but it didn't cure it but then it is a nice mod to do so no worries about that. In the end it turned out that the intercooler had split, first couple of miles would be fine but when I wanted to give it a bit of beans it went into limp mode. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #633683 26th Jun 2017 2:29pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That's exactly it. I can hear loads of air rushing out. It's BAS/Allisport one, so I'd hoped it was alright. I did ask the garage if they thought it could be the intercooler, but I'll have a proper look myself.

I can get about the same distance each time when cold before it goes to limp mode.
Post #633707 26th Jun 2017 3:41pm
walfy

Sounds like either hoses or intercooler. I ended up removing the front grill and spraying on a weak solution of washing up liquid and water. Then looked for bubbles forming. Once located, hose down with copious amounts of clean fresh water 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #633918 27th Jun 2017 6:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1