↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Could this heat cause battery failure?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Could this heat cause battery failure?
Good Morning

Quick question.....yesterday morning, struggled to get the truck started, battery struggling to turn over engine, eventually got it started, just......if it hadn't been a good starter I don't think I would have done, drove for a good hour to recharge, but the same again this morning, its been 34c here over the last 3 days, no hint of battery issues before yesterday.......could this heat have expired the battery, how do hot countries cope ? 34 isn't that hot, or do I have another issue ?

Thanks

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #632818 22nd Jun 2017 10:04am
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
What kind of battery is it?
I've been told that most AGM batteries e.g. Optima's etc don't like temperatures above 35°C

Greetings,

Joris
Post #632826 22nd Jun 2017 10:45am
johnnyd

The Label says Land Rover (Varta) 90Ah RC150 800A, I don't know if its the origianl batterry or not, if so its 2008, but I suspect not, I can't see a date on it 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #632830 22nd Jun 2017 10:50am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Self discharge is faster at higher temperatures. If the battery is 9 years old it may be at the end of its life and not keeping the remaining charge for long at when it's warm.
Post #632834 22nd Jun 2017 11:06am
johnnyd

The recommend on the varta site is for this AGM

http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/varta-g14.html

Does one really need the benefits of AGM in a defnder with no stop/start deep dischage requirement?

Is there another recommend for a Puma90 CSW 2008?

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #632842 22nd Jun 2017 11:34am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I just replaced my 9 year old std Varta as it had half of its nominal CCA. I would say it is time to replace it. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #632863 22nd Jun 2017 12:25pm
johnnyd

quick question re symptoms so i know its the battery, does some part of the starting circuit stop working if the voltage falls below a certain point, its not like a car was back in the 1980's with a dying battery where the engine just turned over slower and slower until the battery was drained, this is like two or 3 turns of the engine and then a cut off with a click, no obvious slow turning of the engine, then nothing at all for a while until the battery recovered a bit.

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #632865 22nd Jun 2017 12:31pm
NickEJ

Slovenia 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Galway Green
Regarding your original question - yes it can. This time last year I was living in Bethesda Maryland, USA where the temps at this time of the year are routinely in excess of 35 degrees C and humid to go with it. We had a two year old car and one weekend the battery died. When I took it to the dealers and the service manager just said "Oh yeah, It's the heat, batteries can't stand it. We replace more of them during the summer than during the winter".
Post #632878 22nd Jun 2017 1:22pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
In 13 years of living in southern France with summer temps always in the high thirties, I've never had or heard of it causing battery problems. Maybe I've just been lucky and now I've said that ... Rolling Eyes
Post #632883 22nd Jun 2017 1:41pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
MK wrote:
I just replaced my 9 year old std Varta as it had half of its nominal CCA. I would say it is time to replace it.

Can you test batteries for available CCA? If so, is this something a decent main dealer can do? That might explain why still last year when I suggested that maybe it was time to replace my then 8 year old original battery they told me that they checked and no need to do so yet. Are there maybe testers to measure available CCA then?
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #632885 22nd Jun 2017 1:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
johnnyd wrote:
quick question re symptoms so i know its the battery, does some part of the starting circuit stop working if the voltage falls below a certain point, its not like a car was back in the 1980's with a dying battery where the engine just turned over slower and slower until the battery was drained, this is like two or 3 turns of the engine and then a cut off with a click, no obvious slow turning of the engine, then nothing at all for a while until the battery recovered a bit.

JD

I imagine that the starter circuit will work, probably cranking slower and slower, until the terminal voltage of the battery is insufficient to allow the ECU to work properly.

Whilst not related to cranking particularly, I had an intersting experience a few months ago wilth my TD5 Disco 2 when the alternator failed on a journey. There was a steady progression of things that didn't work as the battery voltage drained away, and as far as I recall it was something like this:

1) Charge warning light came on when the alternator packed up.
2) Some while later the "three amigos", or at least two fo them, came on.
3) The radio powered down completely
4) The indicators stopped working
5) Eventually the entire instrument pack shut down, the trip mileage cleared, the speedometer, odometer, and all other instruments stopped working (the miles I drove after this didn't register at all on the odometer, nor, presumably, on the BCU or ECU)

I had a Nanocom connected which was monitoring the battery voltage on this occasion and shortly after the IPAC shut down, so did the Nanocom. As I recall, the last voltage I saw it display was around 7 or so.

By this time I was (fortunately) very nearly home, since by now there was no evidence of ANY electrical circuits working at all on the car, with the notable exception of the engine which was still running as sweet as ever.

I was surprised that although the battery voltage was clearly very low and there was no output whasoever from the alternator, the ECU was still driving the injectors and allowing the engine to run, even though everything else had shutdown. I have no certain knowledge but would conclude from this that the designer did give thought to how the ECU and vehicle system should behave in these conditions, and that there is a sort of emergency power saving strategy which comes into effect.

I was actually quite impressed.

I don't know how the TDCi would behave in similar conditions (and have no particular wish to find out)!
Post #632902 22nd Jun 2017 3:18pm
johnnyd

Very interesting and nice to see that procedure of shutdown to keep the engine going Smile

I don't think its related to my issue though, all the dashboard lights are behaving normally as is the whole vehicle, its just the starting of it in the morning since the 3 hot days........but like I say not a dying of the battery on turnover slowing etc, just 2 or 3 turns and then a click off, wait and do it again until it starts, its a good starter so i need about 5 attempts with those 2-3 turnovers, its odd and i'm not wholly convinced its just battery ATM, tomorrow morning I'll get a meter on the battery terminals and get the wife to turn it over, see how many volts on load i have.

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #632910 22nd Jun 2017 3:35pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
ericvv wrote:
MK wrote:
I just replaced my 9 year old std Varta as it had half of its nominal CCA. I would say it is time to replace it.

Can you test batteries for available CCA? If so, is this something a decent main dealer can do? That might explain why still last year when I suggested that maybe it was time to replace my then 8 year old original battery they told me that they checked and no need to do so yet. Are there maybe testers to measure available CCA then?
Eric

I got a Korean made 850 CCA, 100 Ah std battery. SMF60044 model (refers among others to size and locking mechanism AFAIK). There are more fancy battery types but this is good enough for me. I reckon there are dedicated testers at battery shops. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #632915 22nd Jun 2017 4:02pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I fitted a Yuasa one from Halfords, 100ah instead of 90 and 900cca rather than 800. Even the casing is well made. They're not that expensive either.

Genuine Land Rover batteries are extortionate to buy, yet in practice are no better than after market ones, though some believe them to be magical. Very Happy
Post #632925 22nd Jun 2017 4:38pm
johnnyd

Do you have the Halfords model number per chance? 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #633041 22nd Jun 2017 10:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>