↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Could this heat cause battery failure?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Post #633042 22nd Jun 2017 11:47pm
pannawonica

Australia 
[quote="NickEJ"]Regarding your original question - yes it can. This time last year I was living in Bethesda Maryland, USA where the temps at this time of the year are routinely in excess of 35 degrees C and humid to go with it. We had a two year old car and one weekend the battery died. When I took it to the dealers and the service manager just said "Oh yeah, It's the heat, batteries can't stand it. We replace more of them during the summer than during the winter".[/quote]

Same thing happened too me with a work Rollux, been driving round all morning parked up for a minute got back in and it was dead completely! Out came the auto sparky and he said he'd done another six battery changes already. High under bonnet engine temps combined with ambient in the mid 50C, most people including myself would only get two years out of a good battery in our vehicles! Big Cry
Post #633395 25th Jun 2017 6:36am
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
......update on this.........after two days of waking up to a dying battery and only just getting the truck started, I took it for a run into Bristol on Thursday when it was cooler, and Friday, Saturday and today the battery was absolutely fine in the morning, with no sign of any issue whatsoever........how bizarre. I am guessing either it wasn't charging properly in the extreme heat, or it was losing its charge massively in the heat while stopped/stationary. Will conditioning the battery now help preserve its life at all? Whats the recommended reconditioner?

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #633422 25th Jun 2017 11:25am
Martyn668

United Kingdom 
Someone mentioned under bonnet temperature in an earlier post. That was what I was thinking. Most cars, and Series, have their batteries under the bonnet where temperatures must surely get way higher than 35 Celsius. Under the seat in a Td5 (and Puma?) I would think they get a much easier life.
Post #633446 25th Jun 2017 1:37pm
zsd-puma

johnnyd wrote:
......update on this.........after two days of waking up to a dying battery and only just getting the truck started, I took it for a run into Bristol on Thursday when it was cooler, and Friday, Saturday and today the battery was absolutely fine in the morning, with no sign of any issue whatsoever........how bizarre. I am guessing either it wasn't charging properly in the extreme heat, or it was losing its charge massively in the heat while stopped/stationary. Will conditioning the battery now help preserve its life at all? Whats the recommended reconditioner?

JD

I've got one of the Ring smart chargers, i'm very impressed with it so far. Your battery will definitely need a proper mains charge, as alternators are pretty inefficient at recharging dead batteries. I think it takes soemthing like 8 hours at a fast idle to fully charge a dead battery and that's assuming there are no other loads on the alternator.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/gar...d-diagnose
Post #633590 25th Jun 2017 11:46pm
johnnyd

Hmmmm truck won't start again in the heat.......same battery as last year, odd how the heat kills it, i have put it on a rin‘g charger repair cycle to see if that saves me 120 quid

Anyone put a Yuasa YBX5019 High Performance Starter Battery, Silver

In a defender 90- as a replacement, it says compatible on all the sites....if i do need one

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #714486 26th Jun 2018 12:26pm
Cetane

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
This gets my vote. Had them on 4 cars of the years.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5013/

Cant really go wrong with Bosch.
Post #714564 26th Jun 2018 8:24pm
zsd-puma

I've got the Yuasa HSB019 as you have, been fine for the past 18 months that I've had it.

They come with a 5 year warranty. If it is faulty, take it back to Halfords or wherever and get them to change it, it won't cost you £120. Wink You shouldn't even need a receipt as they usually have their first charge date on them, so they can see it's less than 5 years old.

The only problem I've had with mine is I fitted a USB socket and set my dash cam to run continuously, that'd flatten it in a week or so if it wasn't driven. But since I switched the camera back to only operating if there is a shock or the vehicle is in motion it's been fine.
Post #714566 26th Jun 2018 8:26pm
johnnyd

hmmm new battery fitted, it didnt start first time, but then did, and now it wont again, i have put it on charge, it says 60 % charged......do batteries mail order come fully charged? This is from Tayna

I am not conviced it was just a battery problem ATM, what else could it be electrically? Engine turns over about 4 times then stops and then wont turn over again for a while......

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #714980 28th Jun 2018 1:48pm
Cetane

Heat can affect alternators.
It may be that its on its way out.

Id expect to see a charge V of around 14. This should remain the case even under load.

Go for a run and get the motor hot and bothered and then when you get back test the voltage across the battery with it running. Do it unloaded and then again with headlights and heated windows etc on.

Worth a shot.

Ive watched an alternator die over the course of a 3h race. Slowly decreasing its average output voltage. Was due to heatsoak.

Cheers
Post #714984 28th Jun 2018 2:15pm
johnnyd

I have just checked that, and the alternator seems to check out OK on my Ring battery conditioner, showing 14.5v on running, I think it is something to do with the post i have just “made in the “2.‘4 Puma section

www.defender2.net/forum/topic47486-30.html

I stopped the engine then immediately tried to restart it, and it continued to just turnover and not fire, rather than the usual turnover of about 4 turns then cut out.

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #714989 28th Jun 2018 2:50pm
Cetane

If the battery is consistently low, then there are 3 causes.

1) Not getting charged. Dodgey alternator etc.

2) Have a draw that you dont know about.... Disconnect terminal and use a ammeter/multimeter in between to see what draw is when everything is off.

3)Nuked battery (ruled out)

Reading your other post, it could be your starter. They can also be bothered by the heat. Though quite why this would mean your battery was going flat intermittently I'm not sure?

Which conditioner do you have? Im very dubious of anything that tells me the %charge of a battery.

Edited to add

Having read through all of the other posts in that thread is interesting. Let us know how you get on.
Post #714994 28th Jun 2018 3:12pm
johnnyd

Hi Cetane

Just measured the draw, once things have settled down, with inserting the multimeter, the current draw drops to 0.04 mA ie with the scale set to 20mA i get a reading of 0.04

So I don't think its the Alternator, its a new battery, and a draw of 0.04 mA

I dont think the battery is going flat, i just think something is preventing it from starting, like the immobiliser kicking in or similar.

The conditioner is one of theses.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RSC612-Battery-Ve...ing+rsc612

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #715002 28th Jun 2018 3:42pm
Cetane

You're probably right. It's good you have at least discounted a few things it could be.

In truth you got a good run out of your last battery. I'd at least take heart in the fact it was probably due a replacement soon anyway.

I know FA about the imobiliser on these, so I'm gonna duck out.

Good luck trouble shooting. Thumbs Up

Cetane
Post #715011 28th Jun 2018 4:08pm
Fernando

Argentina 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
Los terminales flojos en el selenoide del motor de arranque?
Post #715134 29th Jun 2018 10:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12