↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Pilot bearing grease?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MR_JAMES

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have said bearing in my hand (genuine ford) and its a roller bearing in an enclosed housing with what looks and smells like normal lithium grease spread around the rollers. 1953 80"
1987 mini city e
2011 90"
Post #632524 20th Jun 2017 9:38pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If it's a roller bearing, it is definitely worth adding a splodge of lithium grease whenever you get the chance.
Post #632550 20th Jun 2017 10:38pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
We used to use molybdenum disulphide grease, sparingly, on spigot bearings, old or new.
Seemed to work just fine. Possibly the stickiest grease known to man Very Happy
Post #632560 20th Jun 2017 11:58pm
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
blackwolf wrote:
^^ Indeed, a good point. People also nowadays seem to spend far more time with the clutch held out, or riding the clutch, than in the past, and this will of course wear the spigot bearing more (there is only ever movement of the input shaft in the spigot bush when the clutch is out, and the bearing really isn't intended to be very heavy duty).

So if you want a long trouble free life from both your clutch release bearing and your spigot bearing, drive properly and use the clutch properly!

4wheeler wrote:
... there was a graunching sound (is that even a word?) ...

I am please to put your mind at rest, "sound" is definitely a word! Rolling with laughter

Hi Blackwolf,
I am so relieved to find out that "sound" is an actual word. The money spent by my parents on my education has not gone to waste! Laughing

I must admit that I sit at the traffic lights with the clutch depressed either in neutral or in 1st gear. I never ride the clutch though and it is a pet hate when I see others obviously doing it. Given the traffic in the city obviously an auto box is ideal but unfortunately the VM Transit was not sold with an auto option in Australia. That would have been perfect.

So far I have not had any further issues with the new bearing assembly. Interestingly the Transit was trouble free for 130,000km, had a bunch of issues, then hasn't been bad for the last 75,000km. I suppose that is just age/distance related. The electronic niggles it has is a whole other story.

Given Land Rovers seem to be well known for self - lubricating properties, most bits should be covered in oil most of he time. Big Cry
Post #632833 22nd Jun 2017 11:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12