↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Problem with interior LED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
Problem with interior LED
My 110 camper is nearly finished and we'll be sleeping in the back so i decided to install an LED light above our heads as a reading light. I took the feed from the standard interior light, through a switch and to an LED unit like the 3rd item here https://walkercomponents.co.uk/interior-lights/ . I wired it so it would only work when the original interior light was off ie doors shut and it worked as it should. I then changed the bulb in the original light for an LED like this http://fourby.co.uk/epages/950004277.sf/en...oon%5B1%5D and it worked ok but the additional LED wouldn't. When i switched it on only one of the LED's in the unit illuminated and there was a faint glow from the LED in the original light unit. I changed back to the standard bulb and everything worked as it should, is there a fix for this or should i be looking for an alternative dedicated power source for the additional LED?
Post #632782 22nd Jun 2017 8:24am
Rickydodah

I've been trying to get my head aroumd this and without the details of how you've wired can only think of: as the interior light is switched on the earth side the new Led bulb can't provide a strong enough earth path for the additional lignt to work properly. Neutral I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #632787 22nd Jun 2017 8:36am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I replaced the interiour light bulbs (consuming TEN Watts) with these LEDs and although the sellers claim "CAN compatible" two different LEDs show a faint glow when the light switch is in the middle position (lights on when doors open). Has something to do with internal resistance ("CAN compatibility" seems to mean that there is an additional resistor built in, so "modern cars" that check the status of their bulbs won't think the bulb is broken).
My solution is not to use the switche's middle position Cool
Post #632837 22nd Jun 2017 12:19pm
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
My 110 is a Tdi with no clever electrics so i didn't have the problem of the bulb faintly glowing when the doors were shut, only when i switched on the new LED. Rickydodah's theory sounded plausible so i did a couple of checks and it would seem he was right Thumbs Up . I now had a choice, stick with a standard bulb in the original light or rewire the new light to a dedicated power source. I've just spent most of the morning removing interior trim to run wire to the aux fuse box but i now have LED's in both lights and all are working correctly Very Happy
Post #632852 22nd Jun 2017 1:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1