↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Dioscovery Sport views
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It's basically the Freelander 3. The new name seems to confuse a lot of people.

My sister has one, HSE Dynamic lux spec with the Ingenium diesel, seems to like it. Goes well, lot more comfortable than a Defender (obviously), will cope with a bit of off roading if need be, but it's never going to be a Defender in terms of competitive off roading. It'll certainly get you about in the worst of weather and in comfort.
Rear visibility isn't fantastic, but that's quite common on many modern cars, reversing camera is an option though.

Would i buy one? Probably not, but then i wouldn't buy a Ferrari either, because neither is what i need. It doesn't mean it's a bad car.
Post #631223 13th Jun 2017 11:19pm
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
I guess it's what you are comparing it to. I am considering one to replace the estate as do reasonable miles and want somthing to go for weekends away to the in laws with the kids. I want 4wd as both me and the misses do farm track work but don't really need it as managed with a 2wd seat estate for the last few years with just a few scary moments. It fits multi stories which is a must for me and seats 7 which is useful with 2 kids. Also considering the Audi A4 allroad. Lovely car as had one a few years back and not so 4x4 but very impressive off road as I found out on a couple of occisions. On paper for me the disco wins hands down but....

Would I replace the defender with one no chance but to replace the car? Common says yes I do wish there was somthing a little more interesting in the family smallish SUV market however not sure that will ever happen as you need problems to give somthing character which is now designed out.
Post #631664 15th Jun 2017 6:37pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 
You may not get an entirely objective view on a Defender site becuase it doesn't leak, rattle, rust, break down or need £££'s of upgrades to make it bearable to drive more than 50 miles in. Razz

We bought one in 2015 - nice test drive, ordered, wife really liked it. Car delivered to dealer, recall on wiring issue carried out so we could take delivery and were given a Disco 4 for 3 weeks.

We cancelled the Disco Sport and bought a Discovery 4!!

But the Disco Sport was nice, easy, practical, I'm not a fan of the interior but there's nothing wrong with it and it wins a lot of group tests. Look nice if specced well. But a bit bland overall.

Great deals on the current Volvo XC60 and the new one looks nice. 2002MY Defender 90 H/T
Post #631777 16th Jun 2017 8:08am
pannawonica

Australia 
All the tests, reviews say everything has moved on from the Defender, I sort of agree. However I never see them where I go with trailer in tow, Rottie chainsaws and whatever else,it's Grandads old axle it just does job. If I burger it up due too pilot error I can fix her up without $$$$$$ Big Cry I paid $42k for her and I'm sure I wouldn't be too far from that six years later, but with much respect mine does live bait off the seal!👍
Post #631800 16th Jun 2017 10:37am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Does it have to be new - if you want a superb all rounder how about an L322? Plenty of engine options - as long as it's a V8 Whistle

You'll get a hell of a lot of car for the money they're fetching these days. When I was looking for something more comfortable for the road miles I used to cover I was seriously considering a Disco 4, however even at the time the Range Rover's were on average about 10k cheaper. And you got a V8. I was genuinely surprised when I gave a lift to a friend (who's owned pretty much every Land Rover model from a Series I up to the latest L405s), at the time he had a brand new top of the line Disco 4 and he said my 7 year old Range Rover was waaaay more comfortable than the Disco.

Sure they're not quite as practical as the Disco but you can still get a lot of stuff in them and they don't half shift, especially considering their weight due to that V8 (did I mention that already).

Off-road they'll absolutely knock the socks of a standard Defender, even well prepared ones. The only major downside is they don't have a lot of after-market parts for off-road (blingy stuff yes - practical stuff no) and they're a bit wider and the tyres are a bit naff because very few people take them off-road seriously. I went through ~£3k of tyres in the first 3 years because I was continually rubbing the sidewalls on the tracks I was doing.

Economy is probably as good as if not better than a Defender - my 3.6TDV8 averages 30-35mpg on a motorway run and about the same as my 300Tdi running around. The worst I had was 19mpg towing a 2 tonne milling machine on a 1.5 tonne trailer... Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #631875 16th Jun 2017 7:52pm
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
In our extended family there is a 65 reg Disco Sport, and also a 15 reg VW Tiguan. Both drivers prefer they're vehicle over the other one, however in my opinion the VW is a better vehicle. One of the main reasons being the VW is ready to go 365 days a year, the Disco needs a day or two every year to go back for wiring recalls. And its just so damn expensive for a vehicle that was supposed to be the replacement for Land Rover's entry level model, the Freelander!
Post #631881 16th Jun 2017 8:40pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
its awful! although maybe as a freelander 3 its ok

We have one at the minute, rattles, visibility, seats, features etc etc - awful. Jumped into the evoque after a few days of the ds and actually sighed - the seats were more comfortable it rode better etc

And our DS is a HSE Dynamic almost top spec! Mike
Post #631916 17th Jun 2017 8:53am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
aweful thing the new d-sport. had one a few times whilst my old d4 was in for service. Just isnt a land rover to me. You could be driving a kia.
Post #632087 18th Jun 2017 2:23pm
psimpson7

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
We have had a few as courtesy cars. I quite like them. The last one was had was the latest 9 speed and it in general was a far nicer place to be than the Evoque we had the time before. 2001 90 HT 6.0LS/6spdAuto.
2003 90 td5 soft top.
2014 90 XS SW 2.2.
Post #632156 18th Jun 2017 9:57pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I cant agree

The DS is a nice freelander, or ok in that bracket - it isnt a touch on the evoque - despite being a bit bigger, its certainly cheap Mike
Post #632295 19th Jun 2017 3:47pm
cobra_mark

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Barolo Black
Too many recalls and electrical faults something a defender can excuse but the DS costs a bit and has no build quality.
Post #632345 19th Jun 2017 7:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12