↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Offers to buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
Offers to buy
Hello chaps. I see people posting about this occasionally on Facebook but today it was my turn to experience it for real. These guys almost didn't see it but came back once they did. I wasn't there at the time, gf answered and the guy apparently asked if the def was for sale. When she said no he responded he would give a good price for it. She just closed the door on him.

I know this is proof of nothing and these types of post on social media usually attract a lot of negativity, but it's made me quite concerned that they will come back for it. Knocking just as an excuse to come over and see what security they need to defeat later. Maybe I'm just being paranoid though. It was caught on camera - only set that up yesterday so pretty good timing. Sadly not good quality enough to get the van reg.

Not sure what to do now though. I'm used to coming back and seeing business cards offering to buy it any time I leave it somewhere more than 5 seconds, but it feels a lot worse having it happen at the house.

This is in Beeston, Notts.

( slightly better quality: https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/230AE7D28A8ADC79_201706 )
Post #628907 4th Jun 2017 4:57pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
For a quick fix while you look to improve security could you park another vehicle across the drive. Yours , Friend, neighbour ?

Just a thought. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #628914 4th Jun 2017 5:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Definitely wrong doers!!! I would be going to the police with a copy of the footage. Obviously not much there to launch a prosecution but the actions captured on cctv are highly suspicious and are not typical behaviour of a potential car purchase. It's good information/intelligence for the police. The guy coming up the path and the vehicle may already be known to them and if the police are already onto them, this incident may just provide the extra needed to make a successful warrant application. You have the info. Go on the attack! Costs nothing to pass it on to the cops.
Post #628917 4th Jun 2017 5:44pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
The other thing he may have been doing is knocking on your door to see if anyone was inside, perhaps if not then your Defender may have gone... For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #628918 4th Jun 2017 5:50pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
All sorts of possibilities. Eg. Yours didn't get stolen on that occasion but let's say 2 minutes later a Defender a couple of streets away was! Who do we think the prime suspects are going to be?

This is not going to be an isolated one off incident. Someone somewhere I suggest not too far away from your area has had their Defender stolen by this team.

Your cctv could be vital evidence.

S'pose you can tell these low lives get me angry! I'll get off my soapbox now
Post #628920 4th Jun 2017 6:00pm
dorsetsmith

send your vid to the police
Post #628924 4th Jun 2017 6:16pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
It would really concern me.
It's a very odd way to go about buying a Defender!

Like the others have said, tell the police and try to immobilise it while it's parked up, pull some fuses, relays etc.

I know it's a pain but would hate to see another disappear into thin air Big Cry 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #628934 4th Jun 2017 7:05pm
Teario

Thanks guys, didn't really occur to me they may just move on and have another one off later in the day.
I've sent the video on to the police now. There's also a regular PCSO patrol around here so next time I see one of them I'll also have a chat to them about it.

There's only one other landy nearby that I know of, so just took a trip over there to check on it and thankfully it's safe and sound.

The Defender is our only car so I have nothing else to block it in with. A few weeks ago I swapped to sawtooths and that's the first time in 2 years of ownership I've spent money on something not security or keeping it running, so I'd like to think I'm not quite a sitting duck. There are a few things I still know can be improved though, so I best get on those this week.

Worst case, I have somewhere else I can keep it which is a bit more secure. It's far away from the house which is good, but also means if something happens to it out there I've got no hope of getting to it in time.
Post #628944 4th Jun 2017 7:47pm
foxyred

England 1994 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Montalcino Red
I only live a few miles from you ! Drive a van around beeston/stapleford every day, wiil be looking out for a swb transit with a white ball thing on the aerial if I see it I will wright down the reg number

Last edited by foxyred on 4th Jun 2017 10:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #628964 4th Jun 2017 8:51pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Not everyone who knocks on the door wants to steal your Defender. I have been the one knocking on doors occasionally, looking to buy a few tired looking Defenders

Admittedly, not in a pikey Transit van...
Post #628978 4th Jun 2017 9:34pm
Teario

Thanks for keeping an eye out Foxy. I knew you were near me but didn't realise you were that close. Surprised we haven't crossed paths already by now.

Mikey, I know not everyone is up to no good. Back in my uni days I saw this lovely little Riley Elf rotting away outside a workshop. Always got tempted to go in and ask about it but had no time, money, space or knowledge to take it on. It was there the whole 4 years I was studying. Finally graduated, got a steady job and a place with enough room for a project so went over to ask around and... it was gone Big Cry

This situation doesn't quite feel as innocent though.
Post #629010 4th Jun 2017 11:09pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
That didn't look like an innocent offer to buy to me... I'd be looking at putting a couple of posts in/moving the car for a while.
Post #629055 5th Jun 2017 9:49am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I'm in the north of the county but I'll keep an eye out and take down the reg if I see it. I'm sorry but anyone driving a white transit is a suspect in my opinion. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #629057 5th Jun 2017 10:38am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
teario i have a folding post in my garage if you can arrange collection you can have it
Post #629476 6th Jun 2017 2:12pm
srod

Looks odd, but maybe not all bad...

I had a similar thing to this happen to me a couple of years ago, same kind of shoddy Transit... except not after my Defender but an old Talbot Express campervan that had majorly failed it's MOT which I had since started using as a shed.

The guy was well dodgy, asked me to name my price, I was sure it was some kind of scam. I said it's not for sale, it's Censored , you don't want it, I couldn't buy a shed for what I could comfortably ask for it...

He then handed me a grand* in cash, I said of course sir! We filled in the log book, and much to my amazement he then drove it away, never seen or heard anything more about it. Recently moved house so delighted I didn't have to bother scrapping it.

*actually when I counted it after he had gone it was only £950 but that seemed close enough.
Post #629485 6th Jun 2017 3:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>