↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Southern Spain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BossHog

England 
Southern Spain
Any tips or advice for travelling through France and camping in Spain, presently we are travelling down to Barcelona southern Spain middle of July for a month via the tunnel in the 90 with Globe Master in tow. Heading firstly to Southern Spain then who knows, anyone travelled this route ?.....We arrive in Calias France at 2.45am Sunday morning and intend to pleasantly plod down to Barcelona, for example will fuel be readily available on a Sunday.
Post #628743 3rd Jun 2017 9:12pm
languedoc

Scotland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alaska White
There is a tanker strike throughout France just now. Friends have found no problems on autoroutes and since I live in the back of beyond 45 mins from Andorra border, we never get affected.

There are plenty of fuel tracker systems in the papers online here. Try thelocal.fr for English speaking help.

As far as travelling on a Sunday, even little stations in the countryside have chip and pin pumps. We actually had chip and pin here 10 years before the UK so you can always get fuel. I always carry a fuel can strapped in the back just in case. Try and make sure you plan your trip with filling up mostly in Spain because it's under €1 per litre there and it's €1.19 here
Post #628830 4th Jun 2017 8:31am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Gazole is €1.16 at the large supermarkets over here in my bit of Provence Thumbs Up On the autoroute its a shocking €1.39 Shocked so avoid using them where possible. I didnt realise they were striking again? No shortages here that I've seen. I hope you have aircon in that 90 as its hot and getting hotter. Have a fantastic holiday mate! Thumbs Up
Post #628834 4th Jun 2017 8:39am
languedoc

Scotland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alaska White
It's only affecting Paris and surrounding just now apparently. According to the news this morning.

Basically, it's holiday season in France so assume they will strike!

And watch your parking in AutoRoute service stations because a friend had their door jimmied with a tiny hole under the handle and their stuff ransacked 30km south of Bordeaux while they were in the station
Post #628835 4th Jun 2017 8:45am
BossHog

England 
Many thanks guy's on the fuel advice much appreciated, also possibility of 90 getting ransacked, there are two of us so we will ensure the outfit is not left unattended. We have air con and also an additional plug in fan, have been getting the 90 ready in anticipation of high temperatures, window tints, and sun visor etc, again many thanks for your advice Thumbs Up
Post #628896 4th Jun 2017 4:24pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
I never leave any of my motors unattended in service areas even in the U.K.
Post #628945 4th Jun 2017 7:51pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Hi
Speak to Mellie at
Www.Los-rubiales.com
She would be more than happy to let you camp on her land in Almeria province.
She's not far from Murcia take a look at web page for location ....fantastic scenery
As she's surrounded buy mountains.
Tell her her brother tom recommended you Have fun be happy
Post #629123 5th Jun 2017 2:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black

Click image to enlarge

This was taken on small hill at rear of house, would be great place to camp as you will have the benefit of
A 360 view so would get sunrise and sunset👍
Only 10 mins from Hurcal overa
25 mins from San Juan costal town
And 40 mins from mojacar

Enjoy👍 Have fun be happy
Post #629126 5th Jun 2017 3:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BossHog

England 
Many thanks for the recommendation Tom, appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #629310 5th Jun 2017 10:13pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Re: Southern Spain
BossHog wrote:
Any tips or advice for travelling through France and camping in Spain, presently we are travelling down to Barcelona southern Spain middle of July for a month via the tunnel in the 90 with Globe Master in tow. Heading firstly to Southern Spain then who knows, anyone travelled this route ?.....We arrive in Calias France at 2.45am Sunday morning and intend to pleasantly plod down to Barcelona, for example will fuel be readily available on a Sunday.

Did the route you described on my motorbike. Effing hot. Effing, effing hot. From Barce went via Madrid down (to Estepona) and via Granada/Valencia back. Beautiful country if you stay away from the tat we have imported. Spanish are super friendly but don't speak much English outside the main tourist areas. When you cross the border between Perpignan and Barca, use the coast road, very beautiful. Also, would recommend a different route out and back. Barca is not actually the shortest route to the south, Bordeaux, Biarritz, San Sebastien and Madrid is, so definitely throw that in the mix out or back. San Seb area has totally different scenery to the south, gorgeous. You'll love it wherever you go. And hopefully you're a Team Honda fan as with the number of REPSOL garages you see, you'll be paying Marquez and Pedrosa's wages Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #629500 6th Jun 2017 5:48pm
BossHog

England 
Thanks Gren some good pointers for our trip, some of which we intend to do such as taking a different route out and back, and taking coast road from border to Barcelona, and looking forward to all of it except the repsol part! Shocked
Post #629561 6th Jun 2017 10:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1