↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting a check temp sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Fitting a check temp sensor
I finally got round to fitting my Check Temp sensor today. I thought I'd write it up for you in case anyone needs to do the same.

Firstly, I'd like to say that all the electrical figuring out was done by Dgardel Bow down I'll publish one or two of his diagrams so you can see what a stirling chap he is Thumbs Up

First things first: take the radio out (make sure you have your unlock code - 4 digits).

Next, take out the torx screws from the main panel - there are 2, either side of the heating.

Next, using strong, manly fingers (Grrrrrrr) start behind the clock and pull the dash panel forwards. Then prize the front off

It should look a bit like this. I found that it was easier to unplug the clock to give me a bit more forward movement but didn't unplug anything else (although you could if you need more access). As you can see, I've pulled the two radio connectors up over the top for easier access later.

Click image to enlarge

Here's a diagram of the connections on the back of the radio - courtesy of Dgardel Bow down
We're going to tap into Socket A for the Check Temp. Note: although there are 8 pins, only 4 were connected on mine.

Click image to enlarge

Next - the terrifying bit. Cut through the wires to socket A (the grey one on mine). Regardless - IT's THE LOWER ONE.
I then stripped the ends of the 4 wires and terminated them in a junction block.

Knowing approximately where I was going to put the Check Temp, I trimmed the 4 wires (red, yellow, purple, black) to about the right length (giving myself another foot just in case Very Happy ). Stripping their ends, I spliced them onto the correct wires still housed in the radio connector block A. I just twisted and soldered the wires.

The Check Temp has many wires in it's main harness. They are:

Ground (Black) - Connect to pin 8: Earth (Black)
Key Power (Purple) - Connect to pin 7: Switched positive (white and orange)
Position lights (Yellow) - Connect to pin 6: Illumination (Red)
2x Interior sensors (Black)
2x Exterior sensors (Black)
3x Relay connectors (Grey; Blue; Orange) - Not used. I bundled them up and zip tied them together
Positive (Red) - Connect to pin 4: Permanent positive (Purple)

Then connect these in the terminal block already attached - obviously make sure you line up the radio connector wires to their opposite numbers - the main one to watch out for is the purple because you now have two of those Wink

I then folded the Check Temp wires back and secured them to the main radio harness.

Then next terrifying bit. Draw round the outside of the Check Temp housing on masking tape and stick it where you want to set it. The panels on the RHS and LHS of the centre console have nothing behind them so are good sites. Make sure it's level Wink I then drilled out the corners and used mini hacksaw blades to work my way down. I finished the hole up with a knife.

With the housing in place, you can pass the wires behind the dash and bring the Check Temp harness through the hole. You can see the bundled relay wires hanging down. I suppose i could have cut them off but I thought I'd leave that for another day.

I notice that dgardel Bow down managed to take his outside sensor to the corner of the front wing. I couldn't see an easy way through the bulkhead and I feared that by the time I'd worked my way out, i wouldn't have enough wire left to get me away from the engine.
I routed both sensor wires up the A-pillar. i dropped the fuse cover under the steering wheel, removed the speaker by the driver's knee and that gave me plenty of access.

Click image to enlarge

My door rubbers come off pretty easily (thanks Land Rover) so I fed both wires up between the rubber and the roof on the inside.
The inside sensor, I carried on - over the door aperture - to where the plastic trim starts above the driver's head. It would have been neater to take the headlining off but I couldn't for the life of me get those grey plastic tree studs out. Maybe someone can point out the easy way of doing it.
The outside sensor carried on for a few inches but crossed (under the rubber) to the outside of the door frame. It then doubled back on itself and I routed it via the gutter and roofrack and attached it to the back of the snorkel. I'm sure there are neater ways of doing it and it remains to be seen how long it stays there but it's quite a neat solution.
If you can route it through the bulkhead or out under the floor to somewhere on the chassis, that's probably a better solution.

Final job is to put everything back together Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Mine stands a bit proud at the moment - which is because the plastic of the dash, through which I've mounted the Check Temp housing is too thick for the housing's little restraining clasps. I could just widen the aperture and glue it in - again, something for another day.

It seems to work perfectly and apart from losing all the presets on my radio, that works too.

I hope this helps anyone that is either thinking of fitting or buying the Check Temp. It's an elegant solution and the whole job took me around 3 hours (although I was being super-cautious).

HTH
Alan

Thanks again to dgardel Bow down One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #58101 9th Feb 2011 7:44pm
dgardel

Italy 
You are welcome !!!

but it seem to low, in my opinion...

My "external" position

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

My installation (yes I know in the wrong side Mr. Green )

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #58137 9th Feb 2011 9:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Great write up Alan Thumbs Up

and thanks to Daniele too Thumbs Up
Post #58139 9th Feb 2011 9:16pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Bow down Bow down Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #58152 9th Feb 2011 10:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Good description i put mine higher up similar to DGs, i put some tape the same size as the guage were i wanted it to see what it would look like and if i could see it ok Thumbs Up
Post #58155 9th Feb 2011 10:07pm
alantd

I experimented with where to put it. I agree it's a bit low (the LCD screen doesn't have a great viewing angle).

However, I figured I don't really need to look at it very often - usually when I first get in and on occasion thereafter - and I wanted to leave room for a couple of banks of switches when I eventually get round to fitting the extra lights, the compressor, the interior lights ... Very Happy

It also means that it isn't in my peripheral vision when I'm driving. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #58165 9th Feb 2011 10:37pm
kljw

Scotland 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Auto Santorini Black
well done, i will be following your example when mine arrives. Cheers
keith
puer claudius
Post #58170 9th Feb 2011 10:43pm
Paullr90

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Evening guys,
Just wondering where people have bought their check temp sensor from?
I quite fancy one as well (depending on the price...)
Has a nice factory fit look.
Excelent write up by the way Alan!
Cheers
Paul
Post #58184 9th Feb 2011 11:53pm
alantd

@Dgargel - where did you route your sensor wire through the bulkhead?

There are doubtless going to be instances where i need to take wires through to the engine bay. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #58419 11th Feb 2011 10:24am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Paullr90 wrote:
Evening guys,
Just wondering where people have bought their check temp sensor from?
I quite fancy one as well (depending on the price...)
Has a nice factory fit look.
Excelent write up by the way Alan!
Cheers
Paul

Paul

Conrad UK

http://www1.conrad-uk.com

Search for 854714 - 89

Bob
Post #58454 11th Feb 2011 2:06pm
dgardel

Italy 
alantd wrote:
@Dgargel - where did you route your sensor wire through the bulkhead?

There are doubtless going to be instances where i need to take wires through to the engine bay.

I use the Cobs's photos (thank you Cobs Embarassed )

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #58535 11th Feb 2011 8:43pm
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
You're welcome - I need to re-route my external sensor - At the moment it's on the passenger side and seems affected by engine temperature - other than that a great piece of kit.
Post #58541 11th Feb 2011 9:13pm
alantd

I can report that my external sensor (fitted to the snorkel) is still in place.

However, the plastic warms up on sunny days Embarassed

I think I need to find a new home for it Whistle One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #59865 18th Feb 2011 3:48pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Heres my way Thumbs Up

I have drilled a 25mm Ø hole in the bulkhead for all the wiring. The hole is behind the drivers speaker, accessible under the bonnet next to the brake servo. I ran my external temp sensor cable through this hole and it easily runs down the drivers wing with the existing wiring and I have located the actual sensor just behind the grill slats (same as aD3)
The internal sensor cable runs up the A pillar and the actual sensor pokes out the head lining where the interior mirror is located. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #59872 18th Feb 2011 4:31pm
kljw

Scotland 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Auto Santorini Black
Hiany one had issues with these devices? have not installed mine as yet, but connected the positive and negative leads to check all well.
the unit briefly lights, and then goes off. hjas any one else this happen? Cheers
keith
puer claudius
Post #60034 19th Feb 2011 5:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>