↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Double Din dashboard used for two single Din advice.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Double Din dashboard used for two single Din advice.....
hello,
Can anyone who has a Puma double din conversion, please advise if it the dash panel might also accept two singe din units? Has anyone done this?? I am looking to install a new Single unit with slide out display (maybe the new Pioneer Car Play unit) on top, and then a Kenwood two way amateur radio below. I am also keen to know how deep the outer plastic trim is compared to the standard puma dash?
I havent purchased the double din panel as yet. I assume the opening is about 180*100??
I know i will likely have to fabricate brackets in order for two single DIN units to work together...somehow!!

Thanks

Brian Thumbs Up 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #628413 2nd Jun 2017 12:04pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It's probably not impossible to do, but supporting the units adequately is probably your biggest issue. The weight of the double din unit is taken up by brackets that screw to the sides of the unit, but these would be in the wrong place for two single dins

Have you considered a Mud roof console with it's additional single din mount? They're cheaper than most double din fascias and less work to fit. Put your CB in the roof console and your pop out display in the dash.

Here are the dimensions for 'din' radio openings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736
Post #628445 2nd Jun 2017 1:05pm
Vitesse

many thanks for that. I have seen the Mud roof console before but i dont want to cut into the headlining at this stage....but it is an option! yes, possibly a bit OCD on that! I am trying to work the plan with the double din fascia idea. The mounting arrangement will have to be bespoke and if I have to modify the two units to suit then I will try. I am guessing this particular idea has not be done much as yet....but i will see if anyone else has any other info... Thank you.... Thumbs Up 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #628463 2nd Jun 2017 1:57pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I don't think the Mud console involves any cutting of the head lining, other than one extra trim clip in the middle, which the head lining would probably benefit from anyway.

I suppose it depends if you intent to keep the car or sell it at some point. If you intend to sell it then it would be much easier to remove the CB from the mud console than put the single din fascia back in.

I'll try and get chance to measure the hole in my double din, there is a good chance i'll keep forgetting mind you! Laughing
Post #628499 2nd Jun 2017 4:20pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Brian,

Have you considered this?

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/mud-stu...mount.html 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #628500 2nd Jun 2017 4:26pm
Vitesse

ZSD-Puma: Thanks..... yes, the mud roof console states that it might be necessary to cut the headling for certain radio fitments.. But its a good looking product... I am just OCD about cutting the Alcantra headling! Once cut, always cut... Big Cry Your offer to measure the surround on your dahboard would be very useful. dependant on these measurements may decide if the project is dead in the water or not...... Thumbs Up

Thansk Rosco....Yes, I have seen this and is also a good idea.. But its too far away to use properly while driving as I really need to see the screen for various functions on the 2 meter and 70cms bands.... But it would certainly techincally work and involve less fiddling! Thumbs Up 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #628504 2nd Jun 2017 4:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1