↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma won't start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lwb97

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Puma won't start
I have a friend who has as 2011 puma which won't start. The red immobilzer light is not on and the key fob won't work. I have tried to test the light with my nanocom but still won't come on. I have checked the fuses but can't seen any blown. The dash warning lights also dont come on when the ignition is on but fuel gauge does and there is plenty of life in he battery, any ideas?
Post #628096 31st May 2017 11:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Battery terminals tight?

Has the fob been synced by pressing it multiple times to are or disarm the alarm? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #628104 31st May 2017 11:15pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Loose, faulty, or poorly connected main relay under the driver's seat, perhaps.
Post #628136 1st Jun 2017 8:42am
Lwb97

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I've given the relays a wiggle but I'll try a new relay. The key fob isn't doing anything. I've tried to re sync the fobt but isn't doing anything. It's as if the immobiliser is doing nothing?
Post #628154 1st Jun 2017 11:29am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Do these trucks have a kill switch that activates in a crash? TD5s had one. If so has it tripped?

Merlin
Post #628402 2nd Jun 2017 11:39am
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
What happens when the key is put to II? Is it just the starter that does not turn? If it is just the fuel gauge that moves it could indicate bad instrument cluster.

Please post some more detailed information, as much as possible so at least we can get an idea of where to start looking. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #628841 4th Jun 2017 9:16am
newhue

Australia 
Not sure if mine is the same as yours, but mine randomly won't start.
The lights on the dash all look normal, glows as it should, but when you turn the key there is complete silence. I can sit stranded for up to an hour trying several combinations of no glow rapid starts, wait a little, wait a long, and generally just get tired of LR's Censored . But eventually it starts. Usually the fail is after the motor has run for 30 minutes and then shut down for 5, and then attempted to restart. Like filling up at a servo. It appears never to happen when cold.

Recently and of course out of warranty the dealer could not find a fault code or a solution to fix their own vehicle.
However in the end and with help of forums it seems to be a starter switch, LR 039638. I bought a second hand one and just replaced the switch. Typically they are a piece of crap LR spec part. This is my vehicles third one as the OE one did the described behaviour on day 2 of new ownership. It took LR 8 weeks and a whole heap of replacing everything they could to solve the issue. That was 6.5 years ago and the issue resurfaced 6 months ago. Odd how other cars never need half these parts. Anyway there are two very small screws hold it in place.

You need to pull the steering cowling off, and instrument cluster up and out of the way. The switch is at the end of the ignition -steering lock assembly. Make sure you know which wires go where on the switch before removal. Its a patient and fiddly excercise to undo the screws, or at least one of them anyway.
Alternatively you can replace the whole ignition steering lock assembly but cutting slots into the anti theft bolts. I presume new keys will be needed also so this seemed the harder of the two options. If you buy second hand get the screws that hold the switch in, you are more than likely going to loose one or two. I used blu-tac to hold the screws on the driver bit.

good luck...forget the force, may LR reliability be with you My Defender and travels
Post #630624 11th Jun 2017 9:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Check the connectors on the rear of the instrument panel and on the alarm module. If the engine ECU does not get a mobilise signal from the alarm module (via the instrument pack) then nothing will happen when you turn the key to the start position.
Your symptoms seem to suggest a problem with the alarm module and possibly the instrument pack or associated wiring. We're there any symptoms or was any work done on the vehicle prior to this failure to start?
Post #630673 12th Jun 2017 8:40am
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Er, I may be being a bit dim here but what about the battery in the fob? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #630676 12th Jun 2017 8:55am
pme

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
lwb97, did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?
Its always useful to hear what the fix was.
Thanks
Post #634079 28th Jun 2017 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1