↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback > Dealers trying to rip you off...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Dealers trying to rip you off...
One of our work double cabs (2.2 2015 14,000 miles) was recovered back to work a couple of weeks ago by the AA,
Symptoms were dropping in and out of limp mode, AA said it was egr valve? so blanked it on the roadside which did not cure the problem.

So it came in to the workshop, I remove the egr blank, and start investigating the problem,
Looking over it, I find it has no coolant in the expansion tank?
So more looking for leaks/stains I find traces of pink coolant all under the left hand side of the engine/egr/chassis.

I found that one badly placed factory fitted hose clip had rubbed a tiny pin prick hole into another hose, this was spraying out a rapid jet of coolant under pressure.
Why the AA did not spot that is beyond me? this sinario would have been activating limp mode, low coolant, high temp.

I then inspect the rest of the LR, as I do to all our work vehicles every 4 weeks, I decide to change oil/ filters etc remove wheels check brakes, pads etc....
All good, but at 14,000 miles there wasn't going to be a lot wrong?

As the Land Rover is still under warranty we decided that it should be done by them and not me, after all it was a mistake made at the factory,
So it goes off to the loacalish dealership.
Yesterday we had the call saying that hose was done, (5 days!!) and they "Think" it's ready for collection?
"Either it is or it is isn't" was the reply!

"Oh one more thing, it desperately needs new discs and pads all round, as they are badly worn,
Shall we get this booked in and treated as urgent"?

When telling the chap on reception that its just undergone a full inspection only a few days ago in the workshop on the ramp, and a basic oil and filter service and the brakes were found to be as good as new, I asked could he explain what exactly was the problem with them?

Lots of, Umms, er, will have to check with the the workshop manager on that,but he isn't here today, (convenient) we will get back to you!

How many people would take notice of that and get all the discs/pads changed just because the receptionist/salesman said so? I dread to think what LR would charge!!

I know this goes on all over the place, but I for one hate being fobbed off by smug dealership staff that think you know nothing about vehicles! And just want your long card number!

Shame on you Land Rover.... Shocked 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #627921 31st May 2017 9:56am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
I'm sure you're not the only one ,someone has to pay for those flashy showrooms Whistle
Post #627924 31st May 2017 10:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I wonder if you had naively said "go ahead" whether the work would actually have been done, of if it would merely have been billed.

Shocking.
Post #627928 31st May 2017 10:21am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Fraud..?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #627932 31st May 2017 10:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
It's not good is it?

Martin,

That's how I saw it, a fraudulent claim that was simply made to earn them money! Shocked 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #627936 31st May 2017 10:45am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Unfortunately it is all too common.
Post #627937 31st May 2017 10:53am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
They're not all like that thankfully. Our Land Rover concessionnaire here has always been very honest with us. Recently had the Defender serviced by them and they said one of the filters was fine and didn't need replacing this time. They also don't charge crazy prices for servicing. I suppose the best thing to do if a garage is blatently ripping you off is not use them again and make sure everyone knows about them. The power of social media is a wonderful thing sometimes.

Don't JLR send you a customer satisfaction questionnaire in the UK after a service? They do here.
Post #627941 31st May 2017 11:19am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I had the same problem with a Dealership in Manchester after it went in to have a small part fitted and was told that while fitting the part they noticed my brakes were shot; the thing was only the week before another dealership had replaced all the disks and pads during a service. When I told them this they said Oh! Must be a computer fault Oh Yeah! Never went back again bunch of crooks. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #627961 31st May 2017 12:18pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
That is terrible! The trouble is a lot of people would say just go ahead, but it is fraudulent! Would be great to walk in there and demand they show the fault in front of you & an independent witness and then shame them on social media! Then see how they like it! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #627969 31st May 2017 12:38pm
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
It's not just LR dealers.

The wife of a friend of mine took her car in for its 1st mot and the garage said it need 4 new tyres even though it had passed test. My friend picked the car up and no one could remember who had called her! The tyres had no cracks or damage and between 5 and 6mm of tread.

Sharp practice is what I call it. Cheers Don.
Post #628483 2nd Jun 2017 2:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1