Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Jate rings as rear recovery points on a 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
thor44

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Jate rings as rear recovery points on a 90
Hi guys,

there are several threads about this topic, but I wasn't able to find an adequate answer.
Is it possible to add jate rings as rear recovery points on a 90 TD4?
If so, how much of a hassle is it to install them (I've read something about removing the fuel tank and so on....)?

I'm in need of some strong recovery points and would like to remove the tow bar to improve the departure angle.

Any help or proposals for different recovery points on my 90 are greatly appreciated.

As for now I was planning to add these: http://www.paddockspares.com/pm786-jate-ri...nised.html on the front and the rear. I reckon for some light offroading, they should be sufficient, right?

Thanks in advance. . _____
.|_____\___
[|_/-\__/-\_|}
...(O)....(O)........ MY14 2.2 Defender 90 SW
Post #627532 29th May 2017 12:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Use the upper mid section Tow bar bolts and use a shackle on it on a mounting.

I've seen people on here with this set up.

Myself I use a ball and pin Tow bar, but does have a bit of a lower clearance but nevertheless been an issue with the Tow step for me as it's a bit higher anyway.

You may find something of use here:
https://www.devon4x4.com/off-road-store/re...s.html?p=2 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #627534 29th May 2017 12:34pm
thor44

Hi Steve,

thanks for the reply. Do you mean something like this: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/whosp/media/PIC00001.jpg.html ?

Is the rear crossmember strong enough to withstand some tougher recoveries? . _____
.|_____\___
[|_/-\__/-\_|}
Post #627535 29th May 2017 12:44pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I have heard it is hard to install on the later models due to the fuel tank so IMHO In your position it sounds like a rear receiver hitch would be the ticket 4X4 overlander 2" receiver hitch
Post #627537 29th May 2017 12:53pm
thor44

Thanks. But has anybody here ever mounted jate rings on the back of a newish Ninety? Is it really that much of a hassle?
I would really like to go for jate rings as they seem to be the cleanest (and most reliable?) solution in my case. I'm not afraid to spend a Saturday afternoon underneath my landy, if that's all it takes.

(And I don't want to break the bank as I'll be using the recovery points only once or twice a year Whistle ) . _____
.|_____\___
[|_/-\__/-\_|}
Post #627540 29th May 2017 1:28pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
I have Jate rings and a Nato hitch on my 110 - took about 15 minutes to fit. I don't think the fitting of either is any different on a 90 or 110.
If you had driven to tre Cime di Lavaredo last Sunday you could have seen it - just around the corner from you!
Post #627568 29th May 2017 4:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thor44 - Yes, that sort of thing or there is a swivel shackle type too I think.

Devonrover - I did think that, but I wasn't quite sure if they would still be too low clearance wise.
There does seem more sekectrion though.
The trouble with Jate rings imo is that they aren't a concentric pull, unless you use a strop between the two and adding more shackles which makes it imo that bit more dangerous.
They may be useful in tight spots though if at an angle or similar if used carefully. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #627571 29th May 2017 4:35pm
thor44

Thanks all for the replies.

@Thon: Oh no, seems like I waited too long to ask this question. Nevertheless, I hope you liked it here. Thumbs Up

@Steve: Do I need to reinforce the rear crossmember in any kind of way using something like this? I recall having seen some pictures of heavily bent crossmembers with such recovery points.

I just looked underneath my Ninety, and it does in fact look a little tight in there between the fuel tank and the fixing for the shipping-latches:

Click image to enlarge

Does anybody have the width of the jate rings where the bolt comes through including the required nut (and washer?). There is about 2cm of space between the chassis and the fuel tank for the right jate ring and a few mm less on the left. . _____
.|_____\___
[|_/-\__/-\_|}
Post #627601 29th May 2017 6:32pm
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Ok have seen a few 90s with jate rings, all of which the holes have elongated in the chassis, personally I would avoid like the plague. I have a NATO hitch and back plate, served me very well with numerous heavy recoveries 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #627608 29th May 2017 6:58pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Haha - yes we absolutely loved the tre Cime - an unforgettable experience. We're going back in July too and hope to make it further around the Peaks this time. We had to cut it short this time as it became extremely cold on the exposed side and our 8 month old was getting really cold.

On a TD4 you don't get the option to fit a backing plate for the nato hitch as the crossmember has captive nuts - it requires a spreader plate on the external face of the crossmember, ideally going far enough down to pick up on the angle bracket that bolts into the underside of the crossmember. All designed to adapt to the change in construction of the crossmember to accommodate the new plastic tank I believe.

I can't vouch for the efficacy of the jate rings having never used mine, but several 10s of thousands of military 90s were fitted with them. As for how to attach to them, I always carry 3 equal length straps and a tow rope, plus 5 load rated shackles. Most of the time would use the nato hitch and rope anyway.
Post #627618 29th May 2017 7:22pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've never understood the fascination with JATE rings for recovery purposes. Come the time you really need them, they're likely to be buried in the mud. They were never really intended for recovery purposes on military Land Rovers either (which all have perfectly serviceable NATO or pin hitches). Their purpose was to tie down the vehicles in transport planes or to sling them underneath helicopters.

If you want a robust and easy to use rear recovery point without a tow bar, then bolt a NATO hitch to the rear crossmember with the appropriate surface mount spreader plate. Or a swivel recovery eye, or two inch receiver. All will be better than JATE rings. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #627645 29th May 2017 8:46pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
JATE rings aren't suitable for rear recovery. the holes that they go through at the front are double plated to approx 5mm thick. The holes at the back are just chassis plate width so around 2mm. Whilst the JATE rings themselves will be OK the bearing force on the chassis is too high and it will either buckle the chassis or elongate the holes. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #627654 29th May 2017 9:25pm
thor44

Ok, I see where this is going. So jate rings at the front and the best would be a nato hitch and spreader plate on the rear.

Is this the correct nato hitch and spreader plate for the rear of a TD4?

http://www.paddockspares.com/plate-1.html
http://www.paddockspares.com/nrc2051-nato-tow-hitch.html

Thanks everybody again for the great support.

@Thon: From GB to the Alps twice in three months in a Defender....there must be nothing you fear. Very Happy Just an advice: In July there will be quite a few tourists up there. If you want to save some money, drive up to the "Drei Zinnen" as we call them from the northern side after 3 in the afternoon. The majority of people will then be on their way home, it won't be as warm plus if you stay long enough you will see one of the most stunning sunsets in the Dolomites. Just don't forget to bring a headlight then Very Happy . _____
.|_____\___
[|_/-\__/-\_|}
Post #627685 30th May 2017 6:08am
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
As others have said, jate rings are not for recovery, they are for lashing/tying vehicles down to pallets for airdrops or for lashing down on transporters or boats.
On the rear a nato hitch with the spreader plate is best and on the front these https://www.flatdoguk.com/d-ring-recovery-eye~320
Let me ask a question though, you say its for a bit of light offroading once or twice a year, how stuck do think you're going to get??? Rolling with laughter The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #627695 30th May 2017 7:54am
thor44

Well, in my area not much as there are mostly rocky and heavy gravel roads - not much to get stuck, only the occational recovery of someone stuck in a muddy field or so.... It's more about when I'm on vacation. This year I'll be going to Albania and next year possibly Marocco. So I guess there is a possibility for getting stuck quite a bit even if I would like to avoid that by any means.

A friend of mine recently told me that there are some kind of shackles you can insert through the jacking holes of the crossmember. Has anybody heard of those so far? I couldn't find much information about such kind of recovery points yet. . _____
.|_____\___
[|_/-\__/-\_|}
Post #627701 30th May 2017 8:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>