↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Sorting out new tyres...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Landie Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Sorting out new tyres...
Hi guys,

When the current oem general grabbers need replacing on the puma I am going to try and convince my dad to get some more off road inclined tyres. At the moment I am thinking a 50% on road and 50% off road tyre would be my best bet.

What would you guys recommend that would fit onto the boost alloy?

Thanks Jack
Post #57960 9th Feb 2011 11:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
BFG AT
Post #57965 9th Feb 2011 11:42am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Cooper ST or STT Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #57967 9th Feb 2011 11:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
diesel_jim wrote:
BFG AT

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #57968 9th Feb 2011 11:52am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
BFG MT
Post #57971 9th Feb 2011 12:10pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
blackwolf wrote:
BFG MT

I'll second that Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #57972 9th Feb 2011 12:13pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
party monkey wrote:
diesel_jim wrote:
BFG AT

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #57974 9th Feb 2011 12:17pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Lots of people like BFG, but there are equally capable tyres out there for less money, like cooper STT, Maxxis MT761, Enduro AT etc
Post #57975 9th Feb 2011 12:17pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Enduro AT is a good tyre if your on a budget. I fitted them 2 years ago because i was going to change my 90 but it needed new tyres. I ended up keeping it and ive done 30k on them since with no complaints at all, very capable tyre on and off road.

Pete
Post #57986 9th Feb 2011 12:43pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
The other thing re tyres is that lots aren't now available (brand new deliveries I mean) due to this clean oil legislation and the manufacturers having to switch plants or clean up current plants. Unless the tyre has the designation "LT" on it (or the other one which I cant remember right now), if you buy a set and then need a new one, you may find that you cant get one. Suppliers still have lots of the older non-clean oil made tyres and its fine for them to sell them, but you could end up in a position where they sell out of them then cant get more.
Post #57987 9th Feb 2011 12:46pm
Lorryman100

Landie boy, 235/85 x16 are the standard size of tyres fitted to boost alloys. You can go wider as in 265/75 x16 and they will still fit on the boosts as the boosts are 16x7. Going wider will mean getting 16x8 wheels for 285/75 x16 though some people fit these to boosts even though the tyre manufacturers recommend a width of 8 inches (16x8). As to tyres that is totally down to personal choice, I have 5x BFG MT 265/75x16 on mods, 5x GG TR 235x85 x16 on boosts and 5 x Mickey Thomson ATZ's 305x70x16 on Pro comp alloys. Later on this year I am going to swap the BFG's for Mickey thomson MTZ's as I cant fault the ATZ's I have on the Landy just now. Again this is personal choice and everyone has different tastes Thumbs Up
Post #57990 9th Feb 2011 12:56pm
The Boy

Zinke wrote:
Enduro AT is a good tyre if your on a budget. I fitted them 2 years ago because i was going to change my 90 but it needed new tyres. I ended up keeping it and ive done 30k on them since with no complaints at all, very capable tyre on and off road.

Pete

Pete what is the wear rate like and do they have good side wall protection (Trigaurd etc)?

Thanks mate

Boy
Post #57991 9th Feb 2011 12:58pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The Boy wrote:
Zinke wrote:

Pete

Pete what is the wear rate like and do they have good side wall protection (Trigaurd etc)?

Thanks mate

Boy

Its very good! 30k and there is still lots left on them, havent mesured them but think they started at 10mm and i would say still 6-7mm left. The side walls seem very strong, cant remember the the ply rating but they are a LT tyre so should be strong.

I do i wide range of work in my landy, from towing a trailer up to scottland to driving accross muddy fields to get to broken down tractors. I have also driven lots of stony lands and tracks and have no major cut or chips to the tread or side walls. In the snow they where very very good, was rescuing lorrys and cars in all the snow we had with no problems at all. Over all they will do everything i ask of them, there not mud terrains and i dont expect them to act like them but can go most places a MT will go.

Over all i think they are one of the most under rated tyres about, a lot of people are put off because they are cheap but mine are anything but. The only reason i got them is because i was going to sell the 90 and it had a brand new one as a spare so got 3 more to make a new set up and used the best grabber as my spare. My next set of tyres will be these tyres though for sure.

Pete.
Post #57998 9th Feb 2011 1:19pm
The Boy

Zinke wrote:
The Boy wrote:
Zinke wrote:

Pete

Thanks mate

Boy

Its very good! 30k and there is still lots left on them, havent mesured them but think they started at 10mm and i would say still 6-7mm left. The side walls seem very strong, cant remember the the ply rating but they are a LT tyre so should be strong.

I do i wide range of work in my landy, from towing a trailer up to scottland to driving accross muddy fields to get to broken down tractors. I have also driven lots of stony lands and tracks and have no major cut or chips to the tread or side walls. In the snow they where very very good, was rescuing lorrys and cars in all the snow we had with no problems at all. Over all they will do everything i ask of them, there not mud terrains and i dont expect them to act like them but can go most places a MT will go.

Over all i think they are one of the most under rated tyres about, a lot of people are put off because they are cheap but mine are anything but. The only reason i got them is because i was going to sell the 90 and it had a brand new one as a spare so got 3 more to make a new set up and used the best grabber as my spare. My next set of tyres will be these tyres though for sure.

Pete.

Thanks Pete

Very informative Thumbs Up Bow down
Post #58007 9th Feb 2011 1:58pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 
BFG AT Current:D4 HSE
Gone: BMW Z4MC
Gone: Defender TD5 90 CSW
Previous: Discovery TD5 ES (Gone)
Post #58018 9th Feb 2011 2:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top