↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Seadogdjh's TD5 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
seadogdjh

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Seadogdjh's TD5 110
Hi all, well since registering been quite quiet but as mentioned in the welcome thread i just picked her up last week.
Was a long shot, and i know a bit risky but had a really good feeling about her.
I work offshore, and one night shift got an ebay alert and knew it was the one. Been looking for one which was it soon would be in the need of a rebuild, or at least worthwhile of one.
Big mileage for age at 270k, replacement engine fitted about 120k ago, chassis needed patching, in particular rear crossmember.
As it was based in Cambridge and I knew I was due to travel home to Northumberland from Norwich a couple of weeks later, I contacted the seeker and asked if willing to keep it till then for me if paid the buy it now price without question. At 4.5k it seemed worth a shot. Speaking to the seller gave me confidence so it was agreed.
Picked it up from Cambridge and drove the 260 miles home grinning like a Cheshire cat all the way home without any issue.
The next morning i had a hip op, so still recovering and itching to get out in her. The crutches haven't stopped me doing a couple of little things last two days as below, but here's the first photo of her at her new house

Click image to enlarge
Post #627077 26th May 2017 6:29pm
seadogdjh

First job, mostly due to the hip op i mentioned but also make it little easier for the missus, wanted to try making the clutch a bit lighter using the clutch return spring upgrade before having to resort to any more expensive methods... Like the red booster had seen advertised. Took less than hour (balanced on one leg with daughter acting as gopher) only due to following the thorough and very helpful guidance on threads on here.
Only had to remove the top metal trim to get the old spring off.

Click image to enlarge

Also removed the old spring retainer bracket and refitted the bolt

Click image to enlarge

Had already checked the fitting of the of the plastic parts to make sure not too tight, before fitting them to the pedal and bodywork without an issue using a pair a pliers as required.

Click image to enlarge

Then pressed and wedged the pedal with wood, and used cable ties to computes the spring, got more compression than shown in the photo.

Click image to enlarge

Fitted the spring to pedal first then got the end of the springs into the holes with a bit of help from screw driver to lever and pair of pliers again.
Refitted the matting and metal trim after a few pushes of pedal to try it felt better by hand but will only really be able to comment once driven again. Shall let you know.

Click image to enlarge
Post #627090 26th May 2017 7:02pm
seadogdjh

So along with the clutch spring I ordered a new steering wheel and matching boss. The old wheel quite tatty and wanted to use my disklok which didn't fit the old wheel.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Old wheel came off ok with gentle persuasion.
Went to fit the new boss with the indicator cancel pins fitted

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was at this point realised something not right.
When ordered online had already been in contact with the supplier on the phone to confirm was correct boss (48 spline) with regards to chassis number which is an xa. After phoning them to double check was correct for 48 spline, went to count the splines..... 36! Any body else had a similar problem? Office closed but shall be in touch first thing on morning to get the other one sent out and then update on here
Post #627099 26th May 2017 7:40pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Nice Thumbs Up So what do you have planned for it once you are off the crutches and mobile again? 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #627100 26th May 2017 7:46pm
seadogdjh

Well since it has just under a years mot it would be a waste if didn't use it for this year, which will allow a to do list to be built up once have driven it on few journeys and came to realise it's woes. Once decided on a start date shall be stripped down and rebuilt on galvanised chassis and bulkhead. Shall lose the rear windows in exchange for panels, and eventually make an overland machine out of her Wink
Post #627102 26th May 2017 7:55pm
seadogdjh

Oh that's not to say i shall not be making a few upgrades in the mean time which can easily be transferred to the finished project, seats out, cubby box in, and installing a mud console which never got fitted to my old 90.... Shall also be looking at whether can make her good for the lanes to get out with my old laning pal g-mack, under body protection and extended breathers at least, haven't even made it under her yet to see the full extent, so will have a good job list once the crutches are gone Very Happy
Post #627103 26th May 2017 8:01pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
You will have a big list Wink
Is it your first 110? I've only had 2 90's and a 88" in the distant past. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #627114 26th May 2017 8:41pm
seadogdjh

Yep first 110 had a 200tdi (from a disco) 90 rough and ready laning machine, and a d2 before that

The "green goblin" as it was known Very Happy
Post #627125 26th May 2017 9:17pm
seadogdjh

As per the steering column thread in the td5 section, finally got a wheel fitted, ended up with a lovely momo, but the boss is another story Confused

Click image to enlarge
Post #629910 8th Jun 2017 12:27pm
seadogdjh

Ok so a few jobs finally completed after coming off the crutches.
Mud console installed, first tome round was with old cb which protruded too far out interfering with gear changes so got a new slimline one which fits much better. Just fitted blanks to the carling switch mounts for now, future plans fit additional lights etc will soon fill them up Wink
New Sony head unit with Bluetooth hands free and dab (just for planet rock). The internal windscreen aerial works great, and fitted some new speakers.

Click image to enlarge

Also mounted a cb aerial side mount at the rear

Click image to enlarge

Matching techno cubby box fitted, moved the diagnostic plug into the battery box and sealed from water ingress.

Click image to enlarge

Rear bench seats out and damp carpet removed. Just got to fill the associated holes once decided what luggage retention going to fit and where.

Click image to enlarge

Few things that came out to go up for sale now to clear some space, including the front centre seat, rear benches, the old cb with a matching din mount, and the centre dash panel for cig lighter etc in case anyone interested
Post #636301 7th Jul 2017 10:16pm
seadogdjh

Oh.... Any tips for removing that carpet tape much appreciated Wink
Post #636302 7th Jul 2017 10:19pm
seadogdjh

Oh aye another job crept up to, surprise surprise a leaking sunroof. Thought one of the front fresh air vent flaps was also going to need fettling but it turned out to be myself closing it too far and deforming the seals....
The sunroof came off and cleaned up the main seal and glass although I knew the culprit was the front hinge seals. However from former d2 ownership know how beneficial a clean and dose of silicone grease is Wink

Click image to enlarge

All fittings cleaned up and all refitted with tiger seal, not a drop since, despite the "summer" weather of recent up here.

Click image to enlarge

Also got some more photos taken during the other above jobs
Firstly getting the mud console masked and marked up for cutting using a dremel

Click image to enlarge

All the dash off for running dab aerial, cb aerial and microphone cables

Click image to enlarge

Soldering up new stereo harness after a test in chocblock

Click image to enlarge

Found this whilst had some of the trim off, is this a normal quality control making found by others?

Click image to enlarge

The hairy part.... Chopping into the dash with a jigsaw

Click image to enlarge

As mentioned above was a bit tight with the old cb, tried cutting away a bit more dash but was still too tight fitting

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When i said protecting against water ingress, meant just the diagnostic connection.... It's temporary Wink

Click image to enlarge

Cubby box fitted with bolts as main securing and wood screws to prevent flapping about at the front, lick of paint to the panel and tiger seal around fixings, got an offset screwdriver set for resecuring in the cab which worked fine Wink

Click image to enlarge
Post #636330 8th Jul 2017 1:24am
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Wow.. you have been busy.. looking good Thumbs Up
Sorry can't help you with the carpet tape.. I had carpet glue on my seat box and I tried wd40, panal wipe, white spirit all to no avail... 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #636333 8th Jul 2017 2:06am

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
This product is superb for removing carpet tape and any other stubborn adhesives that I have come across. It even takes old wheel weight glue off with no effort whatsoever! It's brilliant stuff.

It's available in Halfords online and places like Amazon.
Post #636381 8th Jul 2017 10:55am
seadogdjh

That's great thank you very much 1978.... Guessing we're the same age... Ish Wink shall get some ordered Very Happy
Post #636386 8th Jul 2017 12:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>