↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > SDS drill advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
SDS drill advice needed
Was looking to get an SDS drill for some up coming work. Just wanted to make life a little easier and use something that would allow me to drill into masonry with a little less effort than using my hammer drill.
I was looking at these two
Bosch GBH 2000 2kg SDS Plus Drill 240V which is 620W or this
Bosch GBH 2-24 D 2kg SDS Plus Hammer Drill 240V which is 790W.
Mainly to be used for drilling holes into blockwork and concrete.
Little difference in the price between the two drills and both available from Screwfix.
Any advice? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #626344 23rd May 2017 3:37pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
The Dewalt s are good Thumbs Up
Post #626345 23rd May 2017 3:39pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I bought a JCB one about 10 years ago, still going strong and cost then about £50. Not something I use all the time so saw little point in tying up loads of money in it! 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #626350 23rd May 2017 4:13pm
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Do you have any Makita 18V stuff? This is a bare unit only no battery or charger.
I bought this and find it easier on the arms over long periods. Also has a chisel function.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GII...&psc=1
Post #626352 23rd May 2017 4:16pm
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
For heavy drilling work you can't beat corded.

I've had the JCB, it's a beast and will break most anything, the downside is that is doesn't have a clutch and all that power with no clutch means sprained wrists and falling off ladders (yes, really), substituted with the DeWalt, a lighter weight machine but it just works, sds plus and drills through the toughest masonry like cheese. The downside, the chucks are crap, mine has seized up, you can't pull the collar back anymore, I've enquired about having it fixed and was told "yeah, all the dewalts do that" The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #626362 23rd May 2017 5:19pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
JCB.....................Man's Drill Rolling with laughter 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #626366 23rd May 2017 5:24pm
Rallymental

Just a thought,
Don't care too much for screwfix, had a falling out with them over another sds drill I bought, the clutch didn't cut it when core drilling but luckily this time I wasn't up a ladder! Anyway, when I took it back and complained, in store as well as to head office, they told me it was my fault, I was using it incorrectly. Apparently I shouldn't have been using it with the drill bit I was using. Shocked they weren't quite sure what to say when I pointed out that it was the drill bit supplied with the drill as a package!!! They still wouldn't accept liability but we came to an arrangement; they gave me a credit note and I didn't sue them, it sort of works Whistle

Try toolstation, you get free coffee in there too!

I've just bought a new toy though, a Stanley Fat Max brushless cordless 14v drill, its blooming magic, really light and very powerful. Apparently Stanley and DeWalt are the same company but the Stanley is cheaper (for the same thing). The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Post #626371 23rd May 2017 5:30pm
Rallymental

Re: SDS drill advice needed
spudfan wrote:
Was looking to get an SDS drill for some up coming work. Just wanted to make life a little easier and use something that would allow me to drill into masonry with a little less effort than using my hammer drill.
I was looking at these two
Bosch GBH 2000 2kg SDS Plus Drill 240V which is 620W or this
Bosch GBH 2-24 D 2kg SDS Plus Hammer Drill 240V which is 790W.
Mainly to be used for drilling holes into blockwork and concrete.
Little difference in the price between the two drills and both available from Screwfix.
Any advice?

What you need to check Spud is the torque, have a think about what you're likely to be drilling and have a look at the maximum sized drill bits you can use for each material. As Swine&small says are you likely to use it much? If not then get the biggest/cheapest you can, probably around £50 - £60 but I would recommend trying to get a clutch version as it will quite literally rip your arms off if it grabs!! Although in fairness this is more common when core drilling. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Post #626372 23rd May 2017 5:39pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My preferred make for cordless at the moment is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel range, which outperforms many corded tools.

Worth remembering that Screwfix is part of the same group as B&Q, not renowned for quality, customer service etc.
Post #626375 23rd May 2017 5:48pm
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
If its for infrequent use and not masses of holes try the erbauer or titan's from screwfix. Take some killing (i used mine as a mini breaker to remove a concrete step and it didn't die).

For work I use an 18v Dewalt and newly purchased Flexvolt (54v) for the larger holes. It is quite literally like passing a near molten knife through near liquid butter with a 18mm bit and virtually no vibration coming back at your arms.

As an aside the bits you put in it are possibly more important than the unit itself. The extra spent on Bosch or DeWalt bits is well worth it. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #626379 23rd May 2017 6:04pm
spudfan

Ireland 
It is just to be used for those DIY tasks that pop up now and then. I am not looking for something that could have been used to take down the Berlin Wall, just something that will allow me to drill holes for screws and bolts etc.
The chuck on my existing hammer drill gave up the ghost. Because the retaining "fins" stuck I was unable to remove the retaining screw to change the chuck. A local place told they could cut the chuck and remove it so I left it in.
This is my second failed chuck. The first was a keyless one that came fitted to the drill. The second was a keyed one. I prefer the keyed version and that's what I hope to get for the drill once the damaged one is cut off.
I don't want too much oomph in the SDS drill in case I do more damage than DIY!
Interesting thoughts on Screwfix.
I was going with them as they offer free delivery on their .IE site and the prices are good.
I was inclined to the 620W Bosch GBH 2000 2kg SDS Plus Drill 240V as it seemed good enough for the drilling end of things.
http://www.ie.screwfix.com/bosch-2kg-sds-p...-240v.html
Homebase have their own brand OZITO and have two SDS drills
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/oz...00u-389312
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/oz...00u-389304
Both come with a three year warranty but they do look a little on the large/heavy side of things for working on a step ladder. They are priced vey well. May not be as good as the top name machines but would probably suffice. Might go in and see how heavy they are,
Anyway thanks for all of the input. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #626415 23rd May 2017 8:03pm
Chugga90

That drill should be fine for your planned use. Bosch drills like that take no end of abuse.
I know a tiler who uses that type for chopping up floors, then mixing the levelling, adhesive etc and it just keeps going. Which is a miracle.
If your happy with this offering go for it.
Post #626421 23rd May 2017 8:21pm
spudfan

Ireland 
"Chugga90
That drill should be fine for your planned use. Bosch drills like that take no end of abuse.
I know a tiler who uses that type for chopping up floors, then mixing the levelling, adhesive etc and it just keeps going. Which is a miracle.
If your happy with this offering go for it."

Thank you, it is always good to get specific feedback.
Pity this forum wasn't around in the antideluvean days when I was sizing up the future Mrs to be...eventually 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #626427 23rd May 2017 8:32pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
+1 for the Screwfix Ebauer.

Please don't go cordless. I would only recommend cordless if a) Electricity was a problem or b) you use power tools regularly.

Since I came off the tools, battery drills are the bain of my life. Half charged or out of charge when I need to do a job and I have found infrequent use has killed the longevity of the battery.

No getting around it, they are a lot less hassle than corded drills.

If you want to splash cash, Bosch are my SDS drill of choice but the Ebauer stuff is a pretty good for the price.
Post #626471 23rd May 2017 10:23pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Post #626604 24th May 2017 4:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>