↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Power loss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Philthemill

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Barolo Black
Power loss
I hope someone on here can help I've spent hundreds of pounds with both local mechanics and main dealers and still the problem persists. I have an 08 Puma diesel 2.4 engined Defender 90
The problem is that the engin keeps loosing power , typically it will happen as I'm going up hill as I change down gear and the revs drop below 2000 all power is lost as if the engine is going into safe mode. The engine dies down to tick over but keeps running. After a few seconds the engine regains its power and the revs build as normal and I can drive off. If I double de clutch and keep the revs above 2000 when changing down I can stop the problem happening. Nothing shows on the main dealers computer. They recommended replacing the fuel pick up and fuel filter. This has not fixed the problem just depleted my bank balance. I'm a pensioner so I can't keep throwing money at this.
Has anyone else had this problem and got it sorted. Any ideas? Thanks Phil Big Cry
Post #626091 22nd May 2017 5:28pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Phil,

Sorry to hear about your trouble.
Did you ever see any variation in the temperature? Looks like the typical temperature management system that cuts the revs when the temperature going up to ~120°C. Sometimes the problem is not seen in the temp gauge.

If you can connect your car to an ODBII check if the temperature is going up over 110°C when the problem appears. Using the search in this forum will gives you some informations about how you can manage the problem (in mine still appears under hot conditions in slopes at high speed).

Regards from Chile Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #626105 22nd May 2017 6:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1