↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > First defender trip Scotland and wales plus camping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Hollywood

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Ahhh Iv followed a few of your posts. you think I will be ok to find a camping spot every evening driving that route?
Post #627655 29th May 2017 10:28pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Harry.O wrote:
I'd definitely recommend the North Coast 500, we did it in the 110 last week with my Dad and brother chasing along on motorbikes, the scenery was great!

If you have a couple of days extra Isle of Skye and Mull are worth exploring

Also did the NC500 about the same time Smile , but with something a tad quicker than the 110 ! inc trips on to Skye

Had the sunshine most of the way round, not a midge in sight, Inc the loop west after Unapool for some tight twisty bits California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #627664 29th May 2017 11:49pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
OK so I've booked most of our campsites..

Glen Nevis near fort William

Then Ferry to Skye and staying near Edibane (top end of Skye) then drive back via Kyle of Lockalsh

Heading to Glentrium, Newtonmore and then probably onto Edinburgh.

Staying in a variety of accommodation... our tent, Pods, old type Gypsy caravan

Look like some great roads, any recommendations Very Happy
Post #627855 30th May 2017 9:30pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
I'm going to be up there in a couple of weeks. I can post pictures. We are staying in a hotel at the Kyle of Lochalsh but are planning a couple of days on Skye. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #627959 31st May 2017 1:13pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Great stuff,

Any place you fine particularly brill let me know. Thumbs Up
Post #628509 2nd Jun 2017 4:52pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
The site at Glentruim is lovely- I used it when I set up the offroading trip up there last year.

The road down the side of Loch Laggan is lovely- and at the Newtonmore end of the Loch, Highland All Terrain are based- probably the best 4x4 tours in the UK.

Chris
Post #628675 3rd Jun 2017 2:18pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
One thing nobody's mentioned - take a good ice scraper to remove all the insects from your windscreen each evening! Idea
Post #628692 3rd Jun 2017 4:33pm
Ramsay

Much of trip competed so a bit of an update.

Mine started as I was part of a team taking part in the Cateran Yomp at Blairgowrie.

Click image to enlarge

After much effort and rain and wind we rite retired just after the Silver checkpoint with 41 miles completed.

Many thanks to all the volunteer support people. Including the Defender owners from Lothian 4x4 response the sight of whom cheered me up on my way round.

A night back in Edinburgh to recover and then reorganise the kit and we were ready for the off

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So starting from the Queen's Drive at the base of Arthur's Seat we headed north. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #631569 15th Jun 2017 1:16pm
Ramsay

So out of the city. Over the Forth Road bridge. The new one looks pretty finished. Up M90 to Perth. Then A9. Much of this now has average speed cameras on so in Defender you are easily keeping up with traffic.
Turned off at Dalwhinnie. Distillery tours available for the non drivers in zero tolerance Scotland. Great road the A86 past Loch Laggan. Watch out for Arnold Clark hire cars with tourists doing maximum of 40 mph. The fastest thing you might find on the road is forestry lorries. Be well tucked in. Even most of the motor cyclists were pottering along.
We turned north onto A82 at Spean Bridge. Drop in at the Commando memorial if you have not been up this way before.
We we held up for two minutes at the swing bridge over the Caledonian canal to let a yacht through. Then on to the A87 and headed for the Kyle. More delightful driving roads.
There is 24hr fuel at the end of Loch Cluanie. However the Coop station at Broadford on Skye is much cheaper.
First comes Dornie. With the castle Eilean Donan. Where you can explain how a Scotsman pretending to be a Spaniard helped a Frenchman pretending to be a Scotsman defeat an American pretending to be a Tartar.

Click image to enlarge

Then on and up and over the bridge to Skye. Brilliant engineering if a bit less romantic. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #631578 15th Jun 2017 1:54pm
Ramsay

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Spectacular threatening mountains of the Cullins. Campsite at Sligachan looks good. Much waving at Defenders on the roads of Skye.
Back to Mallaig from Armadale

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

No queue and quick loading. Looked busier the other way. Another great drive to Glen Finnan. Jacobite memorial and 21 arch railway viaduct.

Click image to enlarge

Headed south and only hold of the trip so far. 4 minutes where the road is being redone by the new Aldi in Fort William. Through Oban and Lochgliphead. Now enjoying Kintyre. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #631714 15th Jun 2017 10:30pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Looking good Smile

Did you pre book the ferry to Skye as I may need to do this if so for Summer Smile

Some great looking roads

Looking forward to our trip Thumbs Up
Post #631719 15th Jun 2017 10:37pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Ramsay wrote:
So out of the city. Over the Forth Road bridge. The new one looks pretty finished. Up M90 to Perth. Then A9. Much of this now has average speed cameras on so in Defender you are easily keeping up with traffic.
Turned off at Dalwhinnie. Distillery tours available for the non drivers in zero tolerance Scotland. Great road the A86 past Loch Laggan. Watch out for Arnold Clark hire cars with tourists doing maximum of 40 mph. The fastest thing you might find on the road is forestry lorries. Be well tucked in. Even most of the motor cyclists were pottering along.
We turned north onto A82 at Spean Bridge. Drop in at the Commando memorial if you have not been up this way before.
We we held up for two minutes at the swing bridge over the Caledonian canal to let a yacht through. Then on to the A87 and headed for the Kyle. More delightful driving roads.
There is 24hr fuel at the end of Loch Cluanie. However the Coop station at Broadford on Skye is much cheaper.
First comes Dornie. With the castle Eilean Donan. Where you can explain how a Scotsman pretending to be a Spaniard helped a Frenchman pretending to be a Scotsman defeat an American pretending to be a Tartar.

Click image to enlarge

Then on and up and over the bridge to Skye. Brilliant engineering if a bit less romantic.

Hello from Aussie. I have taken that exact photo, so must have stood in the same spot as you, to take it,...many years ago. We were told that Eilean Donan was the most photographed Castle in Scotland.
Loved Scotland, Pickles.
Post #631732 15th Jun 2017 11:22pm
Ramsay

Stacey007 wrote:
^ Looking good Smile

Did you pre book the ferry to Skye as I may need to do this if so for Summer Smile

Some great looking roads

Looking forward to our trip Thumbs Up

Hi Stacey,

The return ferry from Mallaig looked busier. I would advise booking on one. It is really easy through the Cal Mac website. If you happen to arrive early they will fit you on an earlier ferry if there is room.
I have found the TomTom GPS is allowing too much time for the journeys. It assumes you only do 40 mph on the roads and it is safely possible to do more.

You do need a scraper for the dead things on the windscreen. Loads of them every day! 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #631774 16th Jun 2017 8:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12