↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Maf interchangeability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Naf

Kuwait 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Nato Green No Canopy
Maf interchangeability
I am lookin for information on our MAFs, i know GM Mafs pretty well, and i can swap an old yr for a newer one no issues.

On the Defenders, i dont know the hz tables vs g/s and i do not know if a Puma maf card will work on our TD5 with ecu calibrations. Lets forget for a second the puma uses five wires and the td5 three.

Ultimately i am lookin to enlargen the intake tubes to the turbo, so there are no restrictions there. After which the MAF will be recalibrated for the new larger dia and run better.

Case a point, i have a 2010 Tahoe, it comes stock with a 5.3ltr engine. The maf is a card type and it is funneled through a 87mm hole. I swapped this 87mm hole for a 102mm and i gained 20hp and 2mph more top end speed with no loss to bottom end power.

I would like to do the same on the TD5 setup where i increase the tubing from stock to 100mm and let the air flow.
Post #624614 16th May 2017 2:33pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I know some made a bypass around the MAF sensor on 180hp plus tuned td5's. I belief that the current MAF will go out off range and so giving strange readings to the ecu so the ecu will go in limp mode.

Next to this I don't belief that it would make a big difference going for a bigger MAF. The bigger ID will help you most on high rpm. Your turbo is regulated by the wastegate and will deliver max pressure anyway at high rpm anyway.

I took all the restriction upto the airfilter out and installed a home made snorkel, this probably compensated for each other as I can not see any difference (with before) in the ambient pressure drop at full rpm.

If your Tahoe is a petrol engine I can understand it makes a difference but I think the gain on a turbo diesel will be vey small. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #624767 17th May 2017 7:15am
Naf

Does anyone have the MAF tables of HZ vs kg/h for the td5 MAF?

I found one for the Puma, but not for the TD5. If i find its similar in range it will help me in the long run as i would be able to tune for the newer style MAF and install a larger ID tube so i do not get out of range when i push its limits.

I am waiting for my tuning device to arrive from ALIVE, so i may look into the parameters to see how i may work it nicely.

My first thought was to create a twincharged setup, where at idle i am running 4psi of boost, then once the turbo starts to kick in, swap the air supply from the sc to the turbo and let it breathe till redline. But then ppl suggested i just keep the SC constantly on for a pressurized inlet to a turbo would yield larger returns...

My problem there is my SC is a 60cfm/rev and though it would keep up with a 2.5ltr it would need to either have a smaller pulley or larger crank pulley...
Post #624814 17th May 2017 11:58am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
I was speaking with Jose at TD5inside about this the other day. My genuine VDO MAF was causing issues on my TD5 110 at the top end, so just unplugged it issue gone. He was saying you can get a sort of tuning box for the MAF which allows you to calibrate it to work with the higher boost but during their rolling road tests all they found was mas torque came in about 90rpm sooner. So not really worth it on an already mapped engine!
Post #626306 23rd May 2017 1:08pm
Naf

I have the diagram for the TD5, and i see they separated the IAT1 and IAT2 from the MAf. The Maf gets a car voltage, and sends back a 0-5v reference, the IAT2 then relays to the ECU the final temp so it may calculate the proper fuel mixture.

My question is on the 2008 and newer Pumas, is the Maf input still vehicle voltage and return 0-5? If so i may be able to remove the first IAT and install the MAF so i may have a lil more accurate Maf reading and ultimately less restrictive MAF.
Post #635092 2nd Jul 2017 2:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1