↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Let me see your garage/workshop.. help me decide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mean Green

Scotland 
Let me see your garage/workshop.. help me decide
After moving house last year time has come to build my new garage/workshop. I can go to 30sqm without any planning issues and this is the size I built at my last house and was ideal for my needs.

Problem is I can decide whether to go for brick (concrete 6 inch block) like my last one, or log cabin style/cedar clad timber garage.

From a practical view, I can pretty much do the timber one myself - I am happy workign with wood - concrete slab, timber frame and timber cladding.

If I go for brick I would need stronger foundations and a bricklayer to build it etc (never laid blockwork).

So what are the downsides to a timber garage/workshop something along these lines...

or

Post #623095 10th May 2017 11:27am
ChrisWoods

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Aintree Green
Cedar clad will costa fortune compare to block and render. You going to insulate it? If you dont you could find condensation and damp an issue. 2009 2.4TDCi XS Utility Wagon.
Post #623098 10th May 2017 11:54am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The obvious one is the need for maintenance to the exterior. A brick built structure is, by and large, maintenance free but a timber one will need painting or treating periodically. How often will depend on the quality of what you buy initially and the exposure to a certain extent. With some treatments, they can essentially last forever but may need cosmetic tidying from time to time. At the other end of the scale though, you may be looking at completely repainting every three years.

A timber building is also marginally less secure. It's easier to cut through a timber wall than break through a brick one. Only you can decide if that's a significant risk, though.

In terms of practicality in use, I'd say that there's little in it if built to a decent standard. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #623099 10th May 2017 11:54am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I've also been looking at buildings / workshops / log stores for an area around 6m long and 5m wide.

My dad mentioned I could get a steel framed building and then clad it in what ever wood finish you like? could be another option?
Post #623102 10th May 2017 12:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I don't think that bricklaying is particularly difficult. Start on the wall you can't see from the house and by the time you get to the bits you can see you'll be a champion.
Post #623124 10th May 2017 12:54pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Personally I would build a block one and render it.

I have had timber 8 x 6m and currently a brick one.latter is much better and secure.

Would y o u have a block and brick house or log house in this country and for what reasons? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #623169 10th May 2017 4:45pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Why not just buy a readymade concrete garage with a good up and over door, they bolt together very easy so save some money and erect it yourself not hard if you have a mate to help .
I ordered an 8 x 18 feet extra height garage five years ago from Nucrete it cost me £1500.00 delivered, though the prices may have risen over the last few years.

Laid down a good concrete base and taking it easy with a couple of friends took two days to erect.
I also went for an apex roof which gave me a bit of extra strorage. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #623191 10th May 2017 6:33pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Mine was built from 6" concrete blocks, then boarded with celotex insulation. The celotex is attached using vertical battens at 600mm spacing which are then used to mount the timber weatherboard. The beauty of this is that you get the security of concrete plus insulation, and it doesn't matter how rough your bricklaying is because it will be hidden Smile

The other advantage of this construction is that it allowed the addition of a 2nd storey (timber frame) 10 years later.
Post #623260 10th May 2017 10:09pm
Intercept

Re: Let me see your garage/workshop.. help me decide
Mean Green wrote:
Let me see your garage/workshop.. help me decide

How it was originally built:

Click image to enlarge

then extended upwards 10 years later to create "her" space:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #623347 11th May 2017 9:54am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Inside pics please.

Looks Ace, I have a similar plot area. around 5m wide and 6m or more back.

That's a great man cave

Am I rough in thinking no planing is needed as long as less than 4m high?
Post #623351 11th May 2017 10:31am
Intercept

The planning requirement depends on your location and plot situation. If your "Permitted Development" rights haven't been removed (many new-build areas don't have PD) then a garage/workshop outbuilding would be as per Class E at the link below:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...idance.pdf

In my case the original building was permitted development but then required planning permission for the 2nd floor. The original shallow roof pitch is due to the combination of the 4m ridge height (due to PD restrictions) and the 2.5m door clearance needed for my 101 (see avatar). The new roof matches the local vernacular. Building Regulation approval was more problematic and expensive than planning permission.
Post #623356 11th May 2017 10:50am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
A brick/block garage will be more secure and stronger certainly, but more expensive and time consuming to build. I went with timber because that's what I know, plus the slab was there already so I could not spec it for brick/block etc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Being timber I was able to build it almost entirely by myself, only bit I got help with was hanging the windows. Took a bit of working out how to get the roof trusses up but I managed in the end.

Still not big enough mind...
Post #623382 11th May 2017 1:06pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I built some high quality timber stables, clad in cedar some 12 years ago. Everyone remarks how good they look but the downside is that I retreat them every two years to keep them looking good. The planners forced me down the timber route as they would not allow brick built units in the green belt. If I'd had the choice I would have gone for block and render, easier and less maintenance. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #623384 11th May 2017 1:33pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
But what is more secure?????

A timber building

Or a brick building with a wooden door?

Looking at what type of timber building you put up it's not your everyday garden shed! So is it really less secure?

Other think the think of is if you need planning permission or if you use timber is it classed as a temporary building? Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #623389 11th May 2017 1:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #623395 11th May 2017 2:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>