↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Irrational pull (Classic RR)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Irrational pull (Classic RR)
Morning All,

I'm drawn to a late petrol four door classic RR Vogue SE (not an LPG / replaced the air suspension / tarted up rot box). In my head it is a perfectly sensible daily driver - comfortable, quiet, space for kids and dogs when required. There seem to be a few decent ones around the £10-£11k mark, which is hard to reconcile with prices a few years ago but such is life. It would replace an 09 Golf which I got because I had to do a lot of miles a while back, and also my little 90, which hardly gets any use at all outside of the shooting season.

Does / has anyone lived with one as a daily driver? My father in law had a couple new in the late 80s and said they were awful!

Cheers
Post #623313 11th May 2017 6:53am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Sluggish, fat, wallowey, overpriced. Perfect!

I had a 5.7 Overfinch built RRC and it was fine as a daily. The sills were replaced whilst I had it and that put me off them.

But they're COOL ! A guy came to a shoot in one and in my eyes, outclassed all the newer Lode Lane Cheshire Chariots!

Buy it. (But keep the 90!)
Post #623315 11th May 2017 7:00am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I've owned a couple of 2 door Classics over the years and they were great.
I have had the same thought in recent months Thumbs Up

Get rid of my 90 and get a nice soft dash example, there are still good ones to be found, although it would have to be running an LPG conversion Shocked

they are lovely old motors, it would have to be V8, not the 300tdi 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #623318 11th May 2017 7:11am
psimpson7

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
I've still got a 1994 registered hard dash 3.9 manual Vogue SE which has only done from memory about 80k miles from new. Totally unmolested with the air suspension still. I bought it in I think from memory 2005 or 2006

Its sat in my parents workshops for when I ever come back to the UK

I love it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2001 90 HT 6.0LS/6spdAuto.
2003 90 td5 soft top.
2014 90 XS SW 2.2.
Post #623321 11th May 2017 7:32am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Very nice indeed, you're a lucky man!
Post #623324 11th May 2017 7:46am
ian series 1

Nice!

I know a lot of people will be thinking why not just buy a disco 1 or 2?
But there is just something about the Range Rover classic,

I have a Disco 1 that was my daily drive for 8 years, but much preferred the RR. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #623336 11th May 2017 8:57am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I rebuilt a 1971 RR 20 odd years ago and then used it as my daily for 10 years, thy are lovely things the RR Classic and funnily enough I have been looking around to see what's on the market. It wasn't helped by chatting to a couple of 4 door Classic owners at Gaydon last weekend, both lovely vehicles and one owned from new. I'm actually torn between a 2 door and a 4 door. The 2 doors have cleaner lines IMO but the more I look at the 4 doors I quite like them and they are more practical and generally much cheaper then the equivalent 2 door version. It wouldn't be a daily for me just a weekend car but they are great to drive and very comfortable.
Post #623349 11th May 2017 10:08am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
After an unfortunate combination of beer, ebay and boredom I bought a 2 door a few of years ago, non runner, lots of rust etc. Having soberred up I picked it up, poked around it and promptly sold it. I should have left it in the field appreciating.

I liked driving the P38 I had a few years back, apart from pulling out at a busy junction for which the 2.5 BMW lump needed notice in writing. If I get a classic it will need to be petrol, I'm only doing 50 miles a week so mpg isn't a drama.

There is one for sale close to me which I'm going to have a look at: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Restored-Range-R...Sww9xZBLh2

I fear it may fall into the tarted up category, but worth a look. It has been relisted, failing to sell first time around at that price.
Post #623352 11th May 2017 10:41am
Bug

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I had a '94 3.9 Vogue 4 door as my 1st RR. It had a VERY basic LPG conversion but it worked OK, and a tiny petrol tank which presented a few logistical issues when touring the Scottish Highlands! A lovely daily drive if you can afford 15mpg, and lovely exhaust note. I had lots of minor electronic issues relating to electric seats, door mirrors etc. Just be careful what you buy, there are some sheds out there - and they all suffer from rust just like same period Discos.
Post #623364 11th May 2017 11:37am
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
I had a '94 CVC reg 300 tdi soft dash on air, loved it, couldn't watch as the new owner drove it away.. I replaced boot floor and overhauled the air system, not hard/expensive , they ride lovely and they are ' cool'...! Got a 4.2 Lse in the process of being overhauled, beware that it's fairly widely recognised that the later models rot the worst. Inner wings, headlight bowls, scuttle as well as the usual...
thing with the tdi was that although it wasn't bad on fuel, it didn't sound right...
I'd look for a 89/90 v8 in grey, has to be leather, really nice one wouldn't top £10 k yet, great investment...

Pictures when bought please!!.. 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #623403 11th May 2017 2:40pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
ive been thru similar thoughts and was after a v8 4 door to repalce a string of weekend v8 disco 1's

tried a few and bought a couple for spares or to restore.sold them all bar 1 tatty 3.9 auto that needs a gearbox overhaul and heater refitting to the dash.

and the 3.5 manual 4 dr with cloth interior that is almost ready for the road after some serious restoration work under the skin inc removing the old gas kit new fuel lines,brake pipes and the usual welding and a big long listy of other parts.
body wise m going to keep it the original patina for now before a respray in the future maybe.

here are a few during the rebuild

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #623460 11th May 2017 7:10pm
ian series 1

Brings back many memories!

I did a full body off restoration in 1995/1996 on a 1974 2 door that I rescued from a breakers yard, the plan was simple, turn it in to a later vogue/CSK lookalike!
Looking back now I can't believe how much welding I did on the shell and chassis Shocked

And all those now hard to find expensive 2 door parts were simply thrown in the skip at work!!
I spent my time finding accident damaged Range Rovers with the right parts, roof with electric sunroof, alloys, etc,
I brought a brand new complete vogue cloth interior from Nationwide trim! (Not sure if they are around now?) think it was around a grand back then, Bet you couldn't buy one for that money now?
Full respray inside and out in Ardines green, it did look the business.

It was fitted with a York straight 6 diesel, and overdrive bit like a high speed tractor! But was a Censored to start on cold mornings.
It was soon made redundant and made way for the good old 3.5 V8.
I did a full photo record,and kept every receipt for it,
I spent around 5k doing it.

I used it daily for a couple of years.
And sold it for £2k Neutral

Looking back now it should have been a keeper Rolling Eyes

Maybe towards the end of the year I will try to find another... Whistle 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #623477 11th May 2017 8:07pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
After 10 years of running my 71 which I rebuilt completely I traded it for a Volvo Embarassed . A couple of years ago at the NEC we saw it at the NEC for sale in the auction, it was in a dreadful state but still made over £5K. I spoke to the new owner and mentioned I had rebuilt it over 20 years ago and had a lot of pictures if he wanted them, we swapped e-mails but he obviously wasn't interested. I should have bought it myself and rebuilt it again Rolling Eyes
Post #623563 12th May 2017 8:43am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Complete lack of technical skill aside, I don't think I could rebuild something I'd rebuilt before - unless I'd done a cracking job first time around and wasn't going to be reminded of cut corners!

I'm going to look at the RR on Wednesday. Today I'm being dragged up to Edinburgh to watch Stade Francais vs. Glos, and tomorrow I've got to watch Saracens vs Clermont. To make matters worse I bet I'll be forced to drink beer and generally enjoy myself whilst not spending the weekend running the kids to hockey / cricket / tiddlywinks or strimming / mowing / hedge cutting etc... Rolling with laughter
Post #623575 12th May 2017 9:55am
jonesfrm

England 
All the best watching Gloucester!! I'm sure it will be a good game!!! Thumbs Up
Post #623716 12th May 2017 8:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>