↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wiring issues on my 1989 Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JamesF

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Baltic Blue
Wiring issues on my 1989 Defender
When I brought my 1989 defender the previous owner had fitted an extra fan some spots and a radio. The radio promptly stopped working and when I took it out the wiring to it and from the switches running the other stuff looked a mess. Bits of tape everywhere and dodgy looking connectors. so I need to get the radio wired up and the spots working again. So I am wondering is this something I should tackle myself or let a proffesional look at it?. I am pretty useless with anything electrical but like to have a go if I can.
If I do decide to go down the prof route does anyone know of anyone who does such stuff in Herts or Beds?

Any advice welcome Smile
Post #622405 7th May 2017 3:39pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Older defenders are notorious for having nests of dodgy wires, sounds like yours is no exception! Sometimes if you can identify a non-standard clump of wires separate from factory looms, it is easier to carefully take the whole lot out and start again.

Otherwise, work through the mess with a digital multimeter, finding out what wire does what (ie: ign live, permanent live etc) and then try to match that up with whatever the radio/spot lights require (might be letters/a diagram on the radio), replacing dodgy connectors as you go.

Plenty of reference photos before you start is always a good idea too. Good luck! Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #622418 7th May 2017 4:55pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
If you know what you are doing then a wiring upgrade is fine, if you do not then I would not recommend it. Make a mistake and it can be costly, you would not believe how quickly electrical wiring fires can start.

My recommendation is obviously disconnect the battery before replacing any wiring and make sure every wire you replace is fused by the correct rating.

If you work methodically and have the right crimping tool and crimp connectors and know how to use a soldering iron then replacing wiring is quite easy. Often just tracing the wires and putting new connectors on is all that is needed as early Land Rovers used those horrible bullet connectors that work loose or corrode.

If you have a fuse panel that has the glass fuse types it may be worth replacing that with the newer blade fuse type, or get a good electrical contact cleaning spray and give the glass fuse holders a good clean.

Google is your friend for wiring diagrams for a Land Rover that will show the colour codes of the wiring and what they feed. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #622442 7th May 2017 6:13pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Have a go yourself, be much more satisfying when it does work. Vehicle wiring isn't all that difficult, slodering at this scale is also pretty easy (even a slob could do it Whistle).

All you really need, particularly on that age of vehicle is a multimeter and some patience. Both are cheap Wink

At least you don't have to worry about things like how well the solder joint is formed (down to the um level) because it's the difference between the system working and not working. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #622499 7th May 2017 8:37pm
JamesF

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Baltic Blue
Just an update and a thanks to those who offered advice.

Got someone in to sort out most of the woes. All seems fine now except one more gremlin.
So thanks again
Post #625999 22nd May 2017 11:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1