Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #622200 6th May 2017 9:05pm
Slideywindows

England 
The way some people criticise the Daily Mail you'd think they were forced to buy it.

Like the TV Licence..... Whistle
Post #622223 6th May 2017 9:52pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Riverboy wrote:
Rolling Eyes

The French police "target" people who break the law no matter what the nationality. They are as strict with French nationals as they are with foreigners. Unfortunately many Brits seem to think the law doesn't apply to them over here Rolling Eyes

I dont agree - i fly myself into France from time to time (fastest way in and out) and every time, from friends who live there and give us lifts and taxis, everyone says the exact opposite and the standard of french driving (french cars we have been in) it seems too great a correlation that foreign cars, especially British cars get undue attention - in fact, i think there was an article on it years ago...ive been in french taxis, they are on mobiles, always speeding, rarely paying attention and never get stopped by the police.

One thing some brits we know that live in france say, if your car is french and you live there and speak french you do ok...

Anyway easiest thing is to avoid france Thumbs Up in all of Europe it has to be the most unfriendly place going...not a lot for it. We spent 2 weeks in Germany, i think last October and on the German bank holiday drove across to france - across Germany everyone was nice, friendly and helpful...France, 2 minutes first place we stopped rude arrogant and borderline racist Mike
Post #622343 7th May 2017 10:21am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Well I've lived here for thirteen years and I can honestly say I do not recognise the France you describe. The times I've overheard British holidaymakers here in the summer being rude and expecting the locals to understand them because they are shouting loudly in English, well.... I'm not surprised if they dont get a friendly response. Rolling Eyes Same goes for those who live here and don't attempt to integrate or those with second homes who keep an English registered and insured car here for years and leave it parked at one of the airports for months on end when they go back to the UK. Make the effort and respect the laws and customs and they are amongst the friendliest and most welcoming in Europe.

I'm not sure how they could be racist to a British person unless you are of another ethnic descent?.
Post #622348 7th May 2017 10:39am
mse

i can just about speak french (not very well any more granted as we have gone from 3 times a year down to hardly ever) - which it makes more funny when you know what they are saying!

We travel all over Europe and try to speak the language - even some of the more obscure languages like Swedish etc like i say of all the countries recently, in the last 12 months (Germany, Sweden, Holland, Austria, Italy, Denmark, Luxembourg) only france has been like this. Although post brexit, we did notice that Germany seemed a little off in the 2 cities we visited (and had been many times before)

Its easy to be racist - the french certainly believe that they are superior.

I certainly believe that the UK isn't superior Mike
Post #622359 7th May 2017 11:00am
Riverboy

I'm sure the French would agree Rolling with laughter

Joking aside. I think you need to live in a country for a few years before making sweeping statements about an entire population. There are good and bad, nice and nasty, polite and rude, rascist and non rascist in every society and every country around the world. Yes the French can be frustrating, they can be very rude and arrogant and some drive like idiots, but the same can be said for every nationality. In reality, having lived here I think the French generally (probably excluding Parisians Rolling Eyes ) are better drivers than the British, now there's something to get yer knickers in a twist about, sacré bleu ! Rolling with laughter
Post #622365 7th May 2017 11:24am
mse

Many things are better than the british - i wouldnt say french driving is - but Germany and the Nordic countries yes. Im the first to say Britain isnt that great...but years of France in me and i cant say France is better im afraid. Mike
Post #622529 7th May 2017 9:51pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
The French are going to have to go a long way to redeem themselves for burning waggons full of live British sheep back in the day. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #622586 8th May 2017 7:47am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
[quote="mse"]
Riverboy wrote:

Anyway easiest thing is to avoid france Thumbs Up in all of Europe it has to be the most unfriendly place going...not a lot for it. We spent 2 weeks in Germany, i think last October and on the German bank holiday drove across to france - across Germany everyone was nice, friendly and helpful...France, 2 minutes first place we stopped rude arrogant and borderline racist

If you'd been in Germany first, were you driving a car with German plates? Worst experience on European roads I had was in Holland in a German car. Had always been fine in local hire cars!
Post #622588 8th May 2017 8:08am
Riverboy

I've been pulled over twice at police roadside checks over the years, the first time was in our old Rover 45 which was still on UK plates at the time. It was dark so they couldn't see the plates but as soon after I pulled in, I heard a giggling and a female officer telling her male colleague that he was an idiot for pulling a British car over. I was quickly waved on with a beaming smile. The second time was after the car had its French plates and this time I was asked for my papers although the officer went to the passenger side first Laughing before realising no one was there. I'd forgotten to take my ID that day for some reason so was nicely reprimanded and reminded that I should know the law. Anyway he was very nice about it and sent me off with a smile and wished me a nice day in perfect English. They can appear quite stern I know but if you are polite to them and smile they can actually be charming.
Post #622599 8th May 2017 9:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12