↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Heading to Austria - top tips needed!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mactheknife

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 2.5 TD CSW Baltic Blue
Heading to Austria - top tips needed!
Hi all,
We are heading to Austria for a weeks holiday (Maria Alm area). Intending to take the TD5 and cross the channel on the Eurostar.
I've driven to Germany before, but over 15 years ago.
Any advice on getting there and good places to explore gratefully received.
Post #622043 6th May 2017 12:23am
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I'd take the eurotunnel if I were you, if you take the Eurostar you won't be able to take the car! Laughing

I've never driven to Austria but plenty elsewhere, if you stop in an 'aire' towards the west be careful of thieves, kids mainly and they're not subtle, I was standing by my car when one came up next to me and had a good look through the window!!
Further east and you'll be ok. Don't forget that from now on (May 2017) if you get flashed on a French speed camera you will get the fine come through your door at home. If you take the Belgium route option keep your wits about you as the Belgian drivers are a bit special.
Sorry, don't mean to be doom and gloom. Enjoy your holiday!! Very Happy The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #622047 6th May 2017 12:57am
hafman

United Kingdom 
I'd probably avoid the French motorways and route via Belgium and Germany to save on tolls. Don't forget that Austrian motorways require a vignette (can be purchased at service areas in Germany). Can't help with what to see in the area other than Berchtesgaden is quite interesting (if you are interested in WW2), and there is a fab open air spa at Bad Reichenhall.

I'm going to a Steyr Puch Haflinger Treffen in nearby Bad Ischl in June - it is a wonderful area. Austria is seriously underrated as a destination.
Post #622056 6th May 2017 6:49am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The Grossglockner High Alpine Road is spectacular and well worth a visit.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/index Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #622058 6th May 2017 6:59am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Zell Am See is a nice place to visit and so is the salt mines at Salzburg Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #622065 6th May 2017 7:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mactheknife

[quote="Rallymental"]I'd take the eurotunnel if I were you, if you take the Eurostar you won't be able to take the car! Laughing

Rolling with laughter
Thanks Rallymental that brightened my morning. Yes the Eurotunnel is a much better idea!
Post #622097 6th May 2017 10:49am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Quote:
I'd probably avoid the French motorways and route via Belgium and Germany to save on tolls.

Thats what we do, we avoid France for all of Europe - southern Europe in particular Mike
Post #622100 6th May 2017 10:52am
mactheknife

hafman wrote:
I'd probably avoid the French motorways and route via Belgium and Germany to save on tolls. Don't forget that Austrian motorways require a vignette (can be purchased at service areas in Germany). Can't help with what to see in the area other than Berchtesgaden is quite interesting (if you are interested in WW2), and there is a fab open air spa at Bad Reichenhall.

I'm going to a Steyr Puch Haflinger Treffen in nearby Bad Ischl in June - it is a wonderful area. Austria is seriously underrated as a destination.

Thanks hafman,
Just looked up the vignette.
I found a Michelin website this morning that estimated tolls through France to be around Ģ50 each way. The Belgium route takes the same time so I'll take that one as you suggest.
Post #622101 6th May 2017 10:53am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
To be blunt, unless the Ģ50 is going to make a difference in what you can do once you get to Austria, it is money well spent. I've done the trip you're doing many, many times over the past decade and although it looks the same on maps, the French motorways are superior and due to the toll, less crowded.

The section through Germany is particularly bad because they've been improving a large section of the motorway toward Munich (and other sections) for the past 6+ years and it just jams up with traffic as a result (3 lanes down to two, or worse one and then compounded with accidents).

In terms of places to go once you're there - pretty much all of the Tyrol region is worth exploring - truly beautiful scenery.

As LRA mentioned, Grossglockner is a nice (paid) section of road to drive but does get busy as the weather improves (slow coaches, campers, etc)

On the border is: http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/ - well worth a visit.

If you head into the Tyrol, this is a great place for either a day trip or to overnight: https://www.gramaialm.at/en

A nice drive to it, super scenery once there and the food is typically Austrian (Tirolean) and better still, the beer!

Lastly, the vignette is no big deal - once into Austria, stop at the first petrol station and pick one up. They are readily available and I always avoid the places just before the bordered because they are rammed with people and busy.
Post #622104 6th May 2017 11:30am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
As an aside, I grabbed one of these a few years back - https://www.saneftolling.co.uk

It means you can drive through the 30kmp lane at the toll stations and not worry about paying at each one. Makes the French motorways even easier Wink
Post #622107 6th May 2017 11:41am
mactheknife

Thanks AM94 ,
Useful to know about the autobahn roadworks. I'm looking at the liber-t passes now.

Schloss neuschwanstein is on the to do list. As is the grossglockner thanks to this thread.
Post #622201 6th May 2017 9:08pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Fantastic Country to visit!

Main piece of advice.......regarding hot drinks!

Its near impossible to get a proper cup of tea in Austria- if you (like me) get through several brews a day you'll need to take your own bags.

Chris
Post #622218 6th May 2017 9:44pm
mactheknife

Thanks Chris,
Very helpful, my wife loves tea!
Post #622241 6th May 2017 10:18pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Same here in France. Nats P. Crying or Very sad I have to import my Tea from London.
Post #622250 6th May 2017 10:29pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
I second AM94īs view on taking the French autoroutes, and consider it well worth getting a remote pay pager to speed up the drive through the toll booths. The money spent on tolls is almost recouped with less fuel, brake pads and tyre wear. I have driven almost every route over the years, Germany, past Cologne, Belgium, and even Luxembourg. I now use the French route every time, as it is so much more effective.

Drive down to Reims, across to Metz, then past Strasbourg. Cross the lower part of the Black Forest, for some amazing roads and views, and then drive along the north coast of Lake Constance, taking in the town of Lindau before crossing into Austria at Bregenz.
Then the mountains start, and there are any number of great roads and passes worth investigating.

Stephen 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #622266 6th May 2017 11:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>