↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 3 LSDs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisWoods

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Aintree Green
3 LSDs
Does anyone on the forum have three LSDs installed, ie. Front rear and centre. I'm considering this setup instead of air lockers. Would be pretty much the same as quattro/4motion.
Traction control would also help it out if you got a wheel hanging. 2009 2.4TDCi XS Utility Wagon.
Post #621752 4th May 2017 8:26pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Why do you want a center LSD? 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #621757 4th May 2017 8:32pm
ChrisWoods

The centre diff in an LT230 box has a weak differential. Locked it can actually make you break traction by forcing both axles to go the same speed. But a 60/40 split let's the wheels track with no slip. 2009 2.4TDCi XS Utility Wagon.
Post #621763 4th May 2017 8:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, a few folk do and it is a very effective set-up.

I would sooner have three ATB diffs and no TC than TC and no ATB diffs.
Post #621780 4th May 2017 9:51pm
ChrisWoods

I would too. I think the traction control is a bit aggressive, shock loading all the small gears in the diff. I'm hoping it should hardly kick in once the diff's are done.
Wait for someone with this setup to speak up. 2009 2.4TDCi XS Utility Wagon.
Post #621825 5th May 2017 6:10am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hope to have centre and rear fitted within a few weeks from now.

Will be happy to let you know I get on.

I believe hope the centre not only being stronger also helps reduce overall slack in the transmission.

Here's to hoping to having a nice transmission (new gearbox, transferbox and rear diff) Very Happy

Just need to get started on sorting all the rust out Crying or Very sad

Lastest version of Oxford dictionary has 'Defender' in there defined as 'on going engineering project' (?).
Post #621826 5th May 2017 6:17am
blackwolf

What do you want to know?

I don't have TC on my Defender (thank goodness, one less thing to go wrong!) but find that the ATB set-up works extremely well. Left foot braking will sort you out in the event that you have a wheel with negligible traction (TC will do this for you if you have it).

I have had my 110 stalled at tickover on a steep grassy slope with all four four wheels rotating at exactly the same speed, which is quite impressive with unlocked diffs and a good demonstration of ATBs at work.
Post #621839 5th May 2017 7:57am
ChrisWoods

Sounds good! Did you find the atbs got rid of any slop in the driveline? They still tight as they were when I fitted them? 2009 2.4TDCi XS Utility Wagon.
Post #621845 5th May 2017 8:13am
blackwolf

When I fitted the ATBs I also fitted HD halfshafts, drive flanges, and CV joints, and there was an immediate and very significant reduction in driveline slop. It is, of course, not really possible to say which of the old components were "sloppy". The rear diff seemed OK, the front diff had disintegrated and was scrap, and I replaced the transfer box due to the whining noise from the old one. I suspect that the biggest single source of slop generally is the halfshaft/drvieflange interface, and it has to be said that now, probably some 100,000 miles after fitting this lot, the slop is back, although perhaps not surprising after this mileage.

Actually it is also worth noting that the Ashcroft shafts and flanges have lasted as long now as the last three sets of genuine LR shafts and flanges did. At some stage this year I will need to replace the clutch (it's getting rattley again - it's been in for about 60k miles now so not surprising) and I will probably "refresh" the driveline at the same time. It is quite likely that a significant amount of the current slop is coming from the clutch drive plate itself.

I have found that the slop issue is seldom one single worn part, rather the result of an agglomeration of wear throughout the driveline.

It is highly likely that when I next need to replace the rear axle halfshafts and flanges I will try a set of the one-piece shafts fitted as OE to the last Defenders.

I have no particular concerns about the diffs themselves, and they certainly seem to be lasting better than the originals.
Post #621864 5th May 2017 9:20am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Might be of interest if you haven't seen, last pages mention central lsd. http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic13545.html James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #621918 5th May 2017 2:07pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Might sound a bit stupid, but I was put off the idea of a central LSD as if for any reason a wheel bearing, drive shaft or flange fails you may well just keep going without knowing anything has broken! Potentially doing more damage along the way

You can get an HD cross pin that lowers the risk of breaking the CDL
Post #622656 8th May 2017 1:49pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
Be aware that if your central differential is LSD, your vehicle can not be brake tested on rollers with a LSD in the front or rear differential. This is an issue where i live. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt

Last edited by diduan on 8th May 2017 3:01pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #622678 8th May 2017 2:59pm
blackwolf

Why do you think that?

If a wheelbearing fails, you know when you shoot across or off the road, and there'll be no difference whtever kind of diff or diffs you have.

If a halfshaft or flange fails, you'll know because the diffs are torque-biasing not full lockers so you'll lose drive, just as you do with an open diff.

Fitting an ATB in the centre is, I agree, more a matter of preference than necessity, since used correctly (which so many are not) the standard centre diff is on the whole entirely adequate. It remains, however, an item prone to wear and a significant contributor to driveline backlash and poor drivability issues. Upgrading the crosspin assembly doesn't cure this, it still wears. The attraction, to me at any rate, of the ATB upgrade is that the diff itself appears to be a stronger and more durable unit, especially for a TDCi-engined vehicle which is known to be a bit of a transmission-eater.
Post #622679 8th May 2017 3:01pm
blackwolf

diduan wrote:
Be aware that if your central differential is LSD, your vehicle can not be brake tested on rollers with a LSD in the front or rear differential. This is an issue where i live.

I would not allow the tester to attempt to test any LT230-fitted vehicle of mine on rollers. Fortunately my local MOT test station doesn't anyway.
Post #622680 8th May 2017 3:02pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
blackwolf wrote:
Why do you think that?

If a wheelbearing fails, you know when you shoot across or off the road, and there'll be no difference whtever kind of diff or diffs you have.

If a halfshaft or flange fails, you'll know because the diffs are torque-biasing not full lockers so you'll lose drive, just as you do with an open diff.

Fitting an ATB in the centre is, I agree, more a matter of preference than necessity, since used correctly (which so many are not) the standard centre diff is on the whole entirely adequate. It remains, however, an item prone to wear and a significant contributor to driveline backlash and poor drivability issues. Upgrading the crosspin assembly doesn't cure this, it still wears. The attraction, to me at any rate, of the ATB upgrade is that the diff itself appears to be a stronger and more durable unit, especially for a TDCi-engined vehicle which is known to be a bit of a transmission-eater.

Smile Thanks for clearing that up, was just a quick thought. I had a drive shaft sheer and wheel bearing fail while doing 60 on the A2, nothing but a small pop then loss of drive and poor braking. Which made me think, if I had LSDs I would have though they would lock up to a degree and keep drive. I guess not!

I'll reconsider one after this haha
Post #622684 8th May 2017 3:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>