↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > What lead do I need please? Std LR radio to Alpine? also Mic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Stacey007 - Sorry I haven't noticed your post for such a while I have been very very busy and could have offered some assistance.

You need an Alpine specific lead to your H/U model with a male plug into the rear of th HU's female socket.

The other end terminated in a female ISO coccector which can be with one female soucket in a single moulding or two separate. (This doesn't matter.)

Your LR's standard loom is male ISO plugs, one is primary power.
The other is you speaker feeds etc.

If you search on here for 'DIN ISO PLUGS' you should find posts of mine from a while back identifying them.
Be sure to match power to power and speaker feeds to speakers feeds.

You shouldn't have trouble with this just by visually seeing the cable colours.

If you still have trouble getting such a lead as I have suggested.

Cut off the male plugs on the DIN ISO connector end. (Which is the side that is opposite to the HU rear plug.)
Purchase a Female DIN ISO socket on eBay with pins and re wire and crimp corresponding to a DIN ISO wiring diagram which can be commonly found on a google search.

Or ask someone to do it for you but you should be able to no problem.
Or send parts to me via post and I'll do it for you free gratis. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #626904 25th May 2017 10:19pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
You need an Alpine specific lead to your H/U model with a male plug into the rear of th HU's female socket.

The other end terminated in a female ISO coccector which can be with one female soucket in a single moulding or two separate. (This doesn't matter.)

I think he's already got that.

Quote:
I've checked the fuses and they all appear ok and as you say the original radio works..

Including the small one on the back of the new radio? You can see it under a cover next to the socket on the back of the head unit.
Post #626912 25th May 2017 11:06pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Hello yes the tiny one in the back of the radio all seem fine?
Post #626938 26th May 2017 8:25am
zsd-puma

It might be worth taking the radio and the lead you have along to the car audio place you got the lead from and get them to plug the head unit in and test it. They'll usually do it there and then for free. Often they'll just use one of the displays in the showroom.

Even Halfords will do it for you. That way you can elliminate the radio as the fault.
Post #626941 26th May 2017 8:50am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I have a genuine Alpine to ISO loom in front of me so if you send me the photos of the wires as I said yesterday I can compare the wiring to check it's the same as the one you've got. Thumbs Up

If you can't do photos just list the colours on the plugs in order Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #626958 26th May 2017 10:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

PS: check that when you're plugging the connectors in that the metal terminals aren't pushing out of the connectors, some of the ISO looms I have used in the past have done this and given issues.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #626959 26th May 2017 10:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

Me again!

Using these pics I can confirm the wiring of the adapter looms is absolutely fine.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Bear in mind something which may be different to your old radio.

These Alpines can only be switched on (square button) when the key is in position AUX or ignition on.

So try it with the ignition on if you haven't already.

If that fails, try resetting the head unit. With it all connected up, remove the face plate and press the small recessed reset microswitch (often red in colour) with a ballpoint pen.

Failing all that you need to plug the head unit in somewhere else (another car or supplier) to check it.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #626964 26th May 2017 11:14am
custom90

United Kingdom 
So what is the issue, physical connection now or powering up? The lead with the grey connector with red interior backing is for a post 2012 Defender. This won't fit the OP's ISO wiring so is no use at all. The other lead does indeed look correct with female DIN ISO connectors to plug the LR male connectors into. If there is power up issues the ignition and permanent live may need checking as well as the earth that they are all corresponding.

Not not all functions need to be connected unless in use. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectors_for_car_audio Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 26th May 2017 4:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #627001 26th May 2017 1:57pm
Bushpig

Wales 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
I think what Martin & Steve are trying to point out is the configuration of the power supply wires?
Screengrab from my Pioneer manual... (colours may not match)

#'s 15 & 16 Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #627030 26th May 2017 4:15pm
Martin
Site Admin

From the pics, the Defender wiring diagram and Alpine handbook I've traced the wiring on the adapter looms and it's all as it should be.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #627035 26th May 2017 4:32pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
It may not help here but yesterday I called into the local H**fords as S.H.M.B.O. wants a new thing that plays music ( In the old days it was a Radio) anyway the tech asks if he can see what leads are fitted before we or should I say she chooses one ,so radio comes out and he looks at me and says " you have a problem here, for any modern radio you will need a special lead" out comes the book of adapter leads and he looks through it " are this is the one you need, you have the BMW fittings , the adapter is 500.20" "WHAT" was my reply, he hands me the book and sure enough Land Rover Defender 110 2008 radio adapter BMW part 500.20p.

Needless to say I walked out with a nagging S.H.M.B.O. trailing behind. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #627061 26th May 2017 5:35pm
zsd-puma

They were correct in that some TD5 era Defenders use the BMW connector, Rover group basically raided the BMW parts bin for some of their in car entertainment. a 2008 model will have standard ISO connectors i would think. Or it will likely already have an adaptor harness you can unplug and remove.

However they don't cost anything like 500, i suspect the 500 was the price for a whole sale pack of 20 or something. If they were that price people would just cut the BMW connector off the loom and solder in standard ISO connectors.

It's not relevant to the OP, but if yours does indeed have a BMW connector then this is the lead you'll need;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-Series-E39...SwGeBXPxsU
Post #627078 26th May 2017 6:29pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Thanks all,

Martin, according to what I have pictured should the lead I bought work?

it plugs into the radio end and into my leads in the dash board. Is it likely I have an issue with something here not connected correctly? This lead

Is there an easy way I can check? I will admit not very good with a multimeter etc but will give it a go

Thanks
Post #627089 26th May 2017 7:02pm
zsd-puma

To be honest i would pop in to Halfords and ask them to plug it in and test it for you. if they're not busy i'm sure they will do it for free.
Post #627091 26th May 2017 7:03pm
Martin
Site Admin

Yes as above in my many many posts Embarassed I have traced the wiring from your adapters and they look fine.

Have you checked it with the ignition on and/or reset it?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #627095 26th May 2017 7:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>