↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fuel/money saving remap.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisWoods

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Aintree Green
Fuel/money saving remap.
Just worked out that if I do 10,000 miles a year, every mile per gallon extra I get will save me about 80 quid a year at today's diesel prices.

So if a remap saved me 2mpg then it will have paid for itself within 4 years and given better driveability and enjoyment.

Has anyone got any proper figures regarding fuel consumption after a BAS remap?

Even if it doesn't save any fuel I'm still going to do it just makes it easier to convince the Mrs. 2009 2.4TDCi XS Utility Wagon.
Post #620501 30th Apr 2017 10:49am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'd be interested to know how a remap can save fuel. It's something I hear a lot but I must be missing something. It takes a certain, fixed, amount of energy to propel a Defender down the road at a given speed. Unless you alter the aerodynamic or mechanical losses I can't see how that can be changed. A remap does neither, so is it something else like reducing over fuelling or something. Would like to understand this. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #620508 30th Apr 2017 11:11am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Fuelling efficiency is how it does it. However, that depends on how you use the extra power. There is also fuel additive which DOES work. I run a stage 1 Alive tune and Millers diesel additive permanently. It does work, improves combustion and efficiency and reduces emissions. All of this also give you an MPG gain. The fuel additive you can use if you have a map or not and it'll help keep egr and injectors clean etc. 👍🏻 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #620511 30th Apr 2017 11:31am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Leaving aside the additives, like Millers, what is fuelling efficiency and how is it controlled/improved by the re-map? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #620513 30th Apr 2017 11:36am
ChrisWoods

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Aintree Green
Well if you did 30mph in 1st gear for 10 miles you would use more fuel than you would if you did it in third. Not many things are 100% efficient and an engine can be very inefficient. Energy can be converted into sound and heat and also fuel can be efficiently burnt or inefficiently burnt. If a map allows you to stay in third without labouring the engine or needing to change back to 2nd then fuel can be saved. 2009 2.4TDCi XS Utility Wagon.
Post #620515 30th Apr 2017 11:43am
custom90

United Kingdom 
The injectors for example are controlled as are many other components such as the Turbo by the ECM. The fuel air mixture and fuel injection pressure are variable according to ambient temperature, air density, gear selected, engine rpm, speed in motion and many other variables. The increase in torque and bhp allows less revs required for the same speed and less fuel needed. It allows you to stay in gear in lower revs for example. There is much more to it also that is beyond my scope of knowledge that a tuner could answer. But yes, fuel additive and a tune does give a tangible increase in MPG and a better drive. A blanked EGR also helps with it, of which emmisons you you can reduce slightly with the fuel additive. If I go without the additive I know the drop in performance and MOG. The remap is something you get usd to permanently. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #620529 30th Apr 2017 1:15pm
JustFX

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Coniston Green
There are many gaps in the TD5 fuelling map as they have to map it on the idea that you could take it anywhere. For example, they will allow for it to work from the lowest road to the highest road (mountains), from cold arctic to the desert heat. There is also the emission regs to get through so there will be power dips at a few points to aid with achieving the required regulations.

Re-chipping/ Tuning the CDI can give you extra power and if you use it correctly you can gain extra MPG.

Some MPG can be gained by just simple maintenance tasks, clean intercooler and inlet manifolds are two options.

I wouldn't worry about the just enough fuel vs full tank as that is a waste of time. I have the calculations around here somewhere. 
Post #620545 30th Apr 2017 2:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The standard maps also take into account lower Cetane rating Diesel from some more remote countries. Here in the U.K. We have very high quality diesel compared to some areas so that is not an issue. I forgot to mention this in my above post. 😁 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #620547 30th Apr 2017 3:09pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I've no experience with Defender remaps as my Td5 came complete with a stage 2 and tends to return around 27mpg - is this typical? However a few years ago the wife had an Audi A2 with a 1.4 litre TDi (3 cylinder) engine. Despite the hype about these cars being super economical the standard 75bhp tune rarely returned more than 45mpg. However, after a remap which took it up to 96bhp it would always return more than 52mpg. This despite having waaay more torque and general perkiness.

Therefore I am quite willing to believe that a remapped Defender is cheaper (and nicer) to drive than one with a standard state of tune.
Post #620636 30th Apr 2017 10:03pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Remap improves fuel efficiency fact, but if it isn't don't tell SWMBO cos that was my excuse for getting it done! Rolling with laughter

Trouble is its so much nicer to drive now it encourages you to be more heavy footed, so not sure i'm seeing the saving Confused James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #620640 30th Apr 2017 10:10pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
^ this was my 'experience', at least in my head (I was changing lots of other components around the same time, adding roof tents, and mass in the form of roll cages, winch bumpers and so on)

My thoughts are that the map will let you get a bit more MPG and can therefore its cost can be justified in the long run (Chris Woods logic seems solid on the matter) - however, you will er, enjoy your vehicle more often, so it comes out as a bit of a wash... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #620650 30th Apr 2017 10:32pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It's a good way of counteracting the drag effect of wider tyres, roof racks and other heavy or extra air drag fuel consuming items. Wink
All of these things are a must when discussing with your OH. Or the Defender just won't be fit for purpose 😂 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #620652 30th Apr 2017 10:38pm
Retrostu

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I have a 55 plate TD5 with 55k on the clock had a stage 1 remap so basically its a half way house between economy and performance plus I have a straight through pipe and if I put in 35 of diesel with a mixture of town and 'A' roads I managed 200 miles I'm happy with that too. Thumbs Up It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

This is what I keep watching to remind me why I own/keep my Defender. https://youtu.be/x4DZgOcgn1s
Post #620678 1st May 2017 1:50am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I have the BAS 170 remap and have seen no change in mpg (either way) after 15,000 miles. 
Post #620768 1st May 2017 3:40pm
isacs

United Kingdom 
If you want better mpg change the transfer box ratios
Post #620770 1st May 2017 3:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>