↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Brake pad change.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Yes green stuff, slight delay on braking but then it's much better, especially with the caravan connected. Problem is the standard pistons are usually rusted and won't go back into the callipers without a fight. There is a thread about changing the pistons for stainless steel ones. I've done this and hopefully I won't have that problem again, why didn't LR do it?

Merlin
Post #620141 28th Apr 2017 12:29pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Ive used greenstuff in the mini. They seem very hit and miss with their quality control. Which they appear to acknowledge in the instruction sheet that comes with them. Using vague terms like "these may or may not reduce dust".

I had one set that were filthy, and made more dust than ordinary pads, but the current ones seem very much cleaner! It seems my current set are good ones, but in the past some sets have been no better than standard, some much better. As i said all very hit and miss.
Post #620233 28th Apr 2017 7:42pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Merlin wrote:
Problem is the standard pistons are usually rusted and won't go back into the callipers without a fight.

...potentially seizing the piston or damaging the wiper seal and popping the retainer letting all sorts in.

Yip, stainless are the solution Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #620246 28th Apr 2017 8:28pm
YOLO110

Australia 
FWIW, EBC 'Green Stuff' and their other 'Colours' stuff pads are not regarded at all well in the fast sports car market place.

Pagid and Mintex are well regarded however. If I was to ever go non OEM pads, I would choose either of these. Thumbs Up YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #620290 28th Apr 2017 11:28pm
AWOL

Agree with YOLO - I've recently had one set of EBCs (greens) in a fast road car and they were truly awful (bloody scary whilst bedding in too!).

Not very "bitey" and did not inspire confidence at all. Only good thing about them was very little brake dust.

Ferodo DS2500s would be where my money went for fast toys, but have had good experience with Mintex in classics in the past (lots of copper grease is the key to stopping them squeaking). Would almost certainly be the wrong compound (if they even make the pads to fit!) for a Defender but, if I was choosing essentially based on brand, I'd probably by Ferodo in their standard compound with Mintex as second choice.
Post #620687 1st May 2017 7:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12