↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Are my springs normal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Are my springs normal?
Have a look at the picture below please.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

This is my DCPU which has yellow yellow marked front springs and has covered 114k miles. It is shown as it would be loaded in normal use, I dont have a front winch.

Is the fact that the top 4 coils are effectively bound normal? Surely they are ineffective?

Ta

Nick

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #618400 21st Apr 2017 2:40pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi nick. Those are standard dual rated front springs. NRC8045 and 8044 155/225lb.

The dual rating is to make the ride more comfortable but over time the 155lb part weakens and the front end sags a bit.

The solution to this is a direct replacement or the heavier duty single rated NRC9448 and 9449 springs that are rated at 225lb so will raise the front end a little from what you have now.

I have just removed these from my 110 to fit a set of old man emu +2" they are super springs for a standard defender.

What do you have on the rear? Dual rated again??
Post #618519 21st Apr 2017 9:00pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
i put yellow yellow take offs on my tdi and they look a bit like that! it doesn't half crash into bumps!!

when it is off the jack the top 3 springs are touching

Click image to enlarge
 My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #618535 21st Apr 2017 9:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi g-mack. That crashing in to bumps is probably not the springs but the shocks over damping. Could also be over pumped tyres too. If you take the shock out you'll find the springs are really supple.

Nicks springs just look very tired to me.
Post #618541 21st Apr 2017 10:02pm
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Ive just bought some nearly new springs from a CSW so will be fitting them on the front and back along with new shockers. The rears are green green white and softer than the brown purple currently fitted. The fronts are yellow yellow which is why I asked the question because I wondered whether the closer wound top coils are the softer bit and therefore compress first?
The rears are currently brown purple and are hard! This is the cheapest first step to try to improve the ride. I believe some people have had success going this way.
Ta
Nick
Post #618571 22nd Apr 2017 12:24am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I just swapped out mine (110SW) because the drivers side front spring was the same as yours, but the offside not. The vehicle was on a noticeable lean to as well. More noticeable once I installed cage and winch.

Replaced with OME springs all round with a +1" - all flat again

The one that was more stacked up top came out shorter when compared to the other front spring, which is opposite to what you're meant to have (drivers side being longer*).

Considering this, I think you've either loaded up your vehicle too much (big steel winch bumper?), or they're sad - similar miles on mine, stands to reason either way...

(*pretty sure it's just longer? as opposed to a higher rate right?) Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #618602 22nd Apr 2017 9:40am
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
So are we saying that standard (good condition) yellow yellow front springs shouldnt be compressed at the top when sitting on its wheels with normal weight? I cant find a picture on tinternet of this.

Knowing where my car came from its definately not had extra weight on its nose but likely to have tired springs. Both sides are the same btw.

What I'm struggling to get my head around is the concept that the top few coils are the soft rated bits (155lbf someone mentions). Because surely they will get squashed flat by just the weight of the car sitting on them?

Ta

Nick
Post #618631 22nd Apr 2017 12:40pm
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Just noticed your picture shows this g-mack. Assuming your cars weight is on the springs they dont seem as compressed as mine and I think I can see slight gaps from the top 2 coils down?
Post #618636 22nd Apr 2017 12:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1