↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > RTT type - If money is not the primary consideration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cliffordjol

United Kingdom 
RTT type - If money is not the primary consideration
I know this has probably been done to death (sorry) which might be part of the reason why I keep switching my thinking on which type of RTT I should get for European plus trans Africa travel - and beyond. I will be making stops that range from a few hours or 1 night to 3 plus weeks over an extended period 1yr to 18 months and longer.

Q. If the primary consideration is not the cost, which style (not make) of RTT would you chose
1. Classic soft top fold out
2. Hard shell or
3. Flip up roof conversion with integral bed (Alu Cab ICARUS style) and why?

Vehicle is a 2004 110 Defender Station Wagon and I know the relative price differences in the styles and makes.

I am 6'4 and 18 stone

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post #617833 19th Apr 2017 4:58am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Welcome.

I'd opt for a James Baroud, hard shell... I think Devon4x4 now sell them.

Here's a review off ExPo

https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-guide-...top-tents/
Post #617842 19th Apr 2017 6:06am
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
I made a write up about our James Baroud last year:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post511268.html#511268

In a nutshell, from memory:
+ built very well and makes me feel safe even in the worst weather. A hardshell is undoubtedly the quickest setup as far as opening is concerned
- gas struts are too strong to easily close (Mrs Vogler doesn't manage to close the tent on her own) although this might be different on the newer models, and no possibility to add an extra awning to make a dry entry/exit in the rain.

Greetings,

Joris
Post #617845 19th Apr 2017 6:26am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
GREENI wrote:
Welcome.

I'd opt for a James Baroud, hard shell... I think Devon4x4 now sell them.

Here's a review off ExPo

https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-guide-...top-tents/

They do indeed sell them and rent them so you could try one out before buying Thumbs Up
Post #617849 19th Apr 2017 6:58am

England 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
I have been very happy with the Maggiolina and they do an XL version for some models, which I think is 8" longer and you would really appreciate it at 6'4".

Strength isn't an issue with these models, I've had my four kids and two adults up playing cards in ours and couldn't feel any flex.

Set up is seconds and breakdown is only slowed down by having to go around the clamshell making sure the material is pushed in.

One of the considerations for me is how easy the RTT is to dry after use when wet. if you have to put it away wet, then just spinning it up when it is clear to dry out is worth its weight in gold. I have had to do the same with a traditional RTT and it was a hassle.

Clam shell systems also have the benefit of not needing any additional floorspace, you can put them up literally anywhere.
Post #617862 19th Apr 2017 8:27am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Maggi Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #617891 19th Apr 2017 10:32am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Vogler wrote:
... and no possibility to add an extra awning to make a dry entry/exit in the rain.

I had made a special awning by a sailmaker for this purpose. I have a Columbus Hardshell. As said, very easy and quick to setup, just seconds.

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #617895 19th Apr 2017 11:12am
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
On a trip like yours I would prefer the pop up roof option, purely for the reason that should you need to get moving quickly for security and safety reasons, you could do so without getting out of the vehicle. Any roof tent means you are already outside which in my opinion, makes the whole outfit less secure. 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #617910 19th Apr 2017 12:34pm
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
We do a whole range (including the Alucab Icarus roof) so I can see the benefits of each style . I personally would go for an ultra heavy duty clam shell type (hinged 1 end) as those are a very strong design, very stable and super quick to setup. Also can be removed if ever needed (unlike a roof conversion) Smile

Thumbs Up
Post #618512 21st Apr 2017 7:40pm
Vogler

Thanks Vincent, that looks very nice! Would you mind sharing how the connection with the tent at the top is made? Did you add a rail or something?

Groeten,

Joris
Post #618647 22nd Apr 2017 12:39pm
cliffordjol

United Kingdom 
RTT - 1 down 2 to go.
Thanks to all who replied. The classic Soft top, fold out, style of rtt seems to have been eliminated from the choices, by popular opinion.

Once my final choice is made, I will post an update on what I get.

thanks again
clifford
Post #618904 23rd Apr 2017 4:54pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Vogler wrote:
Thanks Vincent, that looks very nice! Would you mind sharing how the connection with the tent at the top is made? Did you add a rail or something?

Groeten,

Joris

Hi Joris, the Columbus is already prepared for this - there is a Velcro strip around the top shell (for attaching the winter hood to). The awning attaches with Velcro above the entrance, and the velcro band continues to half way at the side panels for extra grip. I used carbon kite poles to hold the awning out.
I have more detailed pics if you want, give me a pm. Thumbs Up Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #618928 23rd Apr 2017 6:29pm
Vogler

The JB has a velcro strip for a winter liner too, albeit on the inside of the tent. So that's not that much use unfortunately.But I'd still would be happy to see some more details! I'll send you a pm right away!

Greetings,

Joris
Post #619331 25th Apr 2017 5:30am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: RTT type - If money is not the primary consideration
cliffordjol wrote:
I know this has probably been done to death (sorry) which might be part of the reason why I keep switching my thinking on which type of RTT I should get for European plus trans Africa travel - and beyond. I will be making stops that range from a few hours or 1 night to 3 plus weeks over an extended period 1yr to 18 months and longer.

Clifford, think very carefully where and how you intend to travel and use your vehicle now and in the future.

Soft top folding roof tents are in general terms the cheapest roof tent and probably have the largest internal volume.

They also take more time to set up and put away then the typical hard shell roof tents. Also they sit much higher then hard shell tents which can cause issues in heavily wooded areas.

Rooftop tents are great for short stays but for extended stays would a ground tent be better? Reason being a roof tent limits the availabi

We have managed to dent a Defender roof on tree branches before now.

Hard shell roof tents are more expensive then soft shells, lower on the roof, lower internal volume however much quicker up and down then soft top. However we have known customers to forget they are there until they hit a low concrete beam! OUCH!

Pop top roofs have been done by Safari Equip for a large number of years now Kevin at Mud went to Austria to get his pop top fitted and the internals were fitted out by SouthCoast vans. Poptop most expensive option however with a fully converted Defender pushes up the weight and the heavier the vehicle the more prone it will be to getting bogged down.

Now a roof tent is great for short stays whereas a ground tent may be more suitable for extended stays. A roof tent limits how you can use the vehicle on extended stays.

A fully converted Defender would limit the use/versatility of the vehicle when you are not travelling.

So our advice would be to consider very carefully how you will be travelling, the terrain you will be travelling through etc. See as many different vehicles as possible. On this front I would strongly recommend a visit to the `Bad Kissingen show in June as you will get the chance to see a much wider choices of roof tents, pop tops and conversions then easily seen in the UK.

Brendan
Post #619537 25th Apr 2017 9:08pm
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
Check out the South African BunduTec Aluminium Electric Hard Top roof tents - seriously comfortable, spacious and just 18 secs to open or close fully!

No climbing around on the vehicle, just press a button and all done!!! These are really clever!!!

www.bundutec.co.uk

And yes - we are biased Smile
Post #627419 28th May 2017 7:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>