↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Towing with a 90 TDCi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Towing with a 90 TDCi
Contemplating investing in a used caravan. No experience of towing with a Defender. I don't want to end up with an unsuitable/unstable combination so wondering whether there are recommended maximums for caravan weight and length?
Post #617301 16th Apr 2017 9:08pm
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Try this http://www.towcar.info/select_type.php The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #617325 16th Apr 2017 10:24pm
Rallymental

I'd say you could pretty much pull anything you like, however you have to consider whether you are allowed to tow what you want, in other words what's on your driving licence?
Most caravan problems are loading related The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Post #617327 16th Apr 2017 10:27pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
All Defenders will tow up to 3,500kgs on a standard braked trailer which will encompass most of the caravans you will be able to find. Good nose weight limit too, and a 90 having a very short rear overhang reduces the propensity for the tail to wag the dog, as it were.

Don't worry about the 85% 'Caravan Club' rule, that is more for estate cars and the like. A Defender is a proper tow vehicle and is designed for it, as such it will cope with pulling up to its rated limit and beyond. For a 90 this could be around twice it's unladen weight.

There has been some discussion in the past about the harsher suspension of a Defender damaging caravan chassis' over time, however I can't speak from experience regarding this. There are damping units available which claim to go some way to resolving this issue.
Post #617329 16th Apr 2017 10:33pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Many thanks for all the helpful contributions. I feel much better informed and confident. Cheers everyone. 👍
Post #617359 17th Apr 2017 8:03am
YOLO110

Australia 
I have towed my 1,200 kg braked camper trailer over 5,000 miles in my 90... don't even notice it is there really!

Of course you take the usual sensible towing precautions... drive more defensively etc etc, but it tows it beautifully.

Not an issue at all. Thumbs Up Cool YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #617391 17th Apr 2017 1:16pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I tow a twinaxle 8.2m and single axle 7.9m with my 90 no probs very stable and capable 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #617400 17th Apr 2017 2:06pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Before I towed with the defender people said to me "you won't even notice the trailer is on there" which I always thought a daft statement.

However now having towed with the defender a few times it really is like that. Ok steep hills and moving off from standstill you notice it but cruising down the motorway etc it's brilliant. Lucky my trailer has LeD marker lights or i'd be worried it wasn't there at night Very Happy

This is a ~1200kg trailer and load on a mapped 90 TDCI. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #617404 17th Apr 2017 2:23pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I have towed caravans for over thirty years with a Land Rover, from a Series 2 short wheels base to a 90 a Defender and a TDCi all of them 90’s.

All I can say is as a tow vehicle they are a dream, after all one of their design criteria was to be a towing vehicle.

The adage about a tail wagging the dog should never happen with a Defender, they take inclines towing a caravan in their stride, the only downside is they are so good at towing that sometimes you forget you have a caravan attached. Smile

Just make sure you have a good set of tow mirrors, my recommendation along with most others on this forum is to invest in a pair of Milenco Aero’s with extended arms, the latest ones have a much improved clamp that holds the mirror like a vice. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #617408 17th Apr 2017 2:29pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
All I can ad is that you may find that the caravan is wider than the 90.

I would find a local caravan towing course. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #617511 17th Apr 2017 8:09pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Depending on your age and when you passed your test, you may or may not have b+e entitlement on your license. Depending on this, and the weight of your 90/trailer, you may need to take another test to get the +e entitlement!
Post #617521 17th Apr 2017 8:26pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We tow a caravan with a 90 fitted with a Dixon Bates shocklink. We will only tow a caravan with a shock link as we have destroyed a caravan towing system when not using a shock link.

Brendan
Post #617524 17th Apr 2017 8:32pm
Rallymental

Brendan,
Do you think there is any chance it was coincidental?
A long time back we towed the same 'van for about 10 years with a Vauxhall Frontera with no ill effect The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Post #617526 17th Apr 2017 8:44pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
No, I do not think it is coincidental. Modern caravans are being made lighter and lighter.

Caravan had only done about 5,000 road miles and had been serviced 3 months beforehand.

We know a caravan mechanic/engineer and he says the same thing about 4x4s.

He also complains about caravans and their tyres. Plenty of tread on them but either a flat spot or aged related cracking. How many times have you heard of an A road/motorway being blocked by a caravan overturned or with a blown out tyre?

He services our trailers and was surprised when he recommended tyres to be replaced due to age related cracking and I said change them. Apparently normal response is that there is plenty of tread left!
Post #617551 17th Apr 2017 9:52pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Our first caravan was effectively destroyed - the sides and front panel parted company with the wooden floor. That caravan was second hand and we towed it with a J**p Grand Cherokee for a couple of years until I saw the Light.

We had that van for seven years and I noticed interior fixings near the front coming loose but didn't notice the real damage until we traded it in - the dealer noticed and demonstrated just how much damage there was. That was quite a surprise... We lost over £2000 on the trade-in because of the damage.

Before we picked up our second van I bought a Shocklink direct from Dixon Bate - effectively a £400 insurance policy.

Our second caravan lasted seven years of fairly extensive use with no damage whatsoever, despite the 110 having fairly stiff springs (no anti-roll bar due to a larger main fuel tank). When we traded that van in last year I checked it over extensively for damage or loose fixings and found nothing.

Our new caravan is of the latest wood-free construction - supposedly very much stronger than before and it is much better constructed than the previous two.

One thing I did note; our second and latest caravans have massively deep and robust chassis rails compared to the first. It was very noticeable how much higher off the ground the floor was on the second van - due to the stronger chassis.

I did an experiment with our new 110, Gracie, and did her first towing trip without the Shocklink - the difference between the old 110 and the new one was very noticeable - much smoother due to the different suspension setup. However I could see no downside to the shocklink so I refitted it (I can imagine Brendan nodding in an approving manner).

One of the main advantages on a day-to-day basis is that the handle of the alko tow hitch can be opened without fouling the spare wheel - the Shocklink moves the towball back a few inches. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #617589 18th Apr 2017 6:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>