Home > In Car Electronics > iPad or iPhone for ICE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
iPad or iPhone for ICE
hi folks,

Just on a research mission, does anybody know whether you can use an iPad or iPhone to be your ICE system??

I know you have apple car play etc, but just wondering if I could have an iPad driving an amp or something.

Any ideas on how to get radio stations without using DAB (or having a data package).

Thanks in advance chaps.

Cheers
Andy
Post #617211 16th Apr 2017 11:55am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
Any ideas on how to get radio stations without using DAB (or having a data package).

get an FM, Shortwave, LW, MW. radio Laughing

Seriously though, i suppose you could use the iphone/ipad's headphone socket to connect it to an amp of some sort, i'm not sure what the point would be, being as there are loads of cheap single din head units with a USB port for connecting a phone?
Post #617222 16th Apr 2017 12:31pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
You can pick up FM stations on an iPad, usually you have to plug in some headphones to use as an antenna.

I did an audio installation from scratch in mine and bought a Bluetooth amp with no HU. It just sits in the cubby box and I just drive it from my phone meaning I can stream music via 3G, or use the FM radio app on my phone if I want to listen to radio.

I guess this would mean if you can find a suitable dash mount, you could use a similar setup to play your music/radio from the ipad and then have sat nav etc up on the screen. Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html

Last edited by trickster5000 on 16th Apr 2017 12:44pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #617223 16th Apr 2017 12:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, you could with this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-SHIELDED-OFC-...SwpRRWn4K7
However, it's hard to perceive how much battery drain this would create but I doubt much of an issue.

If you wanted a system of multiple Amps you'd need Amps with RCA in-puts and outputs. (In my opinion better than splitters)
So you can "Daisy chain" them, so they would work actively in sync.
Many premium Class D Amplifiers also have an external control.

Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #617224 16th Apr 2017 12:42pm
ROBBONTHEROCK

Thanks all,

Only reason I raise this is because to buy a double din radio is circa 400 to 500 and it will not always have carplay. Also what do we want our stereos to actually do?

SatNav - yes if double Din;
Play iTunes or android Music;
Wifi - possibly;
integrate with phones;
Radio - digital or FM;

A lot od double dins are trying to be computers but they are years behind in the tech, surely the answer is to be able to use consumer tech which changes every 2 years and have some way to use it as your ICE system.

For example I can pick up a cheap iPad mini 3 for <250, that's a lot of processing power to run satnav and play music.....am surely you could tailor it in some way so it was a permanent feature on the truck..

Also note that you can get all sorts of plug-ins for ipad or androids to drive:-

Scangauge;
BAS Remaps;
diagnostic tools;
Plus more;

Anyway, just food for thought, might put my money where my mouth is if I can.

Cheers
Andy
Post #617264 16th Apr 2017 5:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You are right, crossed my mind many times.

You should look at the Ram mounts too that 4x4 Overlander does. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #617267 16th Apr 2017 6:23pm
trickster5000

It's an excellent idea - tablets are far more powerful, versatile and up to date than any double din unit.

The only problem I see is you will be left with an empty din slot. Also, all the tablet mounts seem quite clumsy.

I'll be interested to see if you can make it work! Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #617277 16th Apr 2017 6:45pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Post #617279 16th Apr 2017 7:14pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
trickster5000 wrote:
Also, all the tablet mounts seem quite clumsy.

I'll be interested to see if you can make it work! Thumbs Up

Not the Ram mount camp on for the passenger grab handle., works very well and you can get all bits for it to make it how you like.
I can't stand the ones that bolt t the seat rail though.....

In dash wise, it'd be a case of measurements.
That's providing the sizes of tablets don't keep varying.
What you'd really need is an in-dash set up that can take a variable sizes of tablets but with a seamless edge that is variable in size if need be.
Problem is there is no rear access, but there is ways around it.

2DIN units and 1DIN flip out imo are no long worth their huge price tag, it's neigh impossible to keep it future proof unless you want to throw about 500 or so at it very few years. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #617281 16th Apr 2017 7:25pm
ROBBONTHEROCK

Thanks, good discussion.

I wonder what I can cook up over the next couple of months.

I think the key is to how its mounted on the dash and therefore how factory it will look.

One aspect I'm not sure about is when it goes to sleep and when it wakes up.....

All very intriguing.

Cheers
Andy
Post #617294 16th Apr 2017 7:56pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I have a cheep (ish) single DIN pioneer DAB stereo that has USB sockets that plays blue tooth and a CD - it links to a Samsun 7 tablet that has Co-Pilot satnav on and all my engine management system, and also runs a free dash cam that works fab. I also have hands free on my phone to the radio.

The combination works a treat as I have access to the music on the pad, on my phone and on a memory stick, I can play films and internet telly on my tablet by linking it though the phone signal as well ... and see who cut me up on the last corner too ... simples !
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126

Last edited by wyvern on 16th Apr 2017 8:54pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #617300 16th Apr 2017 8:04pm
trickster5000

There's an interesting article here: http://www.androidauthority.com/tablet-car-dash-install-631519/

I know it's android-based, however it should still have all the features of an ipad. It also describes an app for Android which will turn the screen on (and keep it on) when the cars ignition is on.

Not sure on the dimensions but maybe the Nexus 7 would fit nicely in the double din fascia upgrade you can get for puma dashboards. If so, you should be able to get a decent, factory looking finish.

Maybe worth a little investigation. Matt.

Post #617303 16th Apr 2017 8:10pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
ROBBONTHEROCK wrote:
Thanks all,

Only reason I raise this is because to buy a double din radio is circa 400 to 500 and it will not always have carplay. Also what do we want our stereos to actually do?

SatNav - yes if double Din;
Play iTunes or android Music;
Wifi - possibly;
integrate with phones;
Radio - digital or FM;

A lot od double dins are trying to be computers but they are years behind in the tech, surely the answer is to be able to use consumer tech which changes every 2 years and have some way to use it as your ICE system.

For example I can pick up a cheap iPad mini 3 for <250, that's a lot of processing power to run satnav and play music.....am surely you could tailor it in some way so it was a permanent feature on the truck..

Also note that you can get all sorts of plug-ins for ipad or androids to drive:-

Scangauge;
BAS Remaps;
diagnostic tools;
Plus more;

Anyway, just food for thought, might put my money where my mouth is if I can.

Cheers
Andy

I'm with you. I suppose if it were me i wouldn't want to modify the dash too much to accept it, because as you've pointed out they're outdated every couple of years.

I think the simplest thing as others have said is to fit a decent single Din stereo with blue tooth and or a USB input. That way you can use the tablet for the more advanced features, but use the radio for to more mundane sound output and radio receiving work. It's also easy to update the tablet with a newer one when you want to.
Post #617304 16th Apr 2017 8:13pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
I use my iPhone 6S plus (the big Censored ) for phone, music, radio (via the internet) Sat Nav etc and the head unit is nothing more than an amplifier.

I was connecting the iPhone via stereo Bluetooth or USB, but found the aux lead was preferable, as the iPhone's echo cancellation is much better than the Kenwood head unit, and hay-Siri works too. Now gone - 2012 2.2 110 DC XS
Post #617311 16th Apr 2017 8:43pm
Splash

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
I've been thinking about using an iPad as a HU for a while now, after seeing the kits you can get in the US from soundmanca.com but they're mega money for a little tray. I've watched a few of his youtube videos and although it might take some time and skill to do I reckon its possible to mount an iPad mini horizontally in place of the headunit, as if its a double din displacing the top buttons.

Just need to find a scrap centre dash to chop about to give it a go Whistle

As for audio he was running it through a digital sound processor from Audison (again mega money) Splash
Post #620288 28th Apr 2017 10:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>