↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 59 <123 ... 91011 ... 575859>
Print this entire topic · 
donmacn

This is good stuff! Pretty hard core from my point of view. Bow down I might tackle it if I'd researched it hard enough but my heart would be in my mouth the whole time in case I came across something that meant the car was stuck in my garage, and hard to get to a proper garage!

I think it also highlights the 'double-edged sword' nature of the extra gauge. I like the idea on one hand, but I also know it would just give me lots more readings and data to get concerned about. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #697587 1st Apr 2018 9:05am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
This is good stuff! Pretty hard core from my point of view. Bow down I might tackle it if I'd researched it hard enough but my heart would be in my mouth the whole time in case I came across something that meant the car was stuck in my garage, and hard to get to a proper garage!

I think it also highlights the 'double-edged sword' nature of the extra gauge. I like the idea on one hand, but I also know it would just give me lots more readings and data to get concerned about.

The worst bit of this job is doing it on your back and in my case getting oil in my hair... Yuk...! I know what you mean about the double edged sword: Knowledge is power, knowledge is a curse... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter I would prefer to have the knowledge than live (or drive in this case) in ignorance, especially when it comes to Miffy.

Next on the list is the seals and other oil weeps plus replacing the injector seals and washers. Looking forward to standing up this afternoon Laughing Laughing
Post #697614 1st Apr 2018 11:52am
donmacn

Laughing One of these days I'll need to Gunk / degrease my engine. It's properly manky - but I dread to think how many places the oil will be escaping from.

I'm pretty sure I've read through this whole thread at some point, but I did 'perk up' at the madman gauge. I hadn't been aware of them - but there are so many other basic things to fix first that it's not at the top of the list. Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #697712 1st Apr 2018 5:54pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ahhh the Madman gauge... Fabulous for sure and so many ways to wire it up depending on what your sensor priorities are.

Well today started off well, no rain Thumbs Up I managed to get the filters done and refitted the oil pressure sensors using thread-loc this time. Hopefully that will sort out the oil weep. Next on the list was to pop the rocker cover off and replace the injector seals...

Click image to enlarge

...This is where today disappeared... I am afraid I am victim to someone else's over exuberance with the silicon gasket sealer... Good grief... took the better part of an hour to prize the cover off and quite some time to clean up all the gasket. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I still have the injectors to do tomorrow, but turned ny attention to replacing the camshaft seals. The rear one is almost impossible to replace with the engine in the vehicle, so left it and ran in to the gasket issue with the front timing chain cover. Good grief... Ended up tapping and drilling the cover to get a purchase on it. Sorted now. Well almost. One little tug of the button on my overalls and the hard plastic coolant pipe leading to the top of the EGR cooler snapped in half dumping coolant on the floor... Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

A good mug of coffee later and a solution occurred: Get rid of the EGR cooler altogether. I have deleted the rest of the EGR so why not the cooler. Turns out that it is remarkably easy to redirect the pipework, adjust pipe lengths and reattach. Added benefit os that there is much less clutter in the from of the engine bay and should the timing case seal need replacing again (which it will) that will be much easier too. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Need coolant though...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So, tomorrow I will not be travelling back along the A55 to home, but finishing the job I started today... Such is life.
Post #697795 1st Apr 2018 10:09pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Huh... Snow! I do wish I had somewhere undercover to work on vehicles... Time for Plan-B I think, but coffee first.
Post #697817 2nd Apr 2018 6:59am
L110CDL

England 
A lot of great maintenance you have got done there Bow down as for a cover over you and Miffy, what about one off those tent like car covers ?
Hope you get all your work completed on Miffy tomorrow Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #698124 2nd Apr 2018 9:25pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Is it back together? How did it affect the oil pressure? Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #698464 4th Apr 2018 10:55am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well it has been quite a while but I am still here and Miffy is still working hard. Loads to tell, but for now a very exciting little present arrived through the post...

Cannot wait to get it installed in the Mud Pod. Really missed having a boost gauge;

Click image to enlarge
Post #730082 20th Sep 2018 8:54am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
All I can say tonight is... SO EXCITED... Bow down Bow down

Can you tell what it is...?

Click image to enlarge

Best Evil eBay buy ever... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Post #733376 6th Oct 2018 8:23pm
donmacn

I've got an idea - but hate to spoil the fun for everyone else! Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #733379 6th Oct 2018 8:34pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Don, I thought it'd take someone longer than that to guess. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Looking forward to my early morning commute tomorrow I can tell you... Thumbs Up

Oh and thank you to forum sponsors MobileCentre for getting the retaining rings to me in time for the weekend Thumbs Up

Also on the list today is to refresh the coolant as I haven't replaced it since the coolant explosion in the summer. I am not 100% confident that it is anywhere near the correct mix specification and since we got down to at least 0-degC last night... The time has come...

Transfer gearbox oil temp... Must have been like treacle this morning

Click image to enlarge
Post #733436 7th Oct 2018 11:06am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Door Hinges and Grease Mod
So the hinges have arrived along with the fixing kit and spacers, one small issue;

Click image to enlarge

Being speedily sorted by Foundry 4x4 as I type.

Grease Mod: Somewhere and I cannot find reference to it I saw a genius modification for standard Defender (and Series) door hinges whereby a small hole is drilled to the hinge pin and grease inserted with a chainsaw bar grease gun... So simple it actually hurts...

So I have just done it prior to painting. Quite simply centre punch where the hole will be, 3mm drill bit and 10 minutes later you have a grease channel. Do not worry about damaging the pin, it is hardened steel and you will feel the difference in drilling resistance long before any damage occurs. Blow out the chaff. Swap to a larger drill (5mm) and use it to chamfer the hole a bit; this will help with mating the grease gun nozzle later on. The hole is pretty well protected from the elements, but I am looking for a small 3mm cap to sit in the hole. Something like;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N29FFSX/ref...5221627712

...if I can find it in 3mm. If not I might consider re-drilling and using the 5mm caps instead...

Photos;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Pretty impressed with the quality of the hinges overall, a little rough casting in a few places but not at all bad.

Really hope my paint job is up to the task. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post #734006 10th Oct 2018 12:04pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
ECU Earth Extension
This is another very simple job that I have been meaning to do for ages.

From what I understand (from the mouth of Ian at IRB some years ago) this modification becomes more important when the ECU is remapped and can prevent poor engine performance.

I would imagine even more so as the vehicles components begin to get on in age; Miffy is now 16 year old... Shocked

ECU box direct earth extension mod

Extending the earth post under the drivers' seat back to the -ve terminal of the battery. The idea of course is to provide a direct earth path from the ECU to the battery by-passing any corroded body to body to chassis to body connections that currently exist.

Total time was about 15 minutes. Gear: 2m of 6mm earth cable (overkill but it is what I had to hand), 2x ring terminals and a handful of cable ties.

There is a convenient cable route at the rear of both the ECU and battery boxes that the ECU boxes +ve power follows and provides a direct and safe route for this earth extension.

Measure out cable, add ring terminals, route between the under seat boxes, one terminal on the earth post in the ECU box and the other on the -ve of the battery. Cable ties to tidy up.

Click image to enlarge

Eeeshk... must clean out the mud... Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge
Post #734021 10th Oct 2018 12:59pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Switches in the Mud Pod
Last but not least the reason for all the above work today was that I was waiting in for an imminent delivery... Had no idea what it was until I opened the package...

SWITCHES... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Finally the Mud Pod is beginning to look complete and less like a toothless grin.

Click image to enlarge

Just the dual volt gauge to arrive and all will be present and require wiring up Rolling Eyes Love the wiring stage...
Post #734033 10th Oct 2018 1:41pm
donmacn

Looks like good stuff. How are the 'mystery components' - or were you waiting for those specific switches..? I suspect not if the retaining rings were needed?

I also saw that hinge mod - and thought it was a good, simple idea. But I know from experience that my paint job on the hinges wasn't good enough, hence why I opted for alu. ones. Hopefully your experience will be different - and probably will be given the correct and methodical approach you take to things. [/u] Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #734042 10th Oct 2018 2:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 59 <123 ... 91011 ... 575859>