↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 60 <123 ... 8910 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Good luck Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #695615 23rd Mar 2018 10:17am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oh yeah... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Love exclamation mark as if the pass was ever in doubt... Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

Wonder what the advisories will be...
Post #695647 23rd Mar 2018 12:18pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ah haaaa no advisories either. Defender Done good today Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Tomorrow begins the rest of the Madman wiring...

And i want to measure up for a fridge mount in the second row seating area. The question at the moment is centre behind the cubby box or an outer edge... choices... Rolling Eyes
Post #695762 23rd Mar 2018 9:42pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well that is it the Madman has been installed and I love it, everything I could want in a multi-gauge. Except that is for the infernal beeping alarm that is telling me that Miffys oil pressure is poor and at hot idle dwindles to nothing at all... Big Cry Big Cry

Please pretty please don't let it mean a bottom end rebuild...

Madman fitted and opperational.

Click image to enlarge

Madman displaying the bad news.

Click image to enlarge

Madman and Nanocom - Bad news 1.

Click image to enlarge

Madman and Nanocom - Bad news 2.

Click image to enlarge

So first step will be to make sure all the vehicle earths are tip-top as apparently the Madman gauge is very sensitive to bad earths.

Next it will be to change the oils and filters and at the same time drop the sump (gasket could do with changing) and double check the pump bolt is A-OK.

Just ordered oils from our good friends at Opie: https://www.opieoils.co.uk - Great price for quality oil.

Also ordered gaskets and filters from LRDirect: https://www.lrdirect.com/home.php - Never let me down unlike other parts sellers...

Here is looking forward to a good few hours under Miffy over the Easter break... Fingers crossed the weather holds.
Post #696438 27th Mar 2018 12:50pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Earth point diagram;

Click image to enlarge
Post #696440 27th Mar 2018 12:55pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yesterday I bought some oil additive to increase the viscosity as a stop gap to replacing the oils and filters this weekend. This morning I had a faintest amount of oil pressure showing on the Madman gauge, 0.9 bar. Laughing Laughing Anyway I am glad the bandaid is sort of working. This had me thinking that the lack of oil pressure is unlikely to be the oil pump (unless the outer ring of the pump has split) as the pressure does build up quickly once the RPMs increase. It is just the idle pressure that is very poor. So, "death by a hundred cuts" maybe, I know there are a number of places oil is seeping out of a seal or gasket. Probably best case, but it is a starting point.

Just to perk up this thread this is from yesterday mornings dog walk/training;

Click image to enlarge
Post #696650 28th Mar 2018 8:22am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It has started... The oils have arrived (super service form Opie Oils), parts have arrived (LRDirect) and today an entirely new icon popped up on the dash that I have never experienced before in this country...

Click image to enlarge

Yes yes I know I have an leak or two Rolling Eyes Big Cry

Seriously, water in the fuel filter how often does that happen in the UK?!?!

On to the job at hand. Engine oil flushed and draining as I type. Noticed it was very runny even when cold, but didn't smell of diesel... Odd...

Next step sump off.
Post #697169 30th Mar 2018 12:12pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Good news Mr. Green Mr. Green Pump bolt is solid as a rock... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up I am now wondering whether it is worth checking the pump internals (cracked ring) as well since the sump is off.

Bolts in order, there is no other way to do this;

Click image to enlarge

Actually the sump is not off, it is loose but I need to remove the steering bar to squeeze it by so off the ramps and on to axle stands to increase the room between the axle and the engine. Then it is time to clean everything.

Love days off Laughing Laughing
Post #697207 30th Mar 2018 2:22pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok Next step done. Pretty much all clean and ready for assembly tomorrow morning. Amazing how long it took to scrub off 190k miles of crud from the sump.

Method: Getting the sump off on a defender is much easier than on a Disco 2. Chock wheels. Jack up the front end of the chassis and make safe on axle stands. This gives enough room to get the sump out over the axle. Remove one side of the track rod and move to one side. For this you may have to remove your diff guard. It is not necessary to remove the exhaust down pipe if you do not want to. Take the time to draw out the sump on card (use the new gasket as a template) to keep the bolt order safe. For ease whilst lying on my back I also wrote the bolt removal and refit order on the card too (they are not the reverse of each other).

Looking at the dirty seal there did appear to be oil bypassing the sump gasket from the front left front corner. It also looked as if there was oil bypassing the bolts in a number of places too.

To replace or not to replace... I finished yesterday with the thought that since the oil pump bolt is still tight after all this time I would leave it, but this morning I have decided (should the rain let up) to replace it as I still do not know if it was one of the bolts that had thread-loc from new. Better safe than sorry and all.

One mistake so far: I did not order a gasket for the oil return pipe. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ach well best break out the gasket sealer and hope... what a prat Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by geobloke on 31st Mar 2018 9:07am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #697254 30th Mar 2018 6:02pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Plan for today is pretty obvious:

Replace the oil pump bolt,
    get the sump back on,
    replace the oil filters
    and refill with oil.

Should I get that done with minimal effort then it is on to;

Thread-loc MadMan sensors,
    Replace cam shaft seals (small leak there too),
    Search for other leaks and de-grease the block,
    Locate and clean vehicle earthing points,
    Batteries on charge over night (should have done that last night...)

Then start her up, check for leaks and hope that this solves the low oil pressure issue (think we need a prayer emoticon Admins...) Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #697359 31st Mar 2018 8:55am
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
+1 for the prayer emoji Laughing

A maintanance, i hope i find no other problems, the fixes works this time, hope i get no other problem in the next few weeks which require to undo all the same things i’ve undone now, prayer emoji please Martin a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #697362 31st Mar 2018 9:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geobloke

United Kingdom 
HA Laughing Laughing Glad I am not the only one...

AT the moment all I can say is 1) Yes a hot cross bun would be great with my coffee and 2) I think the rain is slowing up a bit... Rolling Eyes
Post #697369 31st Mar 2018 9:30am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok since I am down there and replacing the pump bolt I am going to have a look at the pressure relief valve as well, clean it, oil it and replace. Fingers crossed the spring is not broken. It is after all accessible.

Click image to enlarge
Post #697377 31st Mar 2018 9:49am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Good grief that was a much longer day than expected Rolling Eyes

After deciding to replace the oil pump bolt this morning I am thrilled that I did. It did not have any thread lock, although apparently tight. Quick job whilst the sump was off for peace of mind.

I also dismantled the oil pressure relief valve as it was just there and boy am I glad that I did. Stuck! Shocked Shocked solid Shocked Shocked

The threaded plug came out easy enough followed by the spring, but the actual value too the better part of 40 minutes to extradite from the oil pump housing. It looks like there has been some grit or debris had become wedged between the valve and the body of the pump. It was very stuck. You can see the score marks on the valve. They are not deep thankfully.

The other thing to check is the length of the spring, it should be 42mm but this one is 41.5mm. On this I tried to order a replacement, but it appears that unlike other Land Rover engines you cannot buy any of the valve components separately from the TD5 oil pump. Utterly sucks. So back in it goes and fingers crossed. At least it is free to work now.

Click image to enlarge

Next ont he list was to clean the pick up spout which had a surprising amount of gunk accumulated where the mesh meets the plastic housing.

The bolts form the gearbox through to the sump were an utter pain to get back in, but it is all back together again Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Only other pain of the day was the demise of the Eezi-drain sump plug (originally from Difflock.com). I took it off to clean the seals and on refitting it just twisted apart and the odd thing is I only turned it in by hand. Obviously do not know my own strength. Gutted as it is an superb piece of gear. Big Cry Big Cry Thankfully i kept the original sump plug...

Back on the ground;

Tomorrow it is filters, oil and the camshaft seals to replace. Looking forward to it, really hope this sorts out the low pressure at idle issues. Guess the pressure relief valve could of been partially stuck open... Possibly...
Post #697545 31st Mar 2018 10:10pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Fingers crossed it all works Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #697557 31st Mar 2018 11:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 60 <123 ... 8910 ... 585960>