↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > blower / a/c conundrum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
No, the coil of the clutch. It is an electromagnetic clutch. Disconnect the connector where you measured 12v going to the clutch and the other side of the connector measure in ohms what the coil resistance is. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #638098 17th Jul 2017 8:51pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I checked a few and they're roughly the same as the compressor relay at 94.8 ohm. Confused
Post #638107 17th Jul 2017 9:03pm
Caterham

Doh. Sorry.

I will measure the coil resistance but I've not yet measured 12v at the compressor, only at the compressor relay.
Post #638117 17th Jul 2017 9:26pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Firstly measure the 12v at the closest connector to the compressor to ensure that the compressor is getting the supply required to close the clutch. At the same time measure the clutch coil resistance.

If R181 is not closing then this is an ECM control issue. Please make sure you are measuring the relay correctly.

When relay is active (closed) you will have 12v across 85 and 86, and 0v across 30 and 87.

The easiest way to check that ECM is giving clutch on signal is to measure resistance between 86 and a good ground (should be near 0ohm), but you can also measure 12v between 85 and 86 My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #638164 18th Jul 2017 7:24am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you haven't already done so, check that the main wiriing harness that runs round the engine (starting in the vicinity of the ECM and wending its way all the way round to the alternator) hasn't been chafing at any of the points where it is secured to the brackets on the engine. It is very common for significant damage to occur, and for this to result in either open circuit, short circuit, or ground faults, or even spontaneous combustion of the vehicle.

The connections to the AC compressor are prime candidates for chafing damage.

When my turbo packec up some time ago I eventually traced the fault to harness damage and found that one fo the sensing wires for the stepper motor ont he actuator had completely chafed through where the harness is secured at the front of the engine. More disturbing was the fact that in about four other places there was significant chafing damage (to the extent that bare copper was visible on various wires) including damage to the main 100A output from the alternator to the battery, since this is not fused and is connected directly to the battery, I am pretty sure that I was days away from a vehiclar supernova event.
Post #638166 18th Jul 2017 7:46am
Caterham

Hi BW.

Thanks for you comments Shocked you knowing I'm of a nervous disposition I'm hoping you're having a laugh at the thought of me driving a long having to stop every few miles taking a sniff round the car with fire extinguisher at the ready.......

I'm fitting the new rear diff tonight and def will be in the air the weekend for new g.box and transferbox so will have a good look around at that time.

....and might put me new wheels / tyres on too ready for Spain.

I've got everything crossed.
Post #638391 19th Jul 2017 8:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234