↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Summer Holiday Booked - South of France in the Defender.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
justinp

United Kingdom 
Summer Holiday Booked - South of France in the Defender.
Finally, SHMBO has agreed to camping in the south of France and driving down in the Defender. We've not camped for a few years, but the when we have before, we have mostly driven down overnight in one go, sharing the driving.

Our 2012 110 Double Cab certainly won't be quiet as comfy as when we cruised down in a Range Rover, so are there any must-fit modifications that I should plan to do before we set off? i.e. Sound Proofing?

Previously I've towed a trailer to carry all the camping paraphernalia, but as the DC pickup is deceptively large since moving the spare wheel to the tailgate, I'm optimistic I can fit everything in the back.
Post #597236 29th Jan 2017 12:40pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Having done trips to the SoF and several runs up to Calais in my 90, I can thoroughly recommend French autoroute motoring for our "rugged go anywhere" vehicles. The lack of traffic (except during peak holiday periods) and smooth pavement makes the Defender almost feel refined.

Top modification for the purpose has got to be cruise control. It transforms the vehicle, far more so than one would expect.

Registering for a peage "thingy" (Bip & Go) that books the payment directly and enables you to use the drive through lanes, is also a must have.

You´ll have a great time down there.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #597246 29th Jan 2017 1:20pm
Froglaise

With all the mods I have for my RHD in France (have to do 800 miles a month on the autoroute Evil or Very Mad between farms) I'd say the best is the larger wing mirrors with integrated blind-spot sections (got mine from MUD). For me it's the only true must fit for French roads in a RHD - you get a lot more warning of French nutters flying up to you in the left lane of any dual carriage way road, helps big time on roundabouts and you'll not need to worry too much about packing the back up and obscuring the rear window.

Those and the tele-pčage pass for autoroutes and some parking places, coming in a close 2nd.
Forward facing "overtaking" camera going in soon but you'll have a passenger so not really something you'll need.

I found sealing up the doors a more rewarding mod than the partial soundproofing I've done so far, though will soon be doing stage 2 of that.

My lux vote would be some LH traffic headlights - relatively cheap and easy to fit. If you are doing a lot of night driving these will save the flashing you'll get even with headlight beam adapters. Plus I've grown to hate Brits who don't sort their lights before driving over here.

Also, save yourself hours of boring road and go Newhaven-Dieppe and head around the west side of Paris rather than come across at Calais. Cheap as chips too that route.

Oh, and sort any anti-pollution stickers you may need before you go.
Post #597250 29th Jan 2017 1:34pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Absolute must is cruise control, wouldn't be without it now. Ive just leearnt to slow down, set it to 100km/h, the noise is bearable, you can still talk and range is good at that speed. Seat extension rails if you are tall, padded cubby box lid to lean on and maybe climairwind deflectors if you don't have air con. The passenger side gove box mod is handy for a big bag of Haribo.

Can't comment on sound deadening, but I'd only do it if I could try a car with it first to hear difference.

I have the peage tag from Sanef.co.uk and it's nice to have but there is a cost to it and it doesn't actually make a huge difference unless you are travelling on French holiday when you can use the high speed lane to cut the queue somewhat. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #597253 29th Jan 2017 1:38pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
I seem to remember the peage tag cost about €25,- to buy. You then a pay an extra €2,- service charge per the calender month you actually use the device. When not used, it doesn´t incur any further charges. Doesn´t make the peage any cheaper, but is very convenient.

If you are only likely to use it for the one trip, then I agree, it is probably not worthwhile. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #597269 29th Jan 2017 2:16pm
Bluest

Regarding the tag. There are the I initial set up fees, then monthly usage charge of 5€ (max two of those) plus an annual admin fee that I can't recall. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #597275 29th Jan 2017 2:23pm
Froglaise

Depends which one you get but generally it's either free or about €4 for setup and then a monthly of €2 or less (or free).
I have an annual tag with no monthly which costs €130 per year but gets me up to 50% off any trip over 30km. Saved me 276€ last year.

You can get short period tag for holidays, higher to buy but no monthly charge - just stop at first main office place on autoroute at tolls and you can buy one.
Post #597305 29th Jan 2017 3:45pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
Hi Chaps, I have a Sanef tolling tag already and wouldn't be without it. I particular enjoy watching the locals assume you're in the wrong lane with UK number plates and move to more congested lanes, only to race back over when they see you've not been a numpty after all.

Cruise control sounds like a good call, I've not driven in France without it, so I'll add that to the must fit list. I'll take a look at the blind spot mirrors too.

My 110 DC has air conditioning which i intend to get serviced before the trip. It works well enough most of the time, although on a few hot days last summer it wasn't as cool as I would have liked.
Post #597306 29th Jan 2017 3:45pm
BossHog

England 
Another plus for the cruise control transforms the fender to another level on long journey's, best mod of all IMHO

Post #597340 29th Jan 2017 5:27pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
As long as you have aircon you'll be fine. Insulation really helps when its 41C in the shade but perhaps a bit OTT to have that done for a holiday trip. Laughing
Post #597341 29th Jan 2017 5:31pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
justinp wrote:
Hi Chaps, I have a Sanef tolling tag already and wouldn't be without it. I particular enjoy watching the locals assume you're in the wrong lane with UK number plates and move to more congested lanes, only to race back over when they see you've not been a numpty after all.

Cruise control sounds like a good call, I've not driven in France without it, so I'll add that to the must fit list. I'll take a look at the blind spot mirrors too.

My 110 DC has air conditioning which i intend to get serviced before the trip. It works well enough most of the time, although on a few hot days last summer it wasn't as cool as I would have liked.

Defo get the Toll tag saved us a load of queuing and time
Post #597347 29th Jan 2017 5:50pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I was a little dubious taking the 110 after normal cars with cruise, auto etc but it was great.

We did 550 miles in one day from Annecy back to Canterbury and then drove back up to Cheshire the next day, The tolls roads are ace you can average what ever speed you want hour after hour. Kids were great and plenty of room for toys in the truck Smile

I sat around 65 mph, didn't actual miss cruise, guess it would have been nice.

I sound proofed mine before the trip but at motorway speeds less difference, In mine a 110 SW it helps having the back full and it was... but still manged to keep the extra seats in Smile

All in all it did very well, averaged around 28 mpg and carried a lot of stuff including the bikes on the back Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #597391 29th Jan 2017 7:21pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“headlight beam adapters”

If you’ve the standard Wipac lamps, the cheap’n’cheerful - and the most effective - solution is opaque adhesive tape cut to the shape of the fresnel quadrant on the left of the lamps as you look at them from the front. Gainsayers will object that the adhesive will/may damage the plastic, don’t know about high intensity lamps, but never a problem with my Osram Hi-Lites or whatever the uprated bulbs were called.

Peter
Post #597430 29th Jan 2017 8:30pm
Bluest

Tape works on Crystals with Osram bulbs too. I used cheap black electrical tape. For clear lens lamps, you can identify the bit to blank off by parking up to a wall and finding the bit where the kick up to left is by trial and error. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #597438 29th Jan 2017 8:42pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
I'm fairly certain my LED lights have a flat beam patten, if correct I won't be doing anything. Now gone - 2012 2.2 110 DC XS
Post #597476 29th Jan 2017 9:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>