↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Technical solution for driveway exit on a bend
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nick345345

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Technical solution for driveway exit on a bend
The exit from my house is on a blind bend with limited visibility in both directions. I've got a mirror one way, but it can't really be positioned to see far around the bend. However my property does extend quite a way around the bend in each direction. Unfortunately that doesn't mean I've can put a better entrance/exit in. But it got me thinking about using camera's and a screen. Roughly:

- 2 cameras, 1 at each end of my property pointing in each direction up the road
- a split picture on a weather proof tv screen at the top of the drive
- some sort of automatic or remote control trigger to turn the screen on as I approach the top of the drive.

Cameras would each be about 100m from where the screen would be. I'd need to run power or cables or both.

Bit of a long shot, but wondered if anyone had tried anything like this before, knows anyone that has, or can recommend a company that might be able to help me?

Thanks

Nick
Post #615534 9th Apr 2017 4:14pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I'd just use a pair of CCTV cameras pointing at the road. External ones (like the SystemQ NiteDevil ) as they're nice and rugged, and work well at night too (non IR but do pick up a lot of good ambient light)

Can be run via BALUNS so you can just use cat5 cable (or shotgun power+RG59 if you want). You''ll need a power supply and something to split the two inputs onto one screen, like this

A waterproof junction box can be used to put everything into (or just run the cables back to a garage/house, put all the controllers/PSU in there then just run a cable back out to the monitor by your driveway.

You could utilise some kind of timer, where you'd use a key fob to activate the timer (or one of those push button light switches that pop out after a pre set time) to power up the cameras & monitor (remember it'll all take 10~20 seconds or so to "wake up", although you can leave the cameras powered up 24/7 and just turn the monitor on/off, but that will still take some seconds, so you may want it to come on as you get in your car and not when you're actually driving towards the gateway...even those few/10 seconds of waiting for the monitor to show the footage will seem like hours when you're in a hurry!)
Post #615718 10th Apr 2017 7:49am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Try Mark at Ward intelligent security systems, he can do this, he has fitted systems to a number of farms locally 07923 082952

Any problems drop me a line 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #615731 10th Apr 2017 9:48am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello nick345345

For different reasons we did something similar, and where you place the cameras will be key to there
effectiveness. We have 6 installed around the property, 2 of which are mounted 'road side', the trick
was to get them up high, there is technically planning restrictions above 2.0M in England, if not on
the Property, but we got these 2 in trees, with some selective pruning, effectively now unseen, they
are also 'camouflaged' in their design with a vinyl wrap to the body and covers.

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #615736 10th Apr 2017 10:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1