↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Replacing lock barrels (1999 TD5)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hafman

United Kingdom 
Replacing lock barrels (1999 TD5)
In order to replace all of the lock barrels I have removed the driver's door card but am struggling to remove the external handle. There are two Phillips screws on the inside which presumably hold the handle to the door, but whilst the front one comes out, undoing the rear one doesn't seem to release the rear of the handle from the door.

Any Top Tips for where I might be going wrong? And am I right to assume that I do NOT need to remove the frame that the window sits in?

TIA
Post #614941 6th Apr 2017 5:30pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
The screw screws into a metal insert in the plastic of the handle and as the screw and insert corrode together this causes the insert to break free from the plastic of the handle. If the screw is turning you can pull on the outer Handel at the same time which will remove the plastic bit, then put some grips on the metal insert when it's exposed and try and break the corrosion by unscrewing the screw.

Sorry for the essay but I couldn't think how to explain it quickly Rolling with laughter Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #614950 6th Apr 2017 6:16pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
From what I remember when I replaced mine there was no need to remove the handle. The barrels are just secured by a small screw at the back - remove the door card and inner plastic liner and you'll see it. Prize off the little clip that holds the linkage and detach it. Then remove the screw and the barrel comes out from the outside of the door. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #614952 6th Apr 2017 6:36pm
hafman

United Kingdom 
Thanks both, especially gilarion for your tip re: small screw on the inside of the lock barrel. Saved me loads of time not having to actually remove the handle Very Happy

I've now done the ignition barrel and 2 of the three doors, and tomorrow I will complete the task; having to only have one key for all four locks will be a dream Whistle
Post #615183 7th Apr 2017 5:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1