↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Caution
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Caution
It has come to our attention that on various auction sites their are various adverts for Land Rover/4x4 parts being listed as new/genuine/without tags etc, cheapest on eBay etc.

What is wrong with that you ask?

Now if it is a well known respected company the chances are nothing will be wrong.

If it is a private seller selling one off it may well be genuine with someone selling an item surplus to need.

However if it is a private individual with large number of the same product I would suggest that alarm bells should start to ring. A private individual with large quantities of several different genuine brand new items???

Once come across a private individual selling 50 key fobs, was also selling genuine items which were only available from the manufacturing company against a valid VIN

With a company issuing a VAT receipt and you have concerns about them check if the VAT number is valid. Street view can be useful as well if used with caution. Companies can move so the name above the door might change.

We have recently been asked to check out some sellers for our customers.

A 'company' selling prestige cars were located in some posh flats, another company had an invalid VAT number.

Please take care when buying those new genuine items at a bargain price as your bargain might be at the expense of someone or some company misery.

IF you have doubts about some items contact the manufacturing company.

Brendan
Post #614719 5th Apr 2017 7:29pm
L110CDL

England 
Many thanks for the info Brendan Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #614728 5th Apr 2017 8:10pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
If it looks too good to be true..... Whistle Rolling Eyes  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #614730 5th Apr 2017 8:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I stopped using eBay years ago. It was OK at the start but now is a den of vice to stay well away from.
Post #614733 5th Apr 2017 8:21pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Had a few words with some manufacturers yesterday and now the ebay listings are

Quote:

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

Strange but other listings selling 'genuine' items have also disappeared.

As Martin said If something appears to be too good to be true.....

If YOU spot something which is too good to be true, do not just let it slip under the radar, inform the manufacturer, the importer, 101, ebay etc.

It may well be your Defender , parts from it, tool kit etc which someone thinks is a bargain up for sale without your permission.

Brendan
Post #614922 6th Apr 2017 3:02pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
A while ago I bought a ‘new’ take off part' from an eBay seller and decided to pick the part up in person. When I arrived at the sellers home I was taken to a large outbuilding crammed with new and take off parts, in fact enough parts to build several Defenders. I felt very uneasy that I may have unwittingly purchased a stolen part. All the way home I was thinking should I inform the police with my suspicions?

When I returned home I looked at all the seller’s ads to see if any gave further clues and I noticed in one of them that he was using a stand photograph at an LR show, the stand was Duckworth Parts a sponser of this furum. I immediately contacted Dan at Duckworth Parts to ask him did he know that this seller was using one of his trade photos on eBay and did he know the seller. Dan informed me he did know the man and could vouch for him and he had permission to use the photo. That was good news for me as the part I had bought was genuine and not stolen.

But as Brendan has said you cannot be too careful these days with LR parts, especially on eBay.
As luck would have it my seller was genuine so I had not further worries.

The trouble though with auction sites and the like is that some people who buy off them could not care less where the part came from, and because of that the people who sell ‘dodgy parts’ will continue to do so, unless honest buyers do something about it if they have suspicions.. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #614928 6th Apr 2017 3:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1