↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Adjustable Towbar Minimum Height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Sammyboy

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Sumatra Black
Adjustable Towbar Minimum Height
Although i'm still to convince the OH I am considering getting a 2.4 or 2.2 Tdci Defender to tow my caravan. I would prefer the 90 but I think the 110 would be a more practical choice. However i'm not sure which one would have the lowest tow ball position to tow my caravan. My Lunar caravan requires an Alko tow-ball to be 17 inches (centre ball) from the ground. Or 43cms. The tow-ball measures 8cms from its attachment bolt hole centre to centre ball.

Therefore the lowest tow-ball attachment bolt hole centres in the tow-bar need to be no more than 35 cms above ground.

Could anyone who has a 90 or preferably a 110 with an adjustable tow-bar measure the lowest position of the tow-ball attachment bolt hole centres from the ground. Both measurements would be useful to compare as I believe the suspension on a 110 is stiffer and could therefore be higher??

I also believe a Dixon Bate adjustable tow-bar is the best and lowest one available?? But is it low enough??

Alternatively is there a fixed style tow-bar that goes down as low as I need?? Again actual measurements would be very helpful.

Many thanks in anticipation for any help you can provide.
Post #613906 1st Apr 2017 11:13pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The 110 has the same springs on the rear as standard as the 90, but it weighs more so sits very slightly lower and also rides better due to the extra length. (110's also have a larger fuel tank)

However there is a heavy duty suspension option which makes them sit higher.
Post #613912 2nd Apr 2017 12:13am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Centre of tow ball should be between 350 and 420 mm above level ground.

It is not just springs which effects tow ball height but tyre size as well.

If towing caravans consider a Dixon Bates shock link as well.

Brendan
Post #613920 2nd Apr 2017 4:32am
nick345345

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
I have a USW 110 with 285/75/16 tyres with a Dixon bate adjustable tow bar. On the lowest setting the bolt holes are just under 360mm from the ground. That's with the vehicle empty.

Click image to enlarge
Post #613959 2nd Apr 2017 10:03am
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
Mmmmm, how naughty would it be to have a machine shop drill two more holes the cross pin direction?

I bet you could load test that as well, i doubt dropping it down by say 50mm, would produce a large enough moment to cause failure......

Do dixon bate not offer specials, that you could buy maybe?

Cheers
Andy
Post #613962 2nd Apr 2017 10:59am
Sammyboy

nick345345 wrote:
I have a USW 110 with 285/75/16 tyres with a Dixon bate adjustable tow bar. On the lowest setting the bolt holes are just under 360mm from the ground. That's with the vehicle empty.

Click image to enlarge

Thanks Nick that is very helpful. You seem to have quite big tyres also.......about 14mm taller than the more popular ones of 235/85/16.
Post #613968 2nd Apr 2017 11:35am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Sammyboy

I think the Dixon Bate 200mm Adjustable Coupling will get you to within the range you are looking for.

It is all about the exact arrangements, your question was 'generally' what's the lowest you can achieve... Question

I have a 90 on larger Wheels and Tyres, a NAS Rear Step to which the 200mm Adjustable Dixon Bate Coupling is attached and went for a 'custom' arrangement using the lowest fixing points on the Slider to achieve a 375mm Centre Ball height (long neck ALKO Ball) The Slider is also bolted through (security and I only need one height)
This also gives room for a NATO Hitch above....conveniently for me also at the right height for my X MOD Trailer.

Placing the Tow Ball at this 'low level' works for our Eriba Van and although it is relatively small and light, I made up some additional metal work to brace the Coupling at its lower level.

Dixon Bate will send you the drawings for their products...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #613971 2nd Apr 2017 11:52am
Sammyboy

Hi Skip

Many thanks for your very helpful reply. Is the Dixon Bate any lower fitted to the NAS footstep than it would be if fitted conventionally to the rear cross member??

How do you find the 90 for towing your Caravan over longer distances (200+ miles) as opinion seems to favour the 110 as it is supposed to be more stable, less pitching etc!!!
Post #613998 2nd Apr 2017 2:26pm
X4SKP

Hello Sammyboy

Yes... again depending on exactly what you do, I effectively lowered the Tow Ball height by 85mm
than if the Dixon Bate Adjustable Coupling had been attached directly to the Rear Cross Member.
If you look carefully you will also see that I inverted the Drop Plate in my set up, against the 'Standard'
arrangement (on the left) but this gives you the general idea.

Click image to enlarge

Fixing to the NAS Step does a few other things...

It projects the whole Towing Frame and therfore Tow Ball 130mm further away from the rear of the Defender
which can help when tight turning with a trailer / caravan

It also helps when you open the rear door of the Defender as you have just that extra space before it collides
with what your towing.

You can still climb in more easily than without a step... Exclamation

I have no real 110 experience in Towing, but the 90 works really well, our Eriba is 1200kg unladen, probably 1500-1800kg ready to go.

The Eriba at effectively the same width and height as a Defender (Roof Down) and a 'Bullet' shaped front end
means collectively it really does Tow well...This will be dead straight at 70mph, which I crept up to once inadvertently... Shocked
We have twisted our way through some tight places in both Wales and The Lake District and whilst we would have still done this in a 110, the 90 is more 'compact'.

The 90 for us is a Two person + Dog Vehicle, (Children at Uni' now)
We often use a Roof Box too...I'd say if you have a Family or lots of Kit (the two go hand in hand)
a 110 can soon prove to be the only option.

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck SKIP
Post #614018 2nd Apr 2017 3:46pm
Sammyboy

Hi Skip

Thanks again for your very helpful (and for you time consuming) reply. Your measurements therefore suggest that fitted to the cross-member the Dixon Bate lowest holes would be approximately 35mm to high. Your tow ball centre being 50mm lower than needed but raising it 85mm would be approx 35mm too high!

I see on the Dixon Bate website they do an adjustable Tow - bar with a 260mm range where yours is 200mm.

We are also without children (she is now grown up and married) so there is just the two of us and an English Springer Spaniel. Our caravan has an MTPLM of 1440kg so very similar to yours.
We generally Caravan in the UK within 200 miles of our home but like to go to the Dordogne once a year which is approximately 500+ miles each way with at least one overnight stop.

So perhaps a 90 will do for us.......its what I have always wanted (just because I do!!) and would prefer for when not towing but just thought a 110 would be more advisable.

Cheers once again.
Post #614023 2nd Apr 2017 4:28pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Sammy, the decision as to whether you go for a 90 or 110 isnīt straight forward. They each have their advantages, both with and without a trailer. A 110 will offer better directional stability by virtue of itīs longer wheelbase. However, because the distance from the rear axle to the tow bracket is also longer, the trailer is able to exert more leverage on the tow vehicle. When manouvring in close quarters, the 90 also has a clear advantage. The 110 is the clear winner if you have family, dogs, and/or alot of equipment on board, even when the caravan is at home. A 90 is a great 2 seater, is quieter and demands less from both heater and AC. The short wheelbase ride is however an aquired taste on bumpy roads Laughing

Concerning the tow ball height, this is my solution. My 90 has about 2" lift on heavy duty springs and large diameter 255/85 tyres, and because I have a number of standard height dual axle trailers, i wanted to get the towball down to the usual 41 - 43 cm height. Using the factory Land Rover tow bracket, and a 90 mm drop - ball from Thule, the centre of the tow ball is at 44cm unloaded, and goes down to about 42 cm once a trailer with 100 Kg hitch weight is hooked up.
The tow has a D-value of 25 and can take up to 200 Kg hitch weight, so is well suited for the job.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #614029 2nd Apr 2017 5:12pm
X4SKP

Hello Sammyboy

Again its about exactly how your potential 90 or 110 is set up

I have oversized Wheels and Tyre's that all came with the Defender
(prepared for a customer that changed his mind then needed a 'quick' sell)

They are a 20' Concept LRX Wheels developed for the Range Rover with 275/60R20 Cooper Zeon Tyres
fitted, I originally intended to swap them but have just got use to them, but they are 33''high so this will
raise the Defender.

My figures are a Tow Ball height of 375mm when fitted to the NAS Rear Step if transferred to the Rear Cross Member
(lowest two fixing positions) would then give around a 460mm, so 30mm higher than you need...standard Tyre's and you maybe close...

The picture appears wrong on the 260 Height Adjustable DB (worth checking)...
http://dixon-bate.co.uk/products/gb/height...coup-.html

This is the 200

90 / 110....decision decisions The Storage Space in a 110 is very similar to the 90 it's just (obviously)
got an extra row of seats...storage space in some way...but look close

Thumbs Up SKIP
Post #614040 2nd Apr 2017 5:40pm
Sammyboy

Wild Card 90 wrote:
Sammy, the decision as to whether you go for a 90 or 110 isnīt straight forward. They each have their advantages, both with and without a trailer. A 110 will offer better directional stability by virtue of itīs longer wheelbase. However, because the distance from the rear axle to the tow bracket is also longer, the trailer is able to exert more leverage on the tow vehicle. When manouvring in close quarters, the 90 also has a clear advantage. The 110 is the clear winner if you have family, dogs, and/or alot of equipment on board, even when the caravan is at home. A 90 is a great 2 seater, is quieter and demands less from both heater and AC. The short wheelbase ride is however an aquired taste on bumpy roads Laughing

Concerning the tow ball height, this is my solution. My 90 has about 2" lift on heavy duty springs and large diameter 255/85 tyres, and because I have a number of standard height dual axle trailers, i wanted to get the towball down to the usual 41 - 43 cm height. Using the factory Land Rover tow bracket, and a 90 mm drop - ball from Thule, the centre of the tow ball is at 44cm unloaded, and goes down to about 42 cm once a trailer with 100 Kg hitch weight is hooked up.
The tow has a D-value of 25 and can take up to 200 Kg hitch weight, so is well suited for the job.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thanks very much Wildcard for taking the time to give a detailed response. The Thule tow-ball looks a very good option that is less cumbersome than the Dixon Bate Adjustable tow-bar. As I will only tow a caravan a fixed height ball would be preferrable. Do you have any details of Part No etc or where I would be able to get one should I need to. Cheers.
Post #614062 2nd Apr 2017 6:31pm
Sammyboy

X4SKP wrote:
Hello Sammyboy

Again its about exactly how your potential 90 or 110 is set up

I have oversized Wheels and Tyre's that all came with the Defender
(prepared for a customer that changed his mind then needed a 'quick' sell)

They are a 20' Concept LRX Wheels developed for the Range Rover with 275/60R20 Cooper Zeon Tyres
fitted, I originally intended to swap them but have just got use to them, but they are 33''high so this will
raise the Defender.

My figures are a Tow Ball height of 375mm when fitted to the NAS Rear Step if transferred to the Rear Cross Member
(lowest two fixing positions) would then give around a 460mm, so 30mm higher than you need...standard Tyre's and you maybe close...

The picture appears wrong on the 260 Height Adjustable DB (worth checking)...

This is the 200

90 / 110....decision decisions The Storage Space in a 110 is very similar to the 90 it's just (obviously)
got an extra row of seats...storage space in some way...but look close

Thumbs Up

Thanks once again for your helpful reply. I agree with you about the photo of the 260mm bar on the DB website. I'll call them for clarification. I also agree with your conclusion that I would be very close with my tow-ball height. Having said that our measurements don't include luggage/kit/dog weight in the 90 or the approx 100kg caravan nose weight; both would lower the tow-ball. Cheers again.
Post #614066 2nd Apr 2017 6:49pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Sammy,
The Thule part is 530072.
Couldn't find a UK Thule supplier, although I'm sure with a little bit research, you'll find one.
I bought mine here online -
Ramader.de

This is the one -

https://www.kupplung.de/universal-kugelkopf-4-loch-122042.html

Strangely the D- value stamped on the manufacturer's plate, is 25. The description on the website says 20.2. Both values are enough to accommodate 3.5 tons, behind a Defender.

Stephen 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #614145 3rd Apr 2017 6:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>