1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #613372 30th Mar 2017 8:28pm
Pinky

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Baltic Blue
dorsetsmith wrote:
if you place transfer box in neutral make same sound ?

a frame ball clacking then drive off

also are all prop shaft UJ ok

I can't tell, it doesn't make the noise if your not under load. A frame ball joint replaced with adjustable one, uj's fine!

It's engine!
Post #613380 30th Mar 2017 8:47pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
cam chain, cam-valves. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #613466 30th Mar 2017 11:57pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
With that noise, and the 'not dry' injector outer seals it could be the beginning of one of the injector clamp bolts working itself loose:

As a test, take off the cover when idle and see if you can see any movement, also try to fasten both clamp bolts, if either is easy to move just nip it up a bit and see if you get any improvement.

Do not give it guts - the bolt, that is - it's a torque to yield style bolt that could conceivably 'torque to failure', not what you want Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #613468 31st Mar 2017 12:11am
Snorkers

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Hi Punky,
I recently diagnosed and fixed a nasty mechanical knock from my 2007 2.4. It was the alternator pulley failing. I was previously under the impression it was a plain pulley and wouldn't have even been aware of looking there for a problem. It has an over run facility and was intermittently locking in with a hard knock when it should have been free wheeling.

I had tried the listening with a long screwdriver trick but even 'listning' on the nose of the alternator didn't pinpoint the sound.

To discount this or any other external pulley/accessory, you can relieve the serpentine belt tensioner and slip the belt off a pulley. If not removing it entirely then just be sure the belt is clear of the crank pulley. That way the alternator, vac pump, power steering pump, water pump and w/o compressor can be ruled in out.

Strongly advise against driving the vehicle without belt fitted as no p/s, power brakes or coolant circulating but if warm it shouldn't hurt to run briefly.

This might not isolate your noise but its family a fairly painless process and is a good place to start

Hope you get to the cause because we can all feel the pain of worrying noises!

Regards as always

Snorkers
Post #613588 31st Mar 2017 2:13pm
Pinky

MK, don't know how to test for them apart from stripping it down, although i would have expected that to make a noise all the time if the adjuster has gone...

agentmulder, already done that and they are as tight as...

Snorkers, I'll have to just try and take it off and give it a good shake! I have already tried slacking off the belt but the noise doesn't appear until i'm driving!

It's definitely load and throttle position dependant, it will happen at virtually any speed as long as the load and throttle are in sync!
Post #613609 31st Mar 2017 5:15pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
I have already tried slacking off the belt but the noise doesn't appear until i'm driving!

Taking it for a short drive with the fan belt removed wouldn't be a problem. Just bear in mind the list of things mentioned above that won't be working. It could even be the crank pulley failing, once the engine gets to certain harmonics it sets up a vibration.
Post #613619 31st Mar 2017 6:25pm
Pinky

Already had a crowbar at the crankshaft pulley, seems pretty solid, again, difficult to tell how much it should move on the rubber Shocked
Post #613666 31st Mar 2017 8:39pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
uuum, well after my VCV change and pilot correction/pump relearn mine went from clack to purr ...

Do you by chance have a BAS remap or other diagnostic tool that can do a relearn? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #613681 31st Mar 2017 9:44pm
Pinky

Yes, I do why?
Post #613691 31st Mar 2017 10:22pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
It could be the VCV going out of tolerance with respect to the last time a pilot correction and pump learn were done.

No need to get a new VCV yet, just try the 2 procedures and see if it helps?

Long shot, but at least it's only time spent Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #613700 31st Mar 2017 11:16pm
Pinky

So, just had an interesting hour with the diagnostic tool. I don't generally like messing with things but thought what the hell i'll do it!
Checked through everything to make sure there were no obvious problems and set about an injector learn and pilot learn.

Neither will happen Big Cry I get "Fuel injector command state: injector for cylinder 1,2,3,4 overridden"
Pilot learn won't happen either just get process didn't complete OXOA or some similar result!

I'm well annoyed as my indy that fitted the VCV wouldn't fit one if i bought it myself because "so many cheap ones won't pilot learn". Looks like his expensive one didn't either!

Or I wonder if it's the re-map, I did read somewhere that learning should be done in the original factory state then put the map on.

Not sure where to go now, it's booked in with the injection people next week but i'm wondering if I should go back to the indy and ask him to take a look. Not sure how to get him to re-learn it without him blaming me for tinkering myself, he's not the most approachable man at the best of times!!
Post #613753 1st Apr 2017 11:34am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
That fault code sounds like the injectors havent been programmed correctly?

Do the serial numbers on the injectors match the ones your diagnostic tool throws up?
Post #613846 1st Apr 2017 8:29pm
Pinky

No, they are similar but not right.
Post #613858 1st Apr 2017 8:50pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Well, I hope this path leads to the solution and hasn't simply opened up a can of unrelated worms!

If it's a BAS remap you've got then yes the map should be returned to standard before the procedures, then returned to stage 1 (or whatever you have).

Although I haven't tried it I believe the BAS version of the tool also has injector code programming function... (?)

If so, I'd go right ahead and reprogram them, then the pilot correction/pump stuff, then be chasing up whoever did the last work on the fuel system to fix the fault (this assumes all this doesn't fix it) - if they cant do injector codes then what else have they stuffed up? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #613901 1st Apr 2017 10:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>