↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Quick disconnect unions that are stuck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dingo

Quick disconnect unions that are stuck
BACKGROUND
07 Puma, with fuel starvation problems after running for 5 to 10 minutes. Worse with a trailer.

I have replaced the fuel filter (R rear wheel arch) twice in three months with no improvement, so the suggestion is a blockage in the pickup in the tank.

The tank was removed, steam cleaned, new rollover tube, about 6 months ago to cure the starvation. Worked OK for a while, but starvation has returned incrementally.

I am now trying to blow back from the fuel filter towards the tanks with a gentle air line, to listen for a bublling sound to show the supply line is clear. There are two fuel lines between the tank and the filter; one thick, one thin, and they have different quick connect fittings.

The thin line disconnects easily by pressing the two blue dots and moving the union fowards and backwards. I guess this is the return line to the tank.

PROBLEM
The thick (supply ?) line has a bigger connector with a single blue patch. Pressing this (after blowing muck away with an air line and brush) enable the union to move to and fro about 3mm. But does not release. I cannot see a safety clip or similar additional clip on the union, just one blue rectangle.

What am I doing wrong please ? And if, as it just about possible, the QD union is knackerd and jammed, how best to replace and refit one please ?

Of course, my runabout Berlingo has also gone on strike in sympathy with a suspension problem . Cars, doncha love 'em ?

thanks guys.
Post #613254 30th Mar 2017 10:45am
dorsetsmith

this may help with parts

https://www.landroverworkshop.com/diagrams...ines_45021

sound like fuel bug
Post #613287 30th Mar 2017 12:30pm
Dingo

FIXED IT ! Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

The connector that stuck is the one with the long blue tab on the fat tube.

I guess that when the tank was taken out some time ago, the pipes were pulled tight, giving an angle towards the centreline of the chassis.

I blew an airline with a bit more force onto the connector to dislodge any residual gritty bits, then gave a tiny squirt of sacred WD40.

Pressed the blue tab down hard with the shaft of a screwdriver rather than a squishy thumb, and then wiggled the connector in all directions.

As soon as I got the fuel supply pipe in alignment with the spigot of the filter head, the fitting clicked off easily.

Puffed air back down the supply line; slow bubbles heard at first, then quicker ones. And I then reconnected everything. And practised taking it off again - seeemples when you know how !

Time taken in failing - about 2.5 hours. When it all worked properly - about 10 minutes !

I am back in love with my Landrover :)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #613310 30th Mar 2017 2:59pm
dorsetsmith

Confused are you saying it will only run for 2. 1/2 hr
Post #613318 30th Mar 2017 3:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1