Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clunk from gear linkage, plus rattle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Clunk from gear linkage, plus rattle
Hi all,

Just wondering if you can give me some guidance. 110's finally going into the dealer next week, for:

New ECU and new clutch.

There were some minor niggles that I was gonig to wait until first service for (it's now done 10k miles, 5000 of which in 3 months). However, there are at least several other problems I've found Neutral :

- Both front swivels seem to be leaking grease.

- Gear linkage seems very clunky. This happens even when clutch is depressed. Where is the slop likely to be?

- There is a constant rattle (like a stone in tyre) that appears to be coming from front o/s wheel. Any ideas? Brake rattle?

- Still got my slight screeching sound, noticeable now when the car is hot, and restarted. on light throttle and for first 30 seconds or so.

Think my dealer might be busy. Hoping these niggles can be sorted out, so I can enjoy trouble-free motoring once agian.... Whistle 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #56037 1st Feb 2011 6:09pm
gtveloce65

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
Hi James, all sounds very familiar to me:

- swivels are 'wet seals' so designed to ooze what should be oil, as far as I know, not grease. Funny, never had this on my old series and range rovers - and before anyone comes back, they did have oil in the swivel housings Wink So probably worth mentioning
- Clunky gear change - my new clutch helped a bit, new gearbox helped a bit more, but still not great...'there all like it sir'...well not exactly, as I've driven a 90 that really wasn't, so worth raising with your dealer
- There was an LR fix for the front brake pads rattling which cured a similar problem in mone. But my back ones have rattled since new and that's never been resolved - very irritating in the summer with the windows open!

I think it's always worth raising things which are unexpected for a new vehicle, or where symptoms have started after a while that may point to a problem.

By the way, if your dealer updates the ECU with the latest patce(s), it's a mixed blessing...I now have a smoother and torquier engine than ever - but seemingly at the cost of poorer fuel consumption...be interested to see how you get on, cheers, Clive 1953 80
1965 Alfa Romeo GT Veloce Sprint
1980 Fiat 124 Spider
2008 110xs
Post #56260 2nd Feb 2011 6:20pm
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Thanks Clive. I will mention them all to the dealer.

Will let you know how I get on!

Regards, 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #56342 2nd Feb 2011 11:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1