↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > opinions on dodgy wheel and tyre set please.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
"A stamping error at the factory" that sounds complete bullsh!t. I doubt any insurance company would believe that.
They can't be a reputable supplier either, shipping damaged goods that are wrongly advertised or incorrectly certified.

Just goes to prove you get what you pay for. Cheap knock off copies of an original design.
Please let us know the supplier when you're sorted.
Post #611855 24th Mar 2017 4:21pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Question if they have been stamped incorrectly then they would fail an inspection, they should of never been released from the factory. It is all very well the company claiming that they have paperwork but I doubt Vosa will even entertain the idea of it when you say: "I'm not overloaded I bought these and X--company say they have this......"

Send them back they are not correctly marked which might effect you legally as you might find it difficult to get this "paperwork" to prove otherwise, I doubt each wheel has a serial number, maybe a batch number? Stamped on which they could possibly tie in with the paperwork?

Either way they are not as advertised and now you have the quality control that rim was damaged prior to fitment of the tyre, if they neglected to notice that and the wheels are incorrectly stamped what other defects could be hidden from view?

Remember the only thing that keeps your defender in contact with the ground is four tyres mounted on four rims, buy the best you can afford, if it means waiting a while to get the shinny alloys then wait, it's better to have approved wheels than cheap copies. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #611856 24th Mar 2017 4:28pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
"a stamping error at the factory" Rolling with laughter
Post #611858 24th Mar 2017 5:08pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Don't take any nonsense from them - as has already been said take a screenshot of the website to confirm what they are being sold as.

The wheels will not have been 'stamped' individually but instead the mould into which they have been poured will have the impression in it which will then appear on the cast wheel along with any other information.

If you happened to buy them via eBay then simply submit a claim for refund saying they are not as advertised (again take a screenshot from the original item sale page) - this way the seller has to pay for the collection under the eBay terms and conditions.

If you bought them online from the sellers website and used a credit card to pay for them then call your credit card company and tell them the goods are not what were advertised and you are not paying for them so can they please reclaim the payment they made to the seller etc.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Post #611859 24th Mar 2017 5:09pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
At least the company you bought them from is being good about the mistake, though I can feel your disappointment at being sold a substandard buckled wheel and a set of wheels that make you feel could be dangerous.

Like others have said, the seller saying they have the correct paperwork does not really cut it, and would not I feel hold up if a claim was made against you in an accident.

As has been suggested eBay is very good with claims, as are credit card companies, also if you paid via PayPal they are also excellent when it comes to claiming back monies and sorting out disputes.

I hope you have a satisfactory end to this and get the wheels you wished for in the end. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #611860 24th Mar 2017 5:50pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Hopefully all will be sorted next week. the courier has been arranged for Tuesday. The company have been really good. I spoke to the manager who explained that the load rating of 975kg is more than Land Rover specify (XTech wheel rated at 950kg apparently).

They have not been incorrectly stamped and these are the better quality version of the wheel, made in partnership with wolf race and TUV approved etc. etc. The 1050kg stamped wheel are the Chinese rim and of inferior quality.

even so, I have decided to spend my money with a company that don't send out buckled wheels.

Hence I shall not be naming them here 2002 110 td5
Post #611870 24th Mar 2017 6:07pm
Jimb1978

I forgot to say thanks for your input. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to disputes and the opinions voiced on here gave me the confidence to stick to my guns about sending them all back Thumbs Up

And to answer the question about size, they were 265 75 16 2002 110 td5
Post #611882 24th Mar 2017 7:08pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Send back. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #611887 24th Mar 2017 7:28pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
To be honest the weight marked on the wheel doesn't mean a lot. 975, 1050, 4000kg the manufacturer could put anything on them, it doesn't mean the wheel is rated to that. If the UK supplier received them, from the manufacturer with the wrong weights on them then they should have just rejected them.

The paper work doesn't mean much either as there's no way of matching it up with the wheels you have.

I bought genuine ones, they're more expensive (discounted price was about £1200 for a set of 5 with caps), but i know i don't have to worry about them being up to the job.

If they've sent one with such obvious damage on it, it doesn't speak well of your suppliers reputation.
Post #611893 24th Mar 2017 8:18pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I do hope return shipping for the lot has been their cost ? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #611896 24th Mar 2017 8:26pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
You are far more generous than I would be.

If I'm reading this right, not only were you sent a defective rim but your supplier did not inform you about the load rating issues prior to sale - these were discovered by yourself after delivery. Surely this is something that the supplier ought to disclose on any advertisement but they have chosen not to do so. How many others have bought from this supplier and are possibly unaware of rating discrepancies and resultant questionable safety? Such purchasers may well find themselves in jeopardy in the event of any of the unfortunate situations alluded to by others above.

Personally, in order to forewarn fellow enthusiasts I would name and shame on an forum such as we have here.

Right, climbing down off my soapbox now.
Post #611899 24th Mar 2017 8:35pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Would be interesting to see how long it takes for them to change the item details on their website...

I had an issue with a first four order once (no where near as dodgy as the wheels in question). They had the item details changed immediately, a good sign in my opinion. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #611900 24th Mar 2017 8:39pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
It's a pain when stuff turns up damaged but at least they're taking them back without a fight. You'll have to come round so I can have a look when you've got the new ones on Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #611978 25th Mar 2017 1:35am
Jimb1978

Will do Thumbs Up

It's a shame really because they looked really good. They were a very dark anthracite 2002 110 td5
Post #611988 25th Mar 2017 8:13am
Rkcorry

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Apologies jimb for sidetracking your thread, I too have taken delivery of a set of sawtooth alloys.
The picture below is of a genuine rim, with what appears to have been, or attempted to be fitted with a tyre.
The set of five where bought as genuine new alloys.
Should I send this one back or expect that the next tyre fitter will do something similar to the other four.

Thanks in advance..
Post #612131 25th Mar 2017 10:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>