↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Alan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 19 <123 456 ... 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
I agree... I never use supermarket fuel.. my day to day car is a hybrid so I use mostly electric and fill up with petrol every other month or so as I get over a thousand miles on 40 litres as long as I charge it every day at home.. Still I stick to Shell, BP or Esso...
I have the Landy on classic insurance with 3,000 miles/year but I'm fast approaching that after 7 months so I will need to inform the insurance broker.. I must say I do prefer driving the Landy though Cool 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #619668 26th Apr 2017 4:30pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I wouldn't worry too much about supermarket fuel, a 200Tdi will run on pretty much anything remotely combustible.

In the 107,000 miles of driving that I have recorded on my phone Tesco fuel ranks amongst the highest in terms of average MPG, and I've never noticed any difference between brands in all that distance and 15,000 litres of diesel.

Click image to enlarge

That said, every vehicle is different so if it makes it feel better go for it.
Post #619711 26th Apr 2017 7:47pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Wow.. impressive figures, thanks Retroanaconda,..Do you use a specific App to record your mileage etc? I know old diesels will run on veg oil etc... I've just avoided the supermarkets since that fuel incident a few years ago that contaminated quite a few cars... 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #619731 26th Apr 2017 8:42pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I use an app called Road Trip. Works very well.
Post #619807 26th Apr 2017 11:06pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
What are your Bump stops like on this? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #620674 1st May 2017 1:11am
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
My bump stops are bog standard ones from what I can remember... I will have a look next time I'm out.. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #620927 1st May 2017 11:34pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Well this came today.....

It's a slick shift, not fitted it yet though... It's not really for me it's for the other driver that struggles to find the right gears... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Also ordered some new shocks, bilstein B6...

Replaced the bonnet release with a TD5 one as I had to cut mine off to fit the X-Eng pedal lock.. and put a new drivers door handle on and fixed the rattle in the door ... Well I hope the rattle is fixed... I haven't taken him out since...

I have also bought lots of oils so everything can be changed.. I am getting a mechanic I know to do that though as it's a pain getting rid of the old stuff since the council tip shut near me. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #621703 4th May 2017 7:42pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Today I finished one of the mirrors....
before:

Click image to enlarge

After:

Click image to enlarge
 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #622842 9th May 2017 11:12am
Procta

United Kingdom 
bilstein B6s is what I have on my 306 I think, they are a good upgrade over the original, and not stupidly stiff. Are you getting new springs too and polybushes?
It would save you a job later on. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #622877 9th May 2017 1:46pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Hi Procta..
I have ordered some polybushes for the dampers... I keep umming and ahhhing over the springs, mine are new but the Alive comfort springs are tempting......
I have seen the guides on how the do the shocks and think I could do them without taking off the wheel but obviously I would have to take the wheels off to do the springs and thats whats stopping me getting the springs as worry I won't be able to 'man' handle the wheels back on...getting it on the back door was hard enough.. it's getting the alloy wheel nuts on whilst holding the wheel up... Is there a flange on the hub that the wheel sits on?
Also I may have a leaky fuel filler pipe.. I have had another look at your posts on this.. I shall investigate mine further....

Have you got any nearer with your MOT yet? 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #622909 9th May 2017 3:15pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I did look at the comfort springs too, before I bought the setup I have now. They were 300 quid just for the springs, I got the full works sorted for less than that. So I could put the left over cash towards what ever needed doing.
The wheels are a bit of a nightmare to get on due to the weight of them, they do sit on the flange but the only problem is lining the bloody wheel up with the stud. Once they are on your laughing.
Fuel leak wise, Fill the tank right up and then check out the top of the tank, if its new. ( check if all the pickup and return pipes are tight) who ever did mine didn't tighten those up for a start, if the tank is old, then it may have gone where the two halves are sealed/welded,
Id do what I did with the fuel neck setup. Smile Sometimes people only do half arsed jobs Shocked
My Peugeots mot is tomorrow, as soon as that's out of the way I can get this banged in. With me working 15 miles away I really need a car for work. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #623044 9th May 2017 11:58pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Cheers... I will check the jubilee clips on the pipes firstly then.. It is a new tank so it should be ok... I'm thinking its just the connections as that seems to be where the dampness is on the rubber pipe...
Today I fitted some inner wing thingy-me-bobs from Gwyn Lewis.. an impulse buy when I was looking at springs and things... Well actually I've only fitted one and it was a bit of a pig as Alan has galvanised inner wings....

Click image to enlarge

I gave the chassis and bulkhead behind it a clean and a good wipe down with ACF50 before fitting.. I intend to do something with the inner wings, either dinitrol underbody wax or some Buzzweld W.A.R....

The Bilsteins are still in the box.... Rolling Eyes 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #624658 16th May 2017 5:55pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Realised today I do need a vice... a metal one Laughing I fitted the rear dampers but couldn't get the upper poly's in without a vice so I used what came with the damper...
First one took me hours Embarassed .. second one about an hour..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #624880 17th May 2017 4:31pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
mine came with metal ones at the top, so left them a lone. The bottom ones I polybushed, which was a bit of a fiddle, but sorted. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #624891 17th May 2017 5:03pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
I put poly in the bottom.. well I didn't the first time but i took if off and did it again when I realised I had used the wrong washer on the bottom mount... Whistle 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #624893 17th May 2017 5:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 19 <123 456 ... 171819>