↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Decision Time!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tony

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Decision Time!
My 2012 90" is coming up to its 5th birthday and I'm wondering what to do! This is the longest I've owned a vehicle as I tend to change at around 4 years old, but the Land Rover has kinda grown on me! It's had its problems including the usual ones of gearbox shaft failure (19k miles), rattling clutch (48k miles), leaking oil (from new), turbo hose failure (45k miles) plus the engine oil pump was replaced, all under warranty. However, I'm now wondering if I should pay for a further years extended warranty and keep it, or sell it whilst the going's good. Previously I've owned a number of Suzuki 4x4s and have thought about buying another Jimny before they stop making those too, I don't need a Defender as I don't tow or go offroad, but I do like vehicles that have some character and aren't full of gizmos (the pet hate being buttons on steering wheels). As the problems I've had with the Defender were mostly related to poor build quality I was wondering if I could expect anything to fail soon or should most things be OK once the initial problems were sorted out? Another option I've considered was to buy an older Defender / Series 3 that's been rebuilt but doesn't have the sensors and DPF etc that the later model has (nor the heating/demisting unfortunately!).

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Tony
Post #610078 17th Mar 2017 2:16pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Keep that one and get an older defender without the gizmos to use when the next thing on that one breaks Thumbs Up
Post #610079 17th Mar 2017 2:23pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Sounds like you have had the majority of the main problems that occur fixed. You could consider having the rear half shafts replaced with the later ones or just budget for them if they fail, but I would keep it after all the work that has been done.
Post #610093 17th Mar 2017 3:45pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Tony, Jimny production won't be ending anytime soon. The model is getting an upgrade in 2018
Post #610094 17th Mar 2017 3:49pm
Tony

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Thanks Rockster - that's good news! As always, there are so many rumours, some saying the 2018 Jimny will be a new vehicle, but if it's just an upgrade then that's music to the ears. One of the alleged 'replacements' turned out to be the new Ignis car.

Cheers!
Post #610105 17th Mar 2017 4:38pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
My scoop originates from within the franchise but having said that, my info is only as good as my informants'. Perhaps the "new" Jimny will turn out to be a new Liana Laughing
Post #610113 17th Mar 2017 5:07pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My only advice is - KEEP IT. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #610114 17th Mar 2017 5:08pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Keep it and remember the cost of any failures will still be less than the depreciation of anything new you may replace it with, just make sure you rust proof it well DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #610130 17th Mar 2017 6:46pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Keep it , if you sell it you will regret it Thumbs Up
Post #610151 17th Mar 2017 7:54pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I guess your asking on the wrong forum... Smile

Fact is your losing very little now on the Defender and you know it... most bits done and you can choose to upgrade many others as you wish as so many parts available...

I've recently bought a SIII for tinkering with and it makes the Defender feel like a Rolls after driving that Smile should be great fun for summer...if we get one.

Then even with these or SII's the prices are on the up Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #610179 17th Mar 2017 9:11pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I'd say keep it, at least for the next couple of years or so, and see how you go, the way things are going, it looks like it won't depreciate much any further,...so yes, I'd just hang on for a while, & see how you feel then.
Pickles.
Post #610183 17th Mar 2017 9:17pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Keep it!
There is as little point in selling a Defender after five years as selling after four. It isn't becoming out of date. That already happened about thirty years ago, when airbags came along. The only single dilemma you have, is whether you are better off with an older restored Series or stay with your 2012. That depends on whether it is your daily driver or a fun car for the weekends. If you cash in the Defender for a Series, and run a nondescript rolling smartphone as your daily, you will be missing out, too. Waving at Defender owners, and wondering why they don't see you.

It has already been said, keep the Defender, and save up for a Series..... 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #610274 18th Mar 2017 10:17am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Stacey007 wrote:

Fact is your losing very little now on the Defender and you know it... most bits done and you can choose to upgrade many others as you wish as so many parts available...

I've recently bought a SIII for tinkering with and it makes the Defender feel like a Rolls after driving that Smile should be great fun for summer...if we get one.

Click image to enlarge

Excellent choice. The ultimate way to remap, soundproof and generally upgrade your Defender, is to buy an older Series as well. As you say. A weekend in the classic, and the Defender feels quite modern and civilised.👍 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #610275 18th Mar 2017 10:22am
Procta

United Kingdom 
I would say if you have sorted those main faults, then there is no point in getting rid. At the end of they these are an investment. So getting your hands on another good one will be harder down the line really. You could sell it and go older but then again you will have to go down the route of sorting that one out. No point really in buying a restored one, due to the fact you have a good working one already. Mine has teething problems and so does my 306. you tell me what car doesn't, if really started to cause you daft amount of money, then I would say get shot there and then. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #610314 18th Mar 2017 4:08pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Stacey007 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Not a bad little fella there! got to say this you are brave having two! I don't think I could handle another one! Even as a replacement to the 306! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #610315 18th Mar 2017 4:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>