Home > Td5 > oil in ECU plug, questions please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
oil in ECU plug, questions please
HI all

noticed some oil in the drivers seat box and having read about oil ingress checked the plug which unfortunately was full of black oil. Have unplugged and partially cleaned including removing the ECU and taking the lid off.

See attached photos. (when servers working properly)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I can't see any oil inside the ecu housing however wondered if it collects underneath? I'm am not aware that my 110 is having any issues. Does is soak through the chip board? The area near all the connectors looks a little odd, almost like a rippling effect whereas in other places its smooth. The big chip also looks a bit odd on the top.

Will have to change the injector harness and continue to clean the oil away over time however anyone else have any advice on this issue. What brand is best to replace it with? Is it worth having the eco checked for faults?

Thanks Mark
Post #609679 15th Mar 2017 8:09pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Unless it's a really bad case I wouldn't worry about oil inside the ecu, especially if the defender seems to be running fine. As you said replace the injector loom and clean the red plug out regularly with electrical contact cleaner and you'll probably find it more power returning when it's all clean.

Edit: only go for an oem or genuine injector loom and I sealed mine and haven't had oil in the red plug since. I put a thread up with some pics on here somewhere if you fancy hunting it out. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #609695 15th Mar 2017 9:03pm
bogwert

Scotland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
I had the same issue.

Although the oil wasn't coming from the injector loom but form the Front Cam seal and Rocker Gasket.
Replaced the 2, cleaned out the red plug and left the ECU in a bowl of rice overnight.

Haven't had an issue since. Chris

2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE
2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #609797 16th Mar 2017 11:44am
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Be sure to re-seal the ECU cover when you put it back on with some silicone or other sealant. 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #609840 16th Mar 2017 2:39pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Oil is not a real problem. Real problem are tiny pins in injector connectors, high temperature of these and high current used for controlling of the injectors (approx.. 80A)
Just clean the connector with a break cleaner without acetone and let it dry. You can also replace o-ring on the injector loom connector on the input od loom into the engine head.
Sealing the top lid of ECU is nice idea - use some neutral sealant. And look on those 4mm holes in the bottom lid of ECU. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #609934 16th Mar 2017 9:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1